PDA

View Full Version : $14 reloading room bench

colbyjack
01-06-2008, 02:12 AM
well kinda, spent $14 on some 2x4's today. i had 5 in the basement already and i had some partical board in the garage left over from something 3 years ago. so i deside to make another bench for my reloading room. added some shelves under it too. man we had 4 people sittin on it. its not going anywhere. moved my case trimmer up a lil higher so i could either stand or use the bar stool. mounted the old table off to the side and mounted my Mec jr. seems to me the reloading room is coming around nice. i need a exhaust fan, and another bright light to hang. heres a couple in the process pics and after pics. its 24" deep and 68" long on the one leg and 24" deep by 79" off the other leg.

before we started

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f186/hawgz/areloadingroom001.jpg

1/2 way

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f186/hawgz/areloadingroom004.jpg

mec mounted on the side

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f186/hawgz/areloadingroom008.jpg

finished bench

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f186/hawgz/areloadingroom007.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f186/hawgz/areloadingroom009.jpg

making room for my luber and electric pot. -chris

Swamprat1052
01-06-2008, 02:25 AM
Nice, you have a good big area to work with. I never lived where I had a basement. I am reloading in a 6x6 room and its crowded. That bench will sure work, looks kinda like I did mine. I like your room and it was sure cheap enough. My kinda hobby. I like the flag too. They let you have that in Illinois?

Swamprat

colbyjack
01-06-2008, 02:37 AM
heres the bench on the other wall in that room. its kinda nice having it all organized. now if i can just keep it clean..... lol

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f186/hawgz/xmas07051.jpg

-chris

Saint
01-06-2008, 06:26 AM
I built my own bench once out of plastic. It worked great for a few weeks till i was pouring ingots and overfilled a muffin pan. It was almost worth the lost bench just to see what hot lead does to a 3 level plastic bench. I ended up with a lot of lead mixed with plastic that I had to smelt clean. That was smelly. Nice setup you got there. I live in an apartment so a garage and/or basement is still a dream for me for now I have to make due on my back porch. On the plus side however, since i started casting in full view of my neighbors I have 2 neighbors who have started casting too.

jawjaboy
01-06-2008, 09:15 AM
Looks like that'll do it CJ! Fine job. Fine job. :cool:

testhop
01-06-2008, 09:22 AM
hey C.B. ilike it the best part is the pic of the casting space you should have room to work and i love the flag

randyrat
01-06-2008, 09:39 AM
Very Nice! I like the Flate top AR/free floot hand gaurd,Stainless heavy barrel, and the scope's nothing to sneeze about. Nothing like we had in the ML

Dross
01-06-2008, 09:39 AM
Very Nice!

Wish I had that kind of space!

Blackhawk Convertable
01-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Way too clean. Need to give it that "I get interrupted ever 5 minutes" look.

Very nicely done!

colbyjack
01-06-2008, 11:25 AM
yeah i cant wait to get started on the casting. im going to order that 20 pound pot today from midway. still dont know if the star luber takes solid or hollow lube sticks.

i like having the gun room, compared to my garage. here in the midwest everything sweats so bad in the garage. way to much humidity in the summer. and way to cold in the winter. hopefully i can get the hang of it and shoot a few of my cast boolits in next months IPSC match.

but got to run out to grandpas and dig thru the snow for some lead. he said he has some ingots for me. -chris

Boz330
01-06-2008, 12:49 PM
Way too clean. Need to give it that "I get interrupted ever 5 minutes" look.

Very nicely done!

Yeh, mine isn't that neat either. Built my gun room way to small. Looked big at the time but not now.

Bob

centershot
01-06-2008, 01:52 PM
I'm jealous!

Swamprat1052
01-06-2008, 02:06 PM
Man I cant walk into mine without moving something. Do you keep it that clean all the time?

Real nice room.

Swamprat

Slowpoke
01-06-2008, 03:15 PM
So where's the base board, can't quit now :)

colbyjack
01-06-2008, 03:50 PM
Do you keep it that clean all the time?
Swamprat

lol not really, but i only reload for a few calibers now so its stays pretty clean. -chris

singleshotbuff
01-07-2008, 12:12 AM
I've had 4 or 5 different reloading/gun rooms over the last 18 years and I've learned that no matter the size of your room, your stuff WILL multiply to fill it.

My first reloading "room" was a closet in my bedroom in dad & mom's condo. It couldn't have been bigger than 30" X 6ft. I had 1 press and everything fit just fine. Then things started growing.

My current gun room is about 12'X12' and I now have 8 presses on the benches and I'm outta room again. Thinking of converting another room into a shotshell reloading room to move 4 of the presses into.

Enough rambling, nice looking room ya got there.

SSB

armoredman
01-07-2008, 12:38 AM
Sheesh...all my reloading gear is in an old tv stand...color me very jealous...NICE.

454PB
01-07-2008, 01:21 AM
Nice!

That's a monster speaker cabinet you got there. I bet it gets moved before you're done installing reloading and casting equipment.

Star lubersizers will take solid sticks....or hollow sticks. It actually works better to melt the lube and pour it in, that way you don't get any trapped air pockets.

PatMarlin
01-07-2008, 03:16 AM
Nice benches. I think I'm going to build a new big gunroom this year... :drinks:

black44hawk
01-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Boy, looking at all these pics makes me want to get pre-approved for a loan! However, I do not mind reloading in my 5'x3' utility closet. The acoustics are perfect for conservative talk radio.

Gussy
01-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Very nice looking set up. Solid looking bench design. A good bench makes life a lot easier.
Gus

colbyjack
01-07-2008, 11:27 PM
Very nice looking set up. Solid looking bench design. A good bench makes life a lot easier.
Gus

thanks gus, its pretty dang soild.

on a side note grandpa came up and took out the .45/70 die out of my luber and installed the .45 one. think its about dialed in. all i need to do is cast. i set it up with some old cast ones i took the lube off of. looks to be working.

now i need to make a shoot or something so they roll down into a bucket or something.

he brought me up a xtra barell and bushing for my 1911. said throw this in your bag incase something goes wrong in a match. you can at least swap and finish. he said the barell is old. he said they came out of his 1913 colt 1911.... not sure if i want to run them as a spare or hang onto them..... -chris