PDA

View Full Version : Stuck case

Tatume
04-28-2014, 06:53 AM
Hello Folks,

I知 sick with the flu and maybe not making the best decisions, but yesterday decided I was feeling well enough to load some 358 Winchester ammo. As I was resizing cases they started getting harder and harder to push into and extract from the FL die. Guessing I may have forgotten to lube a row of cases I stopped and checked. They all had the white film of Lee Resizing Lubricant, inside and out. So I tried one more and pulled off the rim.

Later when I知 feeling better I値l drill and tap the case and extract it with a bolt and socket wrench. But I知 puzzled by the incident. The only thing I can think of was that the most recent firing was a near max load (one grain below max on the Hodgdon web site). Maybe they were excessively expanded?

If it happens again I値l stop and re-lube with Imperial Sizing Die Wax. But in the meantime, anybody have any thoughts?

Take care, Tom

44man
04-28-2014, 07:29 AM
I have had trouble with a few lubes. One caliber needed pure lanolin but I found Hornady Unique lube works fine. Sizing die wax will cure it for you.

ubetcha
04-28-2014, 07:50 AM
Now if we could only get sizing lube to cure the flu.:bigsmyl2:

dondiego
04-28-2014, 09:53 AM
Don't use chapstick for a case lube. I stuck a .380 case. Well, duh?

lightman
04-28-2014, 11:22 AM
I've never used Lee lube but lots of spray or liquid lubes need to be shaken to mix the m up before use and left on the case long enough to dry. Thats about the only thought that I have. Lightman

fouronesix
04-28-2014, 11:25 AM
What you said is what likely happened. Each round fired expands and work hardens the case- especially in the web area (less spring back). Which will require more sizing force which will require paying closer attention to lubing and feeling how much force is required during the sizing stroke. Some lubes do better than others and I've found the standard, old type, regular "lanolin" based lubes like RCBS, etc, applied to a pad seems to work best over the long run. Imperial is OK and can be applied to the pad also- right over the top of the regular lube- if it make you feel better. I know that many reloaders like to "speriment" with the latest greatest lubes to avoid the messy case clean-up afterwords, but sooner or later some of the new methods may "come back to bite"--- stuck case. Or obviously failing to lube one row will do exactly what you explained.... stiff, hard, harder, harder, harder until-- stuck case! as the lube on the surface of the sizing die is depleted.

Dan Cash
04-28-2014, 11:28 AM
Lanolin based spray lubes flat work. Others not so much. I prefer lanolin or my lanolin/ beewas/neats foot oil bullet lube on my fingers to lube the cases. The spray lube sold by Dillon and by Sagebrush Outfitters is also excellent.

44man
04-28-2014, 11:37 AM
RCBS lube seems to be STP and does work. Spray lubes are not in my book.
I like a lube that I can wipe off the brass with a rag.
Lube left on brass increases head pressure, it must be clean. Lee says it does no harm and that is wrong so how does it size? How many of you chamber rounds with case lube left on?