PDA

View Full Version : Are Wolf primers any good?

Castinoff
01-06-2008, 12:40 AM
I'd like to get the opinion of those that have used these primers. Are they any good?
I'm gonna be ordering primers soon and I know nothing about them. Thanks in advance.

Lloyd Smale
01-06-2008, 04:55 AM
i just ordered a case each of lg pistol std lg pistol mag and small pist. stad. then should be here any day so i should be able to try them soon. Im hoping they will work with action jobs in the smiths like the feds which are getting hard to find. But even if they dont for the price its hard to go wrong if they go bang! If they work out my plan is to buy about 5 cases of each before the price of loading supplys goes to much higher.

lastmanout
01-06-2008, 08:01 AM
I am always leary of ANYTHING from our lovely friends, the Russians, however David Tubb speaks highly of Russian primers for use in his 6mm XC cartridge. I can say the Russian 22 rimfire ammo they used in the Olympic games was maybe the finest in the world. They do have a talent for makng crude things work well :roll: Good luck.

Boz330
01-06-2008, 12:32 PM
I'd like to get the opinion of those that have used these primers. Are they any good?
I'm gonna be ordering primers soon and I know nothing about them. Thanks in advance.

They are cheap and I haven't heard anything bad about them. There was a thread sometime back and several guys said that they liked them. I bought 10K myself but haven't tried them yet.

Bob

Ricochet
01-06-2008, 03:22 PM
I just bought 1000 each of the large and small pistol ones to try out.

Jon K
01-06-2008, 03:41 PM
I know some guys using it in BR to Hunting use, all say chronographs and groups well, compared to BR primers they normally use. All those I talked to are using it in bolt action guns.

I just bought 5K, I have loaded 200 for my "New to me" 1894 CL 32-20, and another 100 for my BF 32-20. I have been down with the flu since Christmas eve, but hop to get out to test these next week, if it will stop raining.

Jon

Morgan Astorbilt
01-06-2008, 07:01 PM
I bought 10,000 LP, and haven't shot any yet, but am very disappointed with their loading, using a Dillon SDB. Out of 100 .45LC, I had 21 high primers which I had to seat by hand. This is worse than the CCI's which give an occasional high primer, and I no longer use in the Dillon. These must be much harder, and I'm wondering how they'll work in my guns that have been "tuned" with light mainsprings. Can't imagine how hard Wolf rifle primers are. :roll: I'm sure glad Federals are back!:-D
Morgan

Ken O
01-06-2008, 09:45 PM
I have shot quite a few of the large rifle primers in my Palma and long range (1000 yard) rifles. They seem to be the same as the Russians, which are very popular in long range competition. I get low ES and SD readings with them and then they are reasonably priced, so I can recomend them.

They are just a little larger, so it takes quite a bit of force to seat them correctly. I gave up using the Lee hand primer for them, much too hard, I used the rock chucker on the up stroke. But I run the .308 Palma loads hot, close to 3000 fps to stay supersonic at 1000, so after a couple fireings they fit real nice.

For pistol I always liked the Winchesters and have a nice stockpile, but would like to hear what others think of the Wolf LP primers, I might give them a try next time.

For the revolver I like Federals, but they have been getting rare, the WLP have worked well there also.

For the competition ARs I use the Rem 7 ½ primers, so if anyone has tried the Wolfs....
This is all just my humble opinion.

Jon K
01-16-2008, 04:23 PM
Update

OK, So I got a chance to do some side by side test.
I bought a case of Wolf Small Rifle Primers on the advice of others using Wolf primers in .22 K Hornet, .22 BR, 6 BR, 6 TCU, 6.5 Improved, 308, .338. They all but one said they were good as other brands Federal, Win & CCI. The one guy did not give resons he didn't like Wolf.
I was concerned that the Wolf may not consistanly fire in a levergun. I normally use Federal or Winchester Primers for that reason. So I tested in my new to me 1894 CL Ducks Unlimited 32-20(UNFIRED) I group tested and tested on the chronograph side by side with Federal 205 and Wichester WSR primers, using Lyman 311008 & 311316. The group tests showed equal groups @ 50 & 100 yds. On the chronograph, is where I did see a difference, I got almost similar results with all three primers. The Wolf was on average 15-30 fps slower, but more consistant in sd & es. I ran several 5 shot groups back to back with the same primer because it seems the gun settled down and produced better results that way.
I ran the tests over 2 days. 1 day group testing and 1 day chronographing.
I put 200 rounds thru the gun 100 each day, and I did not have 1 primer that did not ignite from the levergun.

Jon

Blammer
01-16-2008, 04:56 PM
sweet!