PDA

View Full Version : Molds for guns I don't have

Forester
01-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Ok, I think I officially have a sickness. I have been wanting a big bore revolver for awhile but have not found what I am looking for and I went looking at a gunshow today. I didnt find a gun but I found 2 molds for the yet unpurchased gun and came home with them. A Lyman 429421 and a 429244.

Anyone have a good shooting .44mag. (especially a S&W or Ruger) with a 4" barrel they want to part with?

NSP64
01-05-2008, 08:59 PM
No, but I did see a new stainless 4" redhawk last week when I picked up my new SRH:drinks:Good luck the decission is tough

Swamprat1052
01-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Thats ok Forester, thats allowed. Whoever dies with the most toys wins. It's as simple as that.

Swamprat

mooman76
01-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Me either but I just bid today on a mould for a gun I don't own just because they don't make it any more and it has intreaged me. Don't know if I will ever get a gun that will shoot it. I probubly won't get it anyway because I won't go very high considering.
And to ad to that I was at the gunshoew today and they don't seem to have many moulds now adays just one or two here and there. And I need another .38 cal mould like I need a hole in my head but this one struck me odd and the price was right so I got it. It is a Lyman 2x 125g mould with a pointed tip and it was only $25 and looks never used. If it was then the owner took good care and cleaned every spec of lean off it but I think it was new.
He also had a Lee for $20, big deal, I can buy it new and he had a couple Lymans 4x for $70, more than I was looking to spend because I was looking for that bargain gun. I couldn't see the cavities anyway because he left the lead bullets in.

floodgate
01-05-2008, 09:39 PM
mooman76:

So.... Don't keep us in suspense: WHAT mould; What caliber???

floodgate

mooman76
01-05-2008, 10:20 PM
I'm sorry I thought I put it in! 38 cal. Lyman 358093AV. PT,GC bullet 125g

NVcurmudgeon
01-06-2008, 12:33 AM
Ok, I think I officially have a sickness. I have been wanting a big bore revolver for awhile but have not found what I am looking for and I went looking at a gunshow today. I didnt find a gun but I found 2 molds for the yet unpurchased gun and came home with them. A Lyman 429421 and a 429244.

Anyone have a good shooting .44mag. (especially a S&W or Ruger) with a 4" barrel they want to part with?

Forester, there's nothing wrong with you. I started with a used RCBS mould, then added a set of dies, another mould, a .44 Magnum Marlin 1894 Cowboy, a S&W 629, and a conversion kit in .44 Magnum for my Dillon Square Deal. Naturally I told SWMBO that I needed the guns to utilize all the loading equipment I was stuck with. Just about three months ago I noticed that I had accumulated a set of dies in .22 Hornet and a 2-7 Redfield scope. Again, to keep the surplus equipment from deteriorating, I let my wife know of my economical ways by buying a CZ 527 in .22 Hornet. Fran agreed that I was making good use of available resources. (She's very cute when she smirks.) Now I've noticed that my .38 Special loading equipment and mould are being under-utilized as I have only two revolvers in that caliber. Saving now for another S&W and another mould. The boss will be delighted with my prudent stewardship of shop equipment. Keep going as you are, that big bore revolver is just around the corner.

Buckshot
01-06-2008, 02:52 AM
.....................Curmudgeon is exactly right. There is nothing in the world worse then accumilating stuff for things you don't yet own. They just lay there unproductive, underappreciated and gathering dust. It is (and I stress) it IS your DUTY to put these heretofore useless tools to work by aquiring whatever it is you need to accomplish it.

What's REALLY bad in these cases is like your situation. You have those 429421 and 429244 moulds. What I've seen happen is that a screamer of a deal comes your way chambered in 45 Colt. What can you do? You have to buy it while you continue your search for something worthy of your moulds. Right?

.................Buckshot

Lloyd Smale
01-06-2008, 05:06 AM
what ever you do dont part with them. Id like to know how many times ive sold molds that i thought i had no use for just to buy a gun 6 months later and turn around and buy the same mold again for more then i sold mine for.

Bret4207
01-06-2008, 09:05 AM
I rationalize like this- I'm not spending the dollars on cheap broads and booze. Weak rationalization, true, but it works for me!

James C. Snodgrass
01-06-2008, 09:20 AM
Wait a minute, You mean to tell me its a rational thing to buy stuff you don't need yet. I got to print this out so my wife can see I'm not the only guy who has this affliction. I wonder if that intake manifold for a 57 corvette out in the shed will give me the excuse for some more purchases. Good luck Fellas, James[smilie=1:

bullshot
01-06-2008, 09:50 AM
And I thought it was just me that did things like that. Just bought a set of 38-55 dies. The hunt is on.

hunter64
01-06-2008, 10:28 AM
I remember a few years back reading an article on "How to buy more guns with out the significant other complaining". I wish I had kept it because it actually gave you great idea's on how to convince the little woman you need more guns, how to smuggle them in and out of the house right under her nose.

Yes I have stuff that I have no guns for, mostly bought dies in a garage sale, you know 3 you need and 4 you don't but the total package price is less than the 3 you need. I go to the range and the first thing I do is pick up brass and empty boxes, I have loads of 9mm and I don't have a pistol in 9mm. I figure that brass is getting expensive and if one guy is throwing it away I will be smart enough to keep it.

Forester
01-06-2008, 11:13 AM
I remember a few years back reading an article on "How to buy more guns with out the significant other complaining". I wish I had kept it because it actually gave you great idea's on how to convince the little woman you need more guns, how to smuggle them in and out of the house right under her nose.

I actually heard a guy turn down a good price on a gun he obviously wanted at a gunshow once because the gun was Walnut stock and blued barrel. He said he only buys black synthetic and stainless and his wife cant tell the difference when they come and go from the house.

I am glad to hear that I now owe it to these fine tools I have purchased to put them to work. As it happens a buddy of mine called to say that a 4" stainless Redhawk has been sitting in a local shop for months. Used but in great shape according to him. The owner is asking $525 and I suspect I could get it for $475 or 500...that sound fairly reasonable?

mooman76
01-06-2008, 12:11 PM
The trick is to finnaly get to the point where you have so many guns the wife don't notice a new one and if she does you just say "I've had that one for a long time, don't you remember"?

bullshot
01-06-2008, 01:46 PM
My wife goes to the gun shops with me. Here is why. I was looking at two rifles and could't make up my mind. The wife says just buy both of them. This is not the only time that has happened. I don't play that card too often. Ahh when you pick em right its great.[smilie=1:

dragonfire
01-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Ok lets see if i got this right ,by the gun accessory's first ,then the gun ,alot of you guy's must be married, i can hear ya tell ya wife(but honey i have all this stuff for the gun ,it would be such a waste not to have the gun to ,baby ,sweety?) come on fella's am i close ?:razz:

MT Gianni
01-06-2008, 04:20 PM
I am happy to see that bullet casters and gun nuts are singlehandedly keeping the American economy going. Please spread the good news to the uninitiated. Gianni

Kraschenbirn
01-06-2008, 06:46 PM
Does it count if, 20 years ago , you bought a 50 cal. ammo box full of 8x57 stuff (brass, loaded ammo, dies, etc) at an estate auction and are, finally, getting around to rebuilding a a bubba'd VZ-24 that you found on a yard sale sometime in the mid-1990s?

Bill

jtaylor1960
01-06-2008, 07:44 PM
After talking to some of the guys her on the forum I was reassured that buying molds for guns you don't have is not an illness.You are now a mold collector.Besides if you can't make bullets when you get that gun it doesn't do you any good to have the gun.It's the old chicken and the egg debate.

Forester
01-06-2008, 07:59 PM
After talking to some of the guys her on the forum I was reassured that buying molds for guns you don't have is not an illness.You are now a mold collector.Besides if you can't make bullets when you get that gun it doesn't do you any good to have the gun.It's the old chicken and the egg debate.

True enough. The problem is now I am looking seriously at a gun to match the mold...only 2 days after the mold came home...:Fire:

400cor-bon
01-06-2008, 09:56 PM
Did you ever HAVE to go shooting
because you ran out of brass to reload?:???:

mooman76
01-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Did you ever HAVE to go shooting
because you ran out of brass to reload?:???:

No, but I have had to go buy a gun because I had brass that didn't have a home!:Fire:

davwingman
01-07-2008, 08:49 PM
I think a fella should buy most anything that he thinks he might have a use for someday, if it is to be had at a bargain price. If you don't use it you will always have good trading material for the next gotta have.

calsite
01-08-2008, 03:17 AM
No, but I'd be happy to keep your lyman #429244 warm for you.

Crash_Corrigan
01-08-2008, 05:33 AM
For some reason whenever I go to the range I end up with a lot more empties then the amount of loaded ammo I came with to shoot!

I started saving brass many years ago. When I finally got around to getting a .45 ACP I had over 5,000 empty cases.

I presently have over 10K 9MM cases and I finally got around to getting a Browning Hi Power two months ago.

I have a collection of .32 ACP and 380 ACP's and very large collection of .40 S & .
I used to just bypass the 40's and go for the .45's but since the local police are always blasting away with city ammo at our range they cannot be bothered to adhere to the PICK UP YOUR BRASS rule that we have, the ground is absolutely covered with 40 brass at times.

There is so much that I cannot be picking up only the .45's. I pick it all up now. The only rounds I leave are the steel cased 223's and the blazer .45 in aluminum. These I just put in another can and then dump into the provided cans.

I now have 15 gals plus of 40 S &W and no desire at all for a 40. I have 9 MM. 38. 357, .45ACP and .45 LC. I have no use for a forty at all.

I guess I should go to the recycler and sell the 40's and others that I really have not use for and buy some lead. I grieves me to think about having to buy lead but it is getting very tight recently.

Besides I need the room for other stuff like powder and primers. Brass is kinda bulky. Lead does not take up much floor space.

However I do not pick up shotgun hulls nor 22's. I have some self control.............right?

Molds on the other hand are different. I get the gun first and then the molds. I kinda lean towards the Lyman, RCBS and Saeco brands cuz they make such nice boolits. I used to just use Lee molds but after I got a 454 200 SWC RCBS mold on sleaze bay I just love 'em. I got spoiled. The only Lee's I use are 6 bangers for blasting ammo when all I care about is production not quality.

When you are shooting at reactive targets at less then 25 yds you do not need a perfect boolit. You need consistent powder charges, crimping, brass, primers and a reasonably good boolit. Lee make 'em fast enuf for me.