PDA

View Full Version : Hey Old Army shooters, ever try these?

fatelvis
01-05-2008, 08:42 PM
http://www.biglube.com/BulletMolds.aspx?ProductID=20

I just bought this mould, and am anxious to try them in my two Ruger Old Armys. The idea of using WWs instead of soft lead, and the bullet having a lube groove looks like it would improve the accuracy, and keep the barrel from fouling. If you guys have never shot these revolvers before, they are very accurate right out of the box using roundball. I can't wait to see if I can improve on that! I like the idea of mixing a more modern cast bullet with the older, cap-n-ball blackpowder gun. I'll be using Speedgreen lube and Cleanshot powder for testing.

garandsrus
01-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Fatelvis,

I don't think that Speedgreen can be used for black powder loads... You might want to ask Bullshop.

I have a ROA and would like to purchase some boolits from you to try if you are willing to make a few extra.

John

Saint
01-06-2008, 06:53 AM
I have an 1851 Navy and have tried conical bullets with very poor results. It seems from what I have read that no matter how hard you try you can't get them to go in straight. My groups at 70 yards were missing the paper completely and most of the ones that hit were keyholed. I ran about 50 conicals through it. Dunno about the speedgreen but I can tell you that I always use petroleum based lube for the internals on all of my BP guns even though they say don't combine BP and petro lubes, but I have never had a problem.

fatelvis
01-06-2008, 12:12 PM
I've used the Lee version of this, and they're very accurate. I think the secret lies in the design of the bullet's base, it looks as if it would accept a gas check, but the slight step-down at the heel is to allow the bullet to slide into the cylinder, and align itself before being swaged into it. I figured the Speedgreen would work, because Cleanshot powder is a blackpowder substitute, and seems to be closer to smokeless. Thanks for the warning- I'll have to ask Bullshop. Garandsrus, as soon as I get the mould, I'll cast some and PM you, so you can try some.

9.3X62AL
01-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Same story with conicals in my C&B revos--roundballs were a LOT more accurate, and easier to manage overall. Somewhere around here I have a Lee conical boolit mould for the 44 caliber faux Colts, and it produced very usable boolit for the 45 ACP. Accurate, too.

fatelvis
01-06-2008, 12:26 PM
It may be a "Ruger thing", because of thier quick rifling twist, but one of my guns is more accurate w/the Lee bullet, and the other is equal w/RB and the bullet. I bought the Lee mould as a novelty, and didnt really expect much accuracy out of them, (liked the fact they were heavier for possibly hunting with them), and was pleasantly surprised when I shot them!

Boz330
01-06-2008, 12:40 PM
I tried the Lee Ruger boolit in a Uberti Walker and it shot very good out to 50yd. The Uberti has a much faster twist than the other Walkers. It shot good with the RB as well. I think that the twist is the biggest factor in the C&B guns.

Bob

Saint
01-06-2008, 07:06 PM
Just a side not I should have mentioned. The conicals I was shooting were given to me so I don't know if they were sized properly, also they were concave based and looked similar to a minnie ball but sized for a pistol. If anybody could make a suggestion on a mould I think that this might be worth trying again based on the replies I have read. I shoot a .44 1851 Navy by Pietta.

NickSS
01-06-2008, 07:46 PM
I have used both conicals and RB in my old army for both target and hunting loads. For small game either works well out to 25 yards or so. At longer ranges both bullets become fairly hard to hit with on small critters. Longest shot I ever made with my old army on game was a hubndred paces on a rabbit that was sitting still under a bush. That shot was made by a RB. All in all I don't use the conicals very much as they are harder to make and lube. In fact I almost never bother to lube the grooves but just put bore butter on top just like I do with round balls.

mainiac
01-06-2008, 08:11 PM
A shooting chum of mine has a ruger old army, and it must be the MOST accurate handgun ive ever seen. He used to take it to the local turkey shoots,and win pretty much every match! Would shoot X,s @ 25yards so easy.He used to beat up on the tricked-out high standards, and even the much vaunted smith mod. 41 was no match. When these guys with there 700-1000 .22,s proceeded to get there ears boxed, with a round ball and real black, why, you should have seen there faces! All he ever used was hornaday balls, and goex fff, and bore-butter.

fatelvis
01-10-2008, 09:14 PM
I don't think that Speedgreen can be used for black powder loads... You might want to ask Bullshop.

I have a ROA and would like to purchase some boolits from you to try if you are willing to make a few extra
Garand, Speedgreen (or any other smokeless lube) can be used, with 777, Blackmag3, Pinnacle, Pioneer Powder, and Jim Shockey's, but not with BP (and I think) Pyrodex.
I have no problems casting some extra boolits, and sending 'em off to ya! I'll let you know when I'm done casting some. Did you want to size/lube them, or want me to? You should be happy you have an Old Army. They are no longer making them. What a shame!

garandsrus
01-10-2008, 10:33 PM
Fatelvis,

Thanks! I didn't realize they stopped making the ROA. It is a very nice pistol. I bought it off Gunbroker a couple years back and got a great deal. Mine is pretty accurate also. I haven't shot it in a while and am getting the itch again.

My brother in law has a conversion cylinder for 45 Colt and the pistol is very accurate with the boolits I cast for it, but they shoot to a different point of aim.

I can size and lube the boolits. Thanks for the offer!

If you need any round balls for the ROA, let me know. I also have molds in several other molds that I would be willing to send you some boolits from. Send me a PM if you need anything... I will send you a PM with my address.

Thanks again,
John