PDA

View Full Version : Making plans to get back in business

theperfessor
04-27-2014, 12:17 AM
My physical condition is still improving. I can now use crutches to get out to the shop, where I have a nice tractor-seat stool to sit on and a wooden box to prop my foot up on. I can't stand for long (I have to stand on one leg) and I can't lift, carry, or run anything. But I can instruct other people on what to do.

My #1 nephew has expressed a lot of interest in working in a shop. His father, my BIL, was a machinist and millwright all his working life, and #1 remembers going in to the shops with his dad on weekends to use the equipment. He served a hitch in the navy, getting several technical certifications, and after getting out and working off and on for a fab shop and then doing printer maintenance service he became a full time stay at home dad. His wife, an intelligent and gracious woman, has a well paying job that is commensurate with her intellectual capabilities, degree, and experience, so they didn't need extra income. Now his oldest son is going to college next fall and his youngest will be a sophomore in high school. (I enormously respect him for raising his two sons properly - he has coached various teams they have been on, volunteered for school related duties, and so on. His kids are GOOD kids.)

#1 came over Friday for about four hours and helped me clean up the shop, clean out the cut off saw and change out the (nasty and rancid) cutting fluid, and do the same to the CNC lathe. (I apologized to him about having to clean out the cutting fluid tanks, and he looked at me and said that he'd been cleaning up a bathroom after two male children for the last 18 years and this was nothing! Love the realistic attitude!)

A mutual friend wanted me to make some very simple parts - it's a job I've done before and I have all the CNC codes, tools, etc. so it's just a matter of setting up the lathe tools and running the parts. First we cut off the 12' the aluminum bar stock into 4' pieces. Then I showed him how to touch off the tools and operate the control panel to do basic operations. We got the first piece done before we quit. (I was exhausted and he had to pick up his youngest from Driver's Ed class.)

#1 was tickled pink to run his first part. He wants to work with me. I want to work with him and train him. He doesn't want to work full time, and I can deal with that. (I don't want to work full time after I retire in another year either.) I want to bring him along carefully over the next month or so, and barring a health setback I plan to start offering some of my casting related items beginning about June 1. At first it will be CNC lathe produced items that don't require personal attention, such as the blank Lyman/RCBS sizing dies I offered last Fall, and the blank Saeco type dies I have the codes and tooling for. The last thing to resume production will be custom cut stuff such as nose punches and push through sizers.

Until I can make the stuff myself my order delivery time will increase. #1 only wants to work 2-3 days a week, so he might work Mondays and Thursdays for example, and run up whatever has been ordered in the previous three or four days. I could ship on Tuesdays and Fridays. We will work this out.

#1 is a great guy to be around and we had a ball Friday. Getting out of the house, into the shop and being around another guy was extremely good for my psychology and attitude. He is going to come back next week and once we get the lathe running properly he is going to help me set up my casting equipment. I have five new molds I've accumulated and never used yet, so I can sit in the shop and cast while #1 runs the lathe. I will be there to help and give advice but I won't be hovering around.

I'm looking forward now with more optimism than I've had in a long time.

Grendl
04-27-2014, 12:29 AM
This is outstanding news, glad to hear you are up and around and on the mend, with an interested student to share the passion.
Life is good. Good luck.
rick

walltube
04-27-2014, 12:30 AM
G-D bless. Excellent post there prof. Been waiting for some good news like this.

To the last WW,
Wt.

2wheelDuke
04-27-2014, 12:33 AM
Congrats. I wish I was close enough to intern under you. I'd work for free for a while just for the experience. Problem is my real job is keeping me pretty busy lately. I traded an old cheap dirt bike for a cheap 3 in 1 machine, and I haven't even gotten around to taking stock of what it came with and cleaning it up, let alone starting to learn to use it.

freebullet
04-27-2014, 12:36 AM
Congrats!!! Glad to hear your on the mend and getting back to what you want to do. Don't get carried away, remember to work at your own pace. It sounds like having #1 around is going to help you in more ways than one.

xs11jack
04-27-2014, 12:45 AM
Boy, God surely has blessed you, your foot is healing and a person to help get the shop up and running. This is taylor-made just for you. You are going to be just fine.
Ole Jack

Mk42gunner
04-27-2014, 01:06 AM
Glad to hear you are getting better, and have someone to mentor.

Please try not to push yourself too hard at first.

Robert

waksupi
04-27-2014, 01:32 AM
Glad to hear you're up and getting greasy. I'd come and work for you, and you would be healthy enough in a week to throw me out! I'm a combination of Roy Underhill and Red Green in a shop!

Col4570
04-27-2014, 02:09 AM
Good luck to you,you have a family member who has an aptitude for your type of work.My eldest grandson aged 30 has this same confidence and surprises me how quick he has picked up the intricacies of Gunwork.Almost two years ago he suddenly took an interest in clay shooting so I took him a couple of times,now he beats the old granddad every time.He has also taken to muzzleloading and got a silver in one of the MLAGB Competitions.So I can feel how proud you are.I hope you continue to mend and enjoy our vocation.

MaryB
04-27-2014, 02:43 AM
Always seems that god provides just when you need it the most. Your nephew is going to learn the right way instead of the book way and that is a huge difference!

Bzcraig
04-27-2014, 02:44 AM
Sounds like it is the perfect prescription for body, mind and spirit!

gandydancer
04-27-2014, 03:16 AM
glad to hear your back and things are looking up. GD

Frank46
04-27-2014, 04:16 AM
Good for you and I envy you also. Having someone who can work with you and learn at the same time is wonderful. My first lathe is one of the 6x19 atlas metal working lathes as sold by sears. Still remember buying it and stuffing it in the trunk of my '70 dodge dart. Still have that lathe but doesn't get much use since getting one of the Jet 13x40 gearhead lathes some years back. Most of what I know is from books and trial and lots of error. Our company had courses in lathe operation and for years tried to get my boss to send me to the schools. Wouldn't even hear of it. But over the course of almost 30 years in the company I've attended about 4 different schools in fire fighting.Even went to Boston and attended their fire school for a week. Now that was fun. Funny thing was out of 5 supervisors I was the only one to do the fire school courses. I remember once the local fire house came out to the job and one of the LT's said last time there was a fire no one was around. I said yeah they were probably headed for the front gate. Told him no worries as if something goes wrong on my watch I'll be here. Frank

w5pv
04-27-2014, 05:45 AM
Hope you get to 10% soon,

Mary B, there use to be a saying right way,wrong way,Army way.

missionary5155
04-27-2014, 06:35 AM
Good morning
May God bless your health and give you the heart of #1 to help mold yet some more.
Growing up a kind gentleman gave me 18 months of his time (with minimal pay) teaching me about life. Driving a dump truck, pulling levers on his small cat, scooping and digging with a Ford backhoe gave an interesting background while helping me understand what life is about.
Do let that foot heal up right. Still has the rest of your lifetime to carry you along.
Mike in Peru

Sig
04-27-2014, 06:53 AM
Glad to hear you're on the mend.

shooter2
04-27-2014, 07:22 AM
Great news. Work gives meaning to life.

kbstenberg
04-27-2014, 08:14 AM
I'm very glad to see you back. And happy to see you have help in the shop.
Prepare to be fludded with orders. Kevin

winelover
04-27-2014, 08:20 AM
Glad to hear your on the mend. I've been very happy your products----now if I could only get one of your RCBS/Lyman straight thru sizer set-ups----hint, hint.:mrgreen:

Winelover

ph4570
04-27-2014, 09:44 AM
That is wonderful. Great you are getting better and have a helper.

gray wolf
04-27-2014, 10:23 AM
Well this is good news, very good news, I think of you and pray for you often.
It sounds like you are on the mend, and that sounds good.

Sam

Lance Boyle
04-27-2014, 10:24 AM
I like the sound of this! Less work for you while you heal but not letting you get bored/nutty. We don't need another nutty professor! [grin]

Above all, get well!

Lance Boyle
04-27-2014, 10:25 AM
I like the sound of this! Less work for you while you heal but not letting you get bored/nutty. We don't need another nutty professor! [grin]

Above all, get well!

Doc Highwall
04-27-2014, 10:26 AM
Glad to hear that you are doing better. "Work smart not hard" is my motto.

Sweetpea
04-27-2014, 10:45 AM
Glad to hear you're feeling better, Keith!

When you have a teacher that knows how to teach, and a student that wants to learn, great things can happen!

theperfessor
04-27-2014, 11:45 AM
I might point out that #1 is a 50ish guy, he's no wet nose kid. He has a lot of common sense and a good general technical background, he just needs to learn the finer points of the machinist's trade.

He knows that if things work out between us we could do as much business and work about as many hours as either of us want. I have a lot of contacts and a pretty good rep locally for doing small lot production of subcontract work. I've held off taking on too much in the past because I didn't have a CNC mill and I was working a professor's gig full time, but both those things will change in another year.

I have also decided that after I retire I want to teach part time, but I will only teach industry training classes and not regular university credit type courses. I like teaching, I just want to teach people who appreciate what I have to offer and are motivated to learn.

Maybe all this is TMI, but I've had nothing else to do for the last six months besides lay around and think, and that's dangerous...

Goatwhiskers
04-27-2014, 11:56 AM
God works in mysterious and wonderful ways, or as some say when one door closes, another opens. Glad to hear of the progress and to know that you have the fortitude to keep pushing. My better half can't seem to understand that you have to keep trying, do what you can, and let the rest go. Keep us posted. GW

AlaskanGuy
04-27-2014, 12:51 PM
Wooo hooo sir... That is so awesome... Been praying for ya to get going again... Prayer works....

I am very excited for ya...

AG

Firebricker
04-27-2014, 01:09 PM
Glad to hear your condition is improving ! I have a had a couple major injuries and understand the frustration that can come with the recoveries. I had a hard time with being ready to get back at it but the body and doc said no way. So it is great to hear your making a come back and in good spirits. FB

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-27-2014, 01:26 PM
Well, more good news !
Looking forward to you producing some fine tools and tooling again.

It sounds like #1 is as lucky as you are...to have each other.

snip...
Maybe all this is TMI, but I've had nothing else to do for the last six months besides lay around and think, and that's dangerous...
Not too much TMI...We are family here, we love this news !

Artful
04-27-2014, 01:49 PM
Sounds like my prayers for the best possible outcome have come true! Congratulations to you both.

Idaho Mule
04-27-2014, 03:02 PM
Good news. Glad to have you back, just take care of yourself and don't "over do". I agree with your teaching. It is very rewarding to teach, guide someone who wants to learn what you have to teach. Still got elk steak too, if you need some. JW

theperfessor
04-27-2014, 03:12 PM
Well, I still have a couple of severe wounds to my left foot that are slowly healing, and I'm mobile but that's about it. And amputation is still not entirely out of the picture should I have a setback. But my doctor agrees that a happy patient heals better than a depressed patient, so sitting in the shop with my foot propped up while mentoring #1 makes me a lot happier than sitting on the couch with my foot propped up watching Matlock reruns. My foot doesn't know the difference. I just have to fight the temptation to do anything physical. And I can cast again as I have always done that sitting down.

Once #1 is up to speed it should make it easier when I have another health crisis, he can work w/o supervision for a while. I know I will be down for a couple of weeks later when I get a skin graft over one wound, and if I do need an amputation I'd be down for three months.

Over the years I've had various friends want to start a business with me as a partner or co-owner and I've turned them down; always thought that was a good way to screw up a good friendship. But I have worked for many of my friends on a job by job or short term basis. #1 understands that it is my business and my equipment, he doesn't want to be a partner, co-owner, or investor. I can afford to compensate him fairly and still make enough to cover my equipment and shop costs while retaining overall control of my shop.

bangerjim
04-27-2014, 03:20 PM
I have followed your problems over the past several months and am sure glad to hear you are doing better. An active mind trapped in a body that just can't quite do what you want is hard, but sounds like with help of others, you can get at it again!

Keep "on the mend"! Someday you will be there!

Take care and God Bless!

bangerjim

454PB
04-27-2014, 03:29 PM
Great news to hear of your continued healing, and mental attitude is every bit as important as physical healing.

MtGun44
04-27-2014, 03:42 PM
Good to hear you are improving! Sounds like the perfect win for you and for your nephew. That is
wonderful news. Having something to look forward to has apparently already been good for you, and
will probably work wonders in the future.

Bill

smokeywolf
04-27-2014, 03:59 PM
Absolutely don't undo the healing that you've accomplished thus far.

Wish I lived within shoutin' distance of Evansville. 98% of my machining background is with conventional machines, the remainder with conversational input NC (Bridgeport EZ TRAK). Not interested in going into business, but would happily pay or trade labor to get some informal instruction in writing G and M code.

Sure glad things are improving for you.

smokeywolf

**oneshot**
04-27-2014, 04:11 PM
Glad to hear your getting back on your feet(foot at least). Very happy to hear your #1 has shown an interest in your work. The hours the two of you will spend in the shop will heal more than your foot.
Take care and don't overdo it.

Wayne Smith
04-27-2014, 06:28 PM
Very glad you are healing as you are, Keith. Don't do anything to prevent that, and please change your lifestyle so it doesn't happen again if you haven't already. I assume you are on a med that rebuilds blood vessels, if not talk to your MD about this.

If your nephew likes making things as much as you do he will be surprised at how many hours he puts in without noticing it.

GaryN
04-27-2014, 07:00 PM
Well it looks unanimous Keith. We have all been following your progress and hoping and praying for you. Great news!!! I have noticed one thing over the years. Those who retire without a good hobby end up in a chair for a few years and then die. Those with a good hobby stay busy and live a happy and useful life. Casting and machine work is great for a hobby or a part time job. It is always better to do what we like on our own schedules rather than on a deadline. I'm happy for you.

mold maker
04-27-2014, 07:12 PM
All our praying seem to be successful.
So glad to hear of your continued improvement. Like others have said, don't push it too fast or hard.
I'm sure the mental improvement will help with the physical.
Give that #1 a pat on the back for a job well done. (its never finished) Guiding two boys through the teen years is a thankless job, that many men can't successfully accomplish.
Helping/learning will be great mind relaxation from his home duties, and a real moral booster for you.

Catshooter
04-27-2014, 09:11 PM
That is excellent news Keith. #1 should count his lucky stars, I would be.

I'd like a spare RCBS Lubrisizer H&I nut. Which I imagine could be done on a CNC lathe. When you're ready, of course.

Cat

Bill*
04-27-2014, 09:20 PM
wonderful to hear you're getting better, I think of you when I see the hammer on the toolrack (still unused, seriously. just can't bring myself to use it, it's too nice and I still have a "beater" to use)

Just Duke
05-02-2014, 10:16 PM
My physical condition is still improving. I can now use crutches to get out to the shop, where I have a nice tractor-seat stool to sit on and a wooden box to prop my foot up on. I can't stand for long (I have to stand on one leg) and I can't lift, carry, or run anything. But I can instruct other people on what to do.

My #1 nephew has expressed a lot of interest in working in a shop. His father, my BIL, was a machinist and millwright all his working life, and #1 remembers going in to the shops with his dad on weekends to use the equipment. He served a hitch in the navy, getting several technical certifications, and after getting out and working off and on for a fab shop and then doing printer maintenance service he became a full time stay at home dad. His wife, an intelligent and gracious woman, has a well paying job that is commensurate with her intellectual capabilities, degree, and experience, so they didn't need extra income. Now his oldest son is going to college next fall and his youngest will be a sophomore in high school. (I enormously respect him for raising his two sons properly - he has coached various teams they have been on, volunteered for school related duties, and so on. His kids are GOOD kids.)

#1 came over Friday for about four hours and helped me clean up the shop, clean out the cut off saw and change out the (nasty and rancid) cutting fluid, and do the same to the CNC lathe. (I apologized to him about having to clean out the cutting fluid tanks, and he looked at me and said that he'd been cleaning up a bathroom after two male children for the last 18 years and this was nothing! Love the realistic attitude!)

A mutual friend wanted me to make some very simple parts - it's a job I've done before and I have all the CNC codes, tools, etc. so it's just a matter of setting up the lathe tools and running the parts. First we cut off the 12' the aluminum bar stock into 4' pieces. Then I showed him how to touch off the tools and operate the control panel to do basic operations. We got the first piece done before we quit. (I was exhausted and he had to pick up his youngest from Driver's Ed class.)

#1 was tickled pink to run his first part. He wants to work with me. I want to work with him and train him. He doesn't want to work full time, and I can deal with that. (I don't want to work full time after I retire in another year either.) I want to bring him along carefully over the next month or so, and barring a health setback I plan to start offering some of my casting related items beginning about June 1. At first it will be CNC lathe produced items that don't require personal attention, such as the blank Lyman/RCBS sizing dies I offered last Fall, and the blank Saeco type dies I have the codes and tooling for. The last thing to resume production will be custom cut stuff such as nose punches and push through sizers.

Until I can make the stuff myself my order delivery time will increase. #1 only wants to work 2-3 days a week, so he might work Mondays and Thursdays for example, and run up whatever has been ordered in the previous three or four days. I could ship on Tuesdays and Fridays. We will work this out.

#1 is a great guy to be around and we had a ball Friday. Getting out of the house, into the shop and being around another guy was extremely good for my psychology and attitude. He is going to come back next week and once we get the lathe running properly he is going to help me set up my casting equipment. I have five new molds I've accumulated and never used yet, so I can sit in the shop and cast while #1 runs the lathe. I will be there to help and give advice but I won't be hovering around.

I'm looking forward now with more optimism than I've had in a long time.

I think you still have my number. Give me a jingle if you get bored.

Hardcast416taylor
05-03-2014, 09:15 AM
Don Rickles was on the Late Show with Letterman last night. He just went thru a bad time with a flesh eating bacteria on his leg. He said if they hadn`t stopped it in time they would have taken the lower leg to the knee and then he would have been a 1st mate to Johnny Depp in his next pirate movie! Glad there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and that light isn`t a train!Robert

Echo
05-03-2014, 11:42 AM
Great post, Perf. I'm really glad to see you up & at'em.