PDA

View Full Version : Leveraction Winchester 458 Short

bigted
04-26-2014, 11:41 PM
was playin with my 92 Winchester the other day and discovered that with a flair on the mouth of the 45 colt case ... the neck size is a lose .457 or tight .458 inch. have heard of this in the past but was somehow convinced that MINE was not possibly that lose in the chamber ... WRONG !!!

so having a 457122 hp Lyman mold that I simply detest using as the pin that I clipped off for deleting the stupid hollow point but still gotta mess with the pin anyway ...[gonna silver solder that stupid pin solid in 1 half one day].

took the aggravating thing out and cast a few of the now 349/350 grain solid boolits. with 20 or so in hand I sized em in a lose .459 inch die and lubed the grooves with SPG. after flairing the mouth on 15 cases that were fire formed to my chamber ... I loaded them over 20 grains IMR 4227 powder for a full 100% load under the seated boolit. I seated the boolit so that they are 1.600 inch OAL so they would work thru the action. crimping them tight to the boolit nose I ... in trepidation ... took em out for some snap shooting to see how they would act.

perfect is all I can say. they are fair on the recoil dept. with just enough umgh to know you shot something but no obnoxious. after getting the trajectory down I could hit whatever I wanted to and the smack upon hitting rocks and such is impressive. im bettin they fly at near 1400 FPS in my 24 inch barrel which should be just dandy if they come in with the accuracy dept.

next im going to try to get some loaded up and bench them to see how they fair with as much of me outta the picture as I can.

if these things are accurate then I can see another Accurate Mold coming my way soon from Tom. wonder if I can send him a boolit to copy? be nice to not have the stupid pin to dink with and a 2 cavity mold to speed stuff up a bit. ... yea I know ... I am spoiled with all the double cavity molds from Tom and his great workmanship.

.458 ... who woulda guessed it. and the super thing is that the leading just about went away ... tho not completely ... maybe a harder alloy or maybe I need another lube for these ... something to mess with at any rate.

TXGunNut
04-27-2014, 12:37 AM
Sounds like you're getting performance similar to a Trapdoor 45-70, nothing wrong with that!

starmac
04-27-2014, 12:48 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?238986-Lee-430-310-RF-copy

Check out this thread, the 460 mold he is talking about building, just may be the ticket you need for it.

bigted
04-27-2014, 01:34 AM
I have a mold that is very much like that one starmac ... it came to me from Tom at Accurate Molds ... # 460345 ... it throws a 460 and I sized and lubed it in a .459 and it also finger seated in my flaired cases. that looks like a snazzy mold but already have one and mine is a brass one and throws such wonderful boolits ... as do all the molds I get from Tom.

TX ... yes I too think it be runnin pretty close and as such don't think I would mind hauling it into the Oregon coastal range. should make a dandy bear/deer rifle and im not sure it wouldn't do for elk as well. gotta chrony it so I can be sure of what I have runnin here. itz neat to stumble onto a gift that has been staring at me the whole time.

starmac
04-27-2014, 02:00 AM
All I hear about his molds is great, but I haven't bought any from him yet.

Did you go to either of the gun shows today?

bigted
04-27-2014, 02:03 PM
nope ... mostly doing family stuff as we are movin in a couple weeks so time is rare for stuff ... sad and exciting time for us but overall the move will be good for all.

you should squeeze out some dollars for one of his molds ... he will build it to your spec's unless he has one in his extensive stock and his work and PRICE is something to behold. I have no stake in his business ... however I would bet that when he gets recognized ... his prices will go up to match the other custom mold makers. id like to see as many as possible get in on the low priced and super workmanship of his molds. eventually I figure he will expand to have hired folks working on them and the chance of messed up molds will go up as a result.

bigted
05-25-2014, 02:51 PM
got moved with no special tough stuff at all.

now to get settled in and find a suitable spot to continue my spearments with the 45 colt and this spiffy Winchester rifle. am excited to be back in America again with some little parts missing the great life in the far north but ... think this is going to be a fine trade off in the long run.

now to find a spot for shooting. am getting my casting room setup and the loading room is next. ... fun stuff to be sure!

starmac
05-25-2014, 05:25 PM
Where did you wind up at??

bigted
05-26-2014, 01:25 AM
Sweet Home, Oregon. very nice Rockwell style place of around 9000 folks. very beautiful spot in the foothills of the cascade mountains ... round 90 miles to eastern side of the mountains and round 100 miles from the Oregon coast with its fishing and elk hunting.

most important is the smile on the face of my beautiful wife. all is good in the universe.