PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Drought Ended Finally

Boyscout
04-26-2014, 10:56 PM
I didn't make the shot but I did make the scratch box I used and another regular to the camp site made the Sassafras/Sycamore box call. It has been six years since I pulled the trigger on a bird although I had called a few in for others in that time.

Opening day was pretty exciting as I got to work a trio of longbeards twice over the course of about four hours. Each time I was cut off by psycho hens and finished the day with nothing to show for it other than a good story. The second day I couldn't buy a gobble.

On Friday morning I woke up to a light rain and high winds. To add insult to injury, my plans for the morning were cancelled due to a large tree toppled over the road going to the part of the State Forest I had planned to hunt so I had to settle on Plan B.

I prefer not to hunt from a blind but it was raining so I carried it in and set up in a place I hadn't hunted in more than 15 years. I used my scratch box when the wind was down and the box call when the wind was up. By 10:30 I had still not heard a thing and was getting a little discouraged but was confident I was in a travel route for gobblers cruising the ridge tops for unbred hens late in the moring. At about 10:45, I thought I heard a few widely spaced "locator" clucks which I have seen and heard gobblers use before. As I looked hard past my decoys for the source I caught movement at 11 o'clock and had to reach for my gun which I had leaned against the blind to keep the wind from lifting it off the ground. By the time I got in position to shoot, he was at 9 o'clock 10 yards out. At 10:54, my season was over. He weighed 23 lbs, 19 mm spurs (2 yr old), and a 9" beard. It felt good to end my six year drought. I don't know if I invented the phrase "Locator Cluck" but I have never heard it mentioned on any DVD's I have watched or read about it in any articles. I guess silent birds don't make for good video. And watching guys like me call, cat nap, call and shoot wouldn't sell as well as run-and-gun on private leases.

CastingFool
04-26-2014, 11:32 PM
Congrats on the nice bird. I have called a couple of toms in with a box call I made myself. Hope to call in no. 3 when my season opens on May 5.

Firebricker
04-27-2014, 01:35 PM
Nice bird! I am hoping to get after one this week. FB

youngda9
04-27-2014, 01:47 PM
Nice bird ! I'd like to try turkey hunting one day, looks exciting on television.

woodbutcher
04-27-2014, 09:07 PM
:bigsmyl2: Nice bird.Have you ever noticed how them critters are thicker than white on rice all year round?That is,until 12:01 am on opening day.:(That`s how they get that nice long beard.Hehehe.Around here,you just about have to stop your vehicle or run them over BEFORE OD.After.Lotsa luck.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

crowbuster
04-27-2014, 09:46 PM
Thats a dandy and a good story to boot. Havent made it out yet but I think our numbers are down due to the bad winter, just not seein as many while driving and ariund the place.

Boyscout
04-28-2014, 02:48 AM
We seemed to be down the past couple years because of really cold, wet springs which kills the poults. I just haven't experienced that many "made for video" moments over the years. Of the four long beards I have shot, this one had the shortest beard but was the heaviest. He was the second bird I have killed where all I ever heard was clucks. I've taken two jakes and those were both doubles with the other person I was hunting with.

It's great when they gobble and strut but most of mine shut up once they committed to coming in. I have actually called in more birds for my father and sons than I have shot myself.

FISH4BUGS
04-29-2014, 04:26 PM
Congratulations on the bird.
I admit we feed them cracked corn and have 40 total, maybe 8 males that come around twice a day or more often. It is really fun to watch them get all fluffed up and try to impress the girls. But just like in real life, the girls ignore the males.
Once turkey season opens up, we have hunters in the fields and tree lines all around us. Those birds are pretty smart, and they lay low until hunting season is over. I have only seen one taken here in our surrounding fields in three years. I could shoot them all day long with a 22 short out my windows.....but i wouldn't of course.
The girls are on the nests now here in NH. Season opens May 1. We won't see many for a while.

dragon813gt
04-29-2014, 05:35 PM
Nice bird! I'm still zero for my life :(
Season opens this Saturday and I can't wait. I've called them in over the years but they have a habit of popping up so close I can't grab the shotgun in time. Combine that w/ people stalking calls like they're not supposed to and I've cut my days short on a lot of occasions for safety reasons.

Boyscout
04-30-2014, 08:24 PM
I have won a couple of contest with stalkers by calling quietly. Also, try hunting after 09:00. Where I hunt the more agressive "Run & Gun" types have gone back to town for brunch and late morning birds may have lost their hens by then. One time we had another hunter run past us on the way in and set up on the bird we were heading for. He called like crazy, we called soft. The bird came to our calls but hung up.

mrk_86
04-30-2014, 08:34 PM
i need to really start turkey hunting. congrats

roverboy
05-04-2014, 12:38 PM
Good bird Boyscout. Hope you get another.

TXGunNut
05-04-2014, 11:32 PM
Good job, nice bird, story well told and illustrated. Nicely done! Thanks for sharing.

Boyscout
05-07-2014, 07:29 PM
Thanks, but I can only take one. Indiana is a one bird state. That was my sixth bird unless you want to count the other 12 I have called in for family.

izzyjoe
05-07-2014, 09:28 PM
Very nice bird, I've yet to kill one myself, this is my third year, and i have a lot to learn, but I'm not giving up.!