PDA

View Full Version : Copper jacket material recycled successfully.

frkelly74
04-26-2014, 07:24 PM
I had melted my remaining range scrap into ingots the other day and had about 10 lbs of jacket material and some few solid copper slugs that I just put with the jackets. I took a load to the recyclers who were closest and whom I have dealt with several times. This time he started in with the $.30 a pound routine for lead bullets and I just calmly said that it was actually #2 copper that I had melted the lead out of and he asked me how in the world I did that. So I told him I had a turkey frier and a big pot and it really wasn't a big problem to get the metal hot enough for the lead to flow. So he looked it over and finally said he believed I was right. So I have finally gotten #2 copper price for jacket material, $2.10 a pound. And now we are leaving the area and I will have to educate another yard operator some where else. I had poured the whole amount over a big magnet to remove the steel by the way so I am sure he got what he paid for.

fastfire
04-26-2014, 07:40 PM
Well done!
In a couple of weeks I should have all my acquired range scrap melted into ingots and will have 7-or 8 5 gallon buckets full of copper jackets to sell. Looking forward to collecting the $$$..

lup
04-26-2014, 08:46 PM
Good for you. The local recyclers here won't budge on things like that.

bangerjim
04-26-2014, 09:30 PM
I inquired of my favorite yard just Friday and he told me they were paying about $2/# for melted-out Cu jackets.

Funny, I can buy range lead for $1/# from him.....keep the lead......and make money selling the Cu jackets back! But then you have to factor in several gallons of gasoline to and from, propane, and a lot of time messing with it`.

Something that sounds too good to be true......generally is!

I'll pass on the range lead. Too much work.

banger

fastfire
04-26-2014, 11:28 PM
Yes, range lead is a lot of work but it is there for the pick'n.

pretzelxx
04-26-2014, 11:51 PM
Every time I hear y'all talk about range lead I feel like running out to an MG range sometime and digging for about 100LBs of stuff to see what a royal pain or actually is. I mean, environmental safety precautions must be taken! I drink the water this lead contaminates.

Magana559
04-26-2014, 11:57 PM
I don't mind range lead a all, I'd rather do that than sort 5 buckets of wheel weights to get a single bucket of lead.

Harter66
04-27-2014, 11:43 AM
Sorting range lead is no more trouble than WW and you can grade it . I have 25-30 lbs of lino class gleaned that way,and if you're getting lead from the scapper anyway no reason not to get some of it back.

nicholst55
04-27-2014, 03:14 PM
Every time I hear y'all talk about range lead I feel like running out to an MG range sometime and digging for about 100LBs of stuff to see what a royal pain or actually is. I mean, environmental safety precautions must be taken! I drink the water this lead contaminates.

FWIW, it's in violation of Army Regs to remove anything from the impact area of a range - unless you're in EOD, I presume. Just don't get caught by Range Control.

pretzelxx
04-27-2014, 03:24 PM
I know, which is why I never will. But I always have the urge, usually only at the 50 cal ranges. Most bang for the weight

Magana559
04-29-2014, 08:59 PM
Isn't most 50 Cal steel core?

pretzelxx
04-29-2014, 09:37 PM
Not the stuff I've seen in Afghanistan... sort of a hollow base boat tail design, pretty soft material on the inside. Never cut one open tho, just pulled a few rounds by driving over them. (Accidental drive overs)

xacex
05-01-2014, 12:15 AM
I think there are more things to worry about than lead in Ft. Lewis. Lakewood has turned into something I never thought I would see in my lifetime. When I drive through Tacoma I dont stop anymore.