PDA

View Full Version : I love yard sales !

DHurtig
04-26-2014, 01:55 PM
It's nice that warmer weather and the yard sales are back. The Saturday morning routine for the wife and I is to go out for breakfast and look at the yard sales listed in the paper while we eat. Found a few odds and ends. Bought almost 4 pounds of brass candle stick holders for a dollar. These will all be added to the brass bucket that will go to the scrapyard the next time I go.

We then headed to a different part of town that was having a neighborhood sale. Walked into a guys garage and he had a table full of ammo. I picked up 2 boxes of Black Cloud #4 steel, a box of Federal #3 steel and 3 25 round boxes of Rio 00 Buck for $60. These were all full boxes of new 12 gauge shells. The 3 boxes of steel shot are worth more than what I paid for the whole lot. Basically got 75 rounds of 00 buck for free.

I sure do look forward to Saturday mornings, biscuits and gravy and then the hunt is on.

bayjoe
04-26-2014, 05:07 PM
Biscuits and gravy sure sounds good. I don't get it to often anymore due to my high cholesterol. Sucks getting old!!

histed
04-26-2014, 05:31 PM
Sucks getting old!! Beats the alternative, I guess. Sounds like I need to start looking at yard sales - there's usually a ton of them around here during the summer

jlm223
04-26-2014, 09:11 PM
You just never know what you will find, unless you stop and take a look!

Bad Water Bill
04-26-2014, 11:31 PM
I quit a lomg time ago.

All I ever found was a bunch of worn and abused STUFF that the folks thought were made of gold.

DHurtig
04-26-2014, 11:42 PM
I know all to well about getting old. 6 years ago I had a massive heart attack that I shouldn't have lived through. That led to 7 by passes and congestive heart failure. 11 months later I followed that up with prostate cancer. Now my urologist says the cancer is back. Still trying to decide on a course of action.

I'm pretty good about my diet now. Lots more fruits and vegetables. Took a long time to figure out how to make a salad that I can look forward to. Dried cranberries or golden raisins and a few peanuts can sure improve a bowl of lettuce. I don't feel guilty about an occasional indiscretion. Try to avoid things that come in a can or a box or bag as much as possible. Seems like they add sodium to everything but water. Spent a lot of time in the grocery store reading labels. Learned to make a lot of things from scratch. Make all my pasta sauces from scratch too and they are as good or better than the premium brands that sell for $6 to $8 a quart and it's easy and I enjoy doing it.

Newcatwalt
04-27-2014, 12:01 AM
Good score - best of luck in your further endeavors.

Ajax
04-27-2014, 08:47 AM
You mean you didn't offer him more than he asked?

Andy

LynC2
04-27-2014, 08:58 AM
It's nice that warmer weather and the yard sales are back. "Snip"
I sure do look forward to Saturday mornings, biscuits and gravy and then the hunt is on.

I'm not much for yard sales, but "biscuits and gravy" I am most certainly up for most any day! Yummy!

contender1
04-27-2014, 10:30 AM
My wife & I enjoy yard sales & auctions. Sometimes we do good & other times, nada!
Unfortunately, it seems that the days we see a lot of signs for yard sales are the very days we are too busy to stop. Just yesterday,,, we had a NRA Women On Target clinic to run. On the way to the range,,,, we saw several signs. Managed to stop at 2 of them, Nada!

DHurtig
04-27-2014, 04:25 PM
Ajax... I'm kinda funny that way. I guess it's just not the younger generation that's selfish and self centered nowadays.

I've been to a few auctions lately but don't normally stay very long. Always seem to see a few small ticket items that I'd bid on but I'm not going wait who knows how long for something that I'd buy at a yard sale for a dollar or two.

Probably one of the best things I've ever found at a yard sale is a signed and numbered art print titled Fenceline Crossing by John Green. It was matted and framed and I got it for $10.

Years ago I got a 25 round 10-22 magazine for a dollar and sold it at the next gun show for $25.

Picked up a powder measure for $3 at one sale and sold it in ebay for $40.

Last year I got a Nikon scope for $75 and got $125 for it at the next gun show.

Always check out the free stuff too. Last summer I picked up a stack of magazines for free. Many of them were a magazine called Sporting Classics which I had never seen before. It is reprints of classic articles by the best outdoor writers of years gone by. Many hours of enjoyable reading there. As a bonus, there were a number of issues of Handloader in the pile. Score!!!

Free is even better than cheap. Yup, I sure do love yard sales.

mold maker
04-27-2014, 07:40 PM
All they sell around here are out grown kids clothes and toys. Most older folks donate their stuff instead of standing all day, in the yard dickering with cheap skates.

psychicrhino
04-27-2014, 08:07 PM
Nice score at the yard sales. I do this with my boys some times except with pancakes. That sucks about your prostate cancer. Apparently most men will get it if they live long enough....or so they say I hope you get some good options and remission.

Garyshome
04-27-2014, 09:08 PM
Pewter is big around here! Usually pretty cheap too.

DHurtig
04-27-2014, 11:00 PM
I've made a couple of good scores of pewter at yard sales too. Always looking for solder too but haven't found any of that yet. Just always on the lookout for anything I can use or turn over for a profit. It's always a good time even if I don't buy anything which is rare. Yesterday I picked up a cookbook for one daughter. My other daughters husband is a huge super hero fan, especially the "Hulk". And I mean huge in more ways than one. I'm 6'2" and 285 pounds and the SIL makes me look small. Anyway I got him some action figures for his collection.

Ajax
04-28-2014, 05:14 AM
DHurtig,
The purple font means sarcasm. I have always believed someone asks a price someone buys it, no problems. Just because someone thinks it was too little money is not a issue. I think you made a amazing deal and it sounds like you were both happy.
Grats.

Andy

DHurtig
04-28-2014, 09:45 AM
Oh I'm well aware of the purple font. I should have used it in my response.

I would compare yard sales to hunting. The search is like the stalk. The successful haggle is like the kill.

He had $15 a box on the steel shot and $10 on the buck shot. The steel shot probably sells for over $20 a box and the buckshot for around $15, so the retail price for the whole lot would be around $110 or $115. I didn't need any of it, but it could be used. My son is the bird hunter so the steel was for him. I can cast and load my own buck shot, but the price was good. His asking price was $75 for what I wanted and it was a fair price. I offered $60. Turns out the ammo belonged to some one who wasn't there, so the guy had to make a phone call. The guy I was dealing with must have been tired of storing it because he was arguing on my behalf. He made comments like "Well, how long has it been here?" and "When are you ever gonna shoot it?" It's better than reality TV, because I'm part of the action.

I am reminded of the scene from the movie " The Color of Money" where Paul Newman tells Tom Cruise, "Money won is twice as sweet as money earned".

Oh man, do I love yard sales!!!

missionary5155
04-28-2014, 10:38 AM
Good morning
Prostate.. Start taking Saw Palmeto when you are 40. No matter what age you are over 40 start.
I am nearing 64 and have no problems except if I have to take cold meds.
Mike in Peru

cbrick
04-28-2014, 11:02 AM
I gave up on yard sales completely. Never find anything except people having them for a living selling baby clothes, busted toys and junk Wal-Mart furniture that they bought at other yard sales put on by others doing the same thing.

Rick