PDA

View Full Version : New Boolit Mold!!!!

mikeym1a
04-25-2014, 11:24 PM
103225Just arrived this afternoon! New mold from NOE, 303212, pretty mold. Couldn't wait to try it out, but, exercised patience, and heat cycled it on the stove 3 times. I know, it was supposed to be four, but I've always been impatient. So, three was as long as I could exercise.

Mixed up some misc alloy, allowed to melt while mold was cycling. Then went out and made new recruits! There's maybe a half-dozed culls in the whole lot. Nice, tall, 'manly' looking boolits! Haven't measured or weighed them yet. Think i'll go do that right now. Well, according to my new spline micrometer, they measure .303/.304, as dropped, and weigh 216grs, according to my Redding oil dampened power and boolit scale. I am very pleased with this lovely new mold from NOE! Beautiful workmanship! and it they shoot as good as they look, then my scores should go up! Love it!!!103224

tazman
04-26-2014, 12:07 AM
Congratulations. NOE makes wonderful molds, and your boolits look fantastic.

62chevy
04-26-2014, 10:59 AM
Nice looking boolits.

Why do you need to cycle the mold 4 time ?

mikeym1a
04-26-2014, 11:12 AM
That was in the instructions that came with the mold. Plus, I have found with other molds, that boolit production gets better after the 4th or 5th production run. Not sure why, but, that is how it seems to me. Plus, I have found that with any of the molds I own, if I put it on the stove, with the sprue plate on the burner and let it heat up, I get much better results. After the plate it hot, the mold itself is the right temperature. I was getting very frustrated by the alloy congealing on the plate, rather than flowing into the mold cavity. So, I heat the sprue plate first. It is a pretty mold, and makes lovely boolits. THANKS, NOE!!!! :grin:

62chevy
04-26-2014, 09:41 PM
The sprue plate! Face palm! I totally forgot to heat it last casting and was wondering why the boolits looked so crappy.