PDA

View Full Version : blew this fellas mind

labradigger1
04-25-2014, 10:18 PM
Mrs. Lab and myself went to the range today to do a little shooting. I set up some 6" ballons and turkey sillouettes at 120 yds and was shooting my SRH in 44 mag using stock sights and 429421's over 18.5 grn of 2400. We had been shooting for a couple hours and we both were zero'd in pretty well when some fella showed up w/ 2 women and looked at the balloons and seen the pistol. He then ask if we were still shooting and i replied only for a couple more mins as soon as i shot the remainder of the balloons, his reply was (insert a questionable whine) with a pistol?
He went a few benches down and set up his targets at about 12 feet and began shooting.
Now i am not a great shot but if my pistols wont hit a 6" target at that range something is wrong. My wife really impressed me today as she was shooting offhand and hitting them regularly. Started the day shooting the '92 in 44 with some stout blue dot loads and checked 429244's off of a rest, that did not last long as the steel but plate knocks the **** out of me. Standing or sitting upright no problems at all but down and prone is not for me. I think a longer stock with a recoil pad is in the future. Great way to spend an otherwise crappy rainy day.
Lab

Magana559
04-25-2014, 10:24 PM
Better shooting than I!

LUBEDUDE
04-25-2014, 10:31 PM
Yup, your Gal can shoot alright! :Fire:

archmaker
04-26-2014, 10:53 AM
I am always amazed how most people underrate a pistol. OKC gun club back in the 80's would have a silhouette pistol shoot on the rifle range (start at 200m and out to 500m) and there was some guys that could post some decent scores with their iron sighted pistols (say mid 20's).

I once attended a bowling pin match with my SBH (10 1/2") that I used for silhouettes and yeah I did not do well, but had fun, after the match a few of the members were giving me a hard time (in a fun type of way) and I challenged them to a 're-match' but I could pick the distance. Loser had to reset the target, I picked 150yds and although I did not hit it all the time I never had to go reset it. :) Today I would be lucky to pull that off, old age is creeping up on me, and I don't shoot like I did when I was in my 20's.

mikeym1a
04-26-2014, 11:18 AM
Same here. I always shoot my .45acp at the 75yd silhouette, and get about 65% hits, offhand. The rest are clustered close by. If I had been shooting from a rest, then the results would have been better. My son was shooting his 3" S&W .32 and getting as good a hit ratio as I. It's fun and challenging. One guy came over to see what I was shooting, and saw a stock .45, and just went 'hhhmmmm'. I'm no great shot, but, it was fun. It is all a matter of effort. The shorter sight radius makes it a bit more difficult, but the potential is there. I guess most people are ingrained that a pistol is a 'short' range firearm. Any gun is fun, under the right circumstances. mikey :D

waksupi
04-26-2014, 11:45 AM
The guys I usually shoot with and I almost always shoot our handguns at longer ranges, 100+ yards. One guy asked us what we were shooting at one time on the local range. We were using a small empty .22 box as a target on the 100 yard berm. After he saw what we were shooting at, and hitting or kicking around pretty much every shot, he didn't have much to say. We shoot as far as we can see where hits are. Then when we go to actual sanctioned shoots, I have met with surprise at how well I do on the usual close targets of pistol competition, as I am a very irregular attendee at those type of shoots nowadays.

lbaize3
04-26-2014, 12:30 PM
I have to agree that shooting a handgun at 100 plus yards is very satisfying for me. I do not hit the 8 inch plate at 200 as often as I used to, but I hit it more often than not. My friends are always surprised that I can do this with one of my fixed sight guns. The key to hitting these long range targets is simply practice, practice, practice. And to be honest, those that can not believe we can hit at long range with our pistols are not willing or able to put in the time and money to do the practicing...

Hogdaddy
04-26-2014, 01:00 PM
Years ago,,Not now with my sight ; )
H/D

labradigger1
04-26-2014, 02:55 PM
Fun shootin pistols at longer ranges aint it. As lbaze3 said practice practice, practice. My eyes are not too bad yet as i am 41 with 20-40 in right eye and 20-20 in my left. I shoot pistols left eye dominant.
lab

Artful
04-26-2014, 03:40 PM
I miss the says of being able to see iron sights, I still remember when I about 20 and my best friends older brother bought a new rifle and came out to the rifle range. He wanted help getting the sights set - I was practicing on rams at 200 meters with my S&W Model 29 with 8 3/8 barrel, told him hang on a minute let me finish this cylinder - and popped 5 out of 6 off hand. Turned around and he just picked up his Model 94 .30-30 and left muttering to himself.

shaggybull
04-26-2014, 11:24 PM
try shooting golf balls they dance and move around lots of fun. we play redneck golf make a circle or line on the ground move your ball into the circle great fun

captaint
04-27-2014, 08:36 AM
I'm 64, and of course my eyes don't work like they used to. With iron handgun sights, I still do fine with windage, but the elevation ??? I just say I'm vertically challenged. Oh well, got to get some scopes for the short guns. Mike

TCLouis
04-27-2014, 11:42 AM
I used to have a POsition where ranges were available.

When we built a new section the area was completely cleared from about 150 meters out to 800 and small rocks and roots were left scattered about.

I loved to sit with my back against a post elbows on my knees and plink away at those small and distant targets. It amazes me how the brain can compensate for differences in distance and allow hits or very near misses (and correct for misses)over a broad range of distance. Bare dirt gave the feedback needed for correction.
Someone here used to have the tag line, "Aim Small, Hit Small" and the more does the former, the more they will do the latter.

That Super Blackhawk was likely the most accurate gun I have ever owned, next to my Super Redhawk, but the 9 1/2" SRH is heavy and tiring to shoot.

I no longer have access to any distance over 100 yards also . . . . DANG it was fun while it lasted.

reloader28
04-28-2014, 09:33 AM
The best I ever did was shooting a steel fence post at 85yds with my 44 Vaquero.
Hit it 4 out of 12 times and the misses were no more than 2" either way.
Impressed myself that day.

HABCAN
04-29-2014, 12:50 PM
When I was coaching 'longer-range' pistol shooting I compared a pistol barrel's caliber-to-bore-length with the 25 pdr. field gun. "Now, try to set your stance as rigidly as that dug-in artillery piece. If it can "drop shells down chimneys at five miles" YOU can hit an oil drum at 500 yds." After a while, they could, and then we just refined things a mite, LOL.

beagle
04-29-2014, 04:32 PM
Yeah, that's fun with a .44 until you hit low and the ball rolls down the berm and into the bullet cavity.

Clay pigeons are really fun as well./beagle

try shooting golf balls they dance and move around lots of fun. we play redneck golf make a circle or line on the ground move your ball into the circle great fun