PDA

View Full Version : What should I offer for Lead pipe

NuJudge
01-05-2008, 12:46 PM
I've been offered tons, and been asked what I would be willing to pay for it. I believe it to be new, in 10 foot lengths. I'm thinking of offering 50 cents a pound if clean, and 25 cents a pound if wrapped or otherwise dirty.

CDD

No_1
01-05-2008, 01:00 PM
I would offer .15 & .35 and let them "talk you up" to .25 & .50. That way you are both getting a deal. The lead pipe I get from 100 year old houses around here is dead soft. It is worth much more than you are willing to pay to those that shoot BP.

Robert

montana_charlie
01-05-2008, 01:07 PM
Is this in a process where you only get one turn to name a price?

While it's true that 'new' pipe would be easier to use than 'used' pipe...the difference is not very great when you step back to look at a pile of ingots.

Since the seller has a quantity of lead pipe that he does not want...and there is little market for lead pipe (to be used in pipe form)...what the seller has is 'scrap metal'.
Around here, the scrap guys sell 'lead' for 35 cents. That is probably (at least) 50% more than they pay for it.

If scrap lead is selling in your area for 50 cents, I wouldn't offer more than 30 cents...regardless of used/new condition.

Of course, this also depends on how bad you want it...
CM

GLL
01-05-2008, 01:24 PM
Here in southern California metal dealers seem to think pure lead, gold, and platinum are in the same price class ! ;)

I would certainly pay the 50 cent price around here for a couple tons of the clean stuff ! You might as well offer lower though and see the reaction.

Jerry

Blackhawk Convertable
01-05-2008, 01:48 PM
Call the scrap yard and get a price. Here I believe it is 40¢ a pound. I would then go a nickel or so more. Everyone is happy then.

mooman76
01-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Offer $.05-.10 under the going rate and you haul away.