PDA

View Full Version : Berrys load data

ncfyrfyter
04-25-2014, 02:16 PM
Can you use load data for Berry's bullets to load cast boolits, or do I need to reduce it? If so, how much? I found data on Hodgedons website for 40 S&W, 180 gr using Longshot starting at 6.3 gr. I also found a post in a thread here, on 40 S&W loads, that said they used 6.5 gr of Longshot. Still trying to get a grasp of how to use data for plated or j-bullets to determine a safe starting load for cast boolits. The place where I bought the cast boolits told me that I could use data for j-bullets if I reduced them by 10%???

shooterbob
04-25-2014, 02:42 PM
Yes Berrys and cast go hand in hand. Most load books have a cast section though. When loading plated you want to go with mid range jacketed data. Should be the same with cast. I'll see what mine says for your boolit.

petroid
04-25-2014, 02:47 PM
I personally like 8.0gr of Longshot for 180gr plated bullets. 6.5 shoots fine but leaves the cases quite sooty and the gun dirty. But its a good place to start and work up until you get the function, accuracy, and/or velocity you want

shooterbob
04-25-2014, 02:57 PM
I was suprised to see Hodgdons berrys load at higher speed and pressure than an xtp. In my experience its not a good idea to drive them that fast. All of my cast data is around 8-900. But there's always an exception it seems.

petroid
04-25-2014, 03:02 PM
I think the XTP bullets were designed around a certain velocity range which may be why the load data is that way. Plated bullets, while not as tough as FMJ, can still be driven pretty fast.

aspangler
04-25-2014, 05:05 PM
Berry's says to use cast data for their bullets.

Shiloh
04-25-2014, 05:41 PM
Years since I loaded these.
At the time I used midrange load for jacketed bullets and left it there.

Shiloh

ncfyrfyter
04-25-2014, 07:40 PM
Thanks again guys! I do try searching for answers before I ask, but sometimes just can't find them all.

Shiloh
04-25-2014, 08:49 PM
Just ask.
Lots of experienced casters and loaders here. Ask away.

Shiloh

62chevy
04-25-2014, 10:30 PM
X-Treme Bullets say this about their plated bullets.

Load Info:
- Our Copper Plated Bullets can be run at mid-range jacketed velocities or higher end lead velocities. We do not recommend velocities over 1500 FPS (Feet Per Second) and only a light taper crimp.
Any velocities over 1200 FPS we recommend either our Heavy Plate Concave Base or Hollow Point products for superior accuracy. We do not recommend velocities over 1500 FPS (Feet Per Second) and only a light taper crimp.

http://www.xtremebullets.com/Bullet-Load-Info-s/1952.htm

jonp
04-26-2014, 10:10 AM
Berry's says to use cast data for their bullets.

They do?

From Berry's Bullets: Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads.
http://www.berrysmfg.com/faq-q9-c1-How_do_I_load_Berrys_Preferred_Plated_Bullets.aspx

Best place to start when trying some bullets/boolits is the manu's own site.

mdi
04-26-2014, 11:40 AM
This thread seems opposite of normal "what's a load for plated bullets?" questions. If you want cast lead bullet load data, I'd suggest l'd suggest Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook. If you want data for plated bullets, go with the info from the manufacturer's websites. No good substitute for maker's suggestions and a reloading manual. Extrapolating load data for one type bullet to another type bullet is better left until more experience is gained...

jonp
04-26-2014, 09:20 PM
This thread seems opposite of normal "what's a load for plated bullets?" questions. If you want cast lead bullet load data, I'd suggest l'd suggest Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook. If you want data for plated bullets, go with the info from the manufacturer's websites. No good substitute for maker's suggestions and a reloading manual. Extrapolating load data for one type bullet to another type bullet is better left until more experience is gained...

^^+1 I've used several Berry's Bullets and have found them to be excellent.

steve4102
04-27-2014, 09:20 AM
They do?

From Berry's Bullets: Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads.
http://www.berrysmfg.com/faq-q9-c1-How_do_I_load_Berrys_Preferred_Plated_Bullets.aspx

Best place to start when trying some bullets/boolits is the manu's own site.

Hey Jon, I see you have found the FAQ section over at Berry's Bullets. They have some confusing info on this page.

You quoted from line 3, How do I load Berry's Preferred Plated Bullets?

Scroll down to the bottom and click on, Load Data for Berry's Preferred Plated Bullets
It's says this.

We recommend using hard cast load data or start with mid-range jacketed data.

A tad confusing ain't it?

Not only do they say to use Lead data they also say to "Start" with mid-range Jacketed data. Whereas your quote they say to "Use" mid-range jacketed data.

Cool ain't it?

62chevy
04-27-2014, 09:34 AM
http://www.berrysmfg.com/faq-q21-c1-Load_Data_for_Berrys_Preferred_Plated_Bullets.aspx

Currently published load data is limited to some calibers by Accurate, Western Powders and Hodgdon. We are working with these companies to get data published for all of our bullets.

We recommend using hard cast load data or start with mid-range jacketed data. Make sure data is below 1250fps unless you are using a Thick-Plated bullet that we list a higher max velocity for like the 9mm 124gr HBRN-TP that can be shot to 1500fps in open class guns like a .38 Super. Keep in mind that since our plated bullet has the same pressure curve as a hard cast bullet, the published cast data will be very close to what you will get with our plated bullets. If you use Jacketed data with our plated bullets you can get from 5% - 8% increase in velocity using that data.

Other than the data from Western and Accurate for the 9mm, .40S&W and Hodgdon .40S&W there is no printed data available.

Seems like Berry's and X-Treme agree on load data for plated bullets.

jonp
04-27-2014, 10:37 AM
Hey Jon, I see you have found the FAQ section over at Berry's Bullets. They have some confusing info on this page.

You quoted from line 3, How do I load Berry's Preferred Plated Bullets?

Scroll down to the bottom and click on, Load Data for Berry's Preferred Plated Bullets
It's says this.

We recommend using hard cast load data or start with mid-range jacketed data.

A tad confusing ain't it?

Not only do they say to use Lead data they also say to "Start" with mid-range Jacketed data. Whereas your quote they say to "Use" mid-range jacketed data.

Cool ain't it?

I see your point. I was looking for a start point when I bought some and after I read the first one disregarded the rest. When this thread comment popped up I remembered that part so went right to it. Maybe the difference is they say "for BEST results start with low to mid jacketed data" and farther down they say START with hard cast or mid jckt. A subtle difference and a confusing one I agree.

mdi
04-27-2014, 11:24 AM
When I first found plated bullets some years ago, I just started with cast lead load levels. I didn't give it much thought as the plated bullets are soft, and the plating is relatively soft, and I had no need to run them faster than my lead bullets. No big deal really, no harm will come from loading them "too low", and as is well known, keep them under 1250 fps....

Common sense.

MBuechle
04-27-2014, 08:20 PM
To the OP, I worked up Longshot with cast Mihec 190gr. WFN in my XD-40. 7gr. of Longshot yielded 1096 fps. with an ES of 8 and an SD of 4.4 for ten shots. This is a max as interpolated between 180 & 200 gr. bullets from Hodgdon's data. The starting loads were sooty with an SD of about 25. As the charge weight went up, the loads cleaned up and the SD went down. This powder likes to be pushed hard and thus I would not recommend for light plinking loads or light bullets. It's pretty awesome with heavy boollits though.

ncfyrfyter
04-29-2014, 09:43 AM
To the OP, I worked up Longshot with cast Mihec 190gr. WFN in my XD-40. 7gr. of Longshot yielded 1096 fps. with an ES of 8 and an SD of 4.4 for ten shots. This is a max as interpolated between 180 & 200 gr. bullets from Hodgdon's data. The starting loads were sooty with an SD of about 25. As the charge weight went up, the loads cleaned up and the SD went down. This powder likes to be pushed hard and thus I would not recommend for light plinking loads or light bullets. It's pretty awesome with heavy boollits though.

Thanks! I think I might just wait until some more suitable "plinking" powders are available before I get into this. I appreciate everyone's input!!!