PDA

View Full Version : Who was Felix Robbins? History

HARRYMPOPE
04-24-2014, 11:41 PM
I am sad to see one of us leave the way he did.I enjoyed his input to the forum very much.
I just am curious who he was,where he competed and such. I know nothing about this fellow other than his threads here.

Harry.

jonp
04-25-2014, 12:06 AM
Ditto. I'd like to hear information on Felix myself.

9w1911
04-25-2014, 12:34 AM
how did he know so much about smokeless powder, guy blew my mind several times RIP

jcwit
04-25-2014, 08:42 AM
Here is a start

http://www.obitsforlife.com/obituary/891438/Robbins-Felix.php

Obituary:

Felix Monroe Robbins III, 72, of Fort Smith, Arkansas passed away on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 in a local hospital. He was born in St. Louis, MO to Felix M. Robbins, Jr. and Blanche Mudd Robbins. He earned two master’s degrees one in Computer Science and one in Electrical Engineering. He was a computer Engineer and had retired from Baldor Electric. He was a member of Christ the King Catholic Church and was preceded in death by two sons, Jason and Andrew Robbins and by his brothers, Bill and John Robbins.

Funeral Mass will be held at 11:00AM, Monday, April 28, 2014 at Christ the King Catholic Church with cremation to follow.

He is survived by his wife Patricia of the home, two sons, Thomas Robbins of Little Rock, AR and Nicholas Robbins of Bentonville, AR; three sisters, Martha Robbins-Bowman and her husband Walter of Pitts, PA, Mary Ellen Robbins of Cordova, TN and Dorothy Poynor and her husband Freddie of Panama City Beach, FL; three brothers, Jim Robbins and his wife Noel of New Madrid, MO, Jere Robbins and his wife Susan of St. Charles, MO and Gene Robbins and his wife Kate of Houston, TX and several nieces and nephews.

Pallbearers are Thomas, Nicholas, Jim, Jere and Gene Robbins.

The rosary will be 6:30PM, Sunday, April 27th at Ocker-Putman Funeral Home of Fort Smith, Arkansas. The family will visit with friends following the Rosary.

Memorials may be made to Boy’s Town Estate Administration 14100 Crawford St. Boy’s Town, NE 68010

Beau Cassidy
04-25-2014, 09:01 AM
He mentioned competing with cast bullets at some point. Another thing I remember him posting about is he was the guy responsible for coming up with the process for putting air in your potato chip bags.

Goatwhiskers
04-25-2014, 09:01 AM
It always seems that the good are taken far too soon. GW

Bullshop
04-25-2014, 09:49 AM
Felix spoke of being an X- BR shooter that just got tired of the drudgery so turned his attention to the pursuit of cast boolit excellence.
He seemed to have retained a BR rifle in 222 to aid his pursuit.

RickinTN
04-25-2014, 09:53 AM
From what I recall and gathered from some of his comments he was very familiar with the "Houston Warehouse Experiment". I don't know that he ever said, but did leave the impression with me that he may have been a participant.
Rick

Bullshop
04-25-2014, 10:21 AM
Yes your right. He often reminded me of the optimum barrel length discovery.

dragon813gt
04-25-2014, 11:02 AM
Well I just googled the Houston warehouse experiment so now I have a nine page article to read and reread and reread.....and hopefully one day I will fully understand everything in it.

MT Gianni
04-25-2014, 11:15 AM
In conversations he understood the electrical motor theory far better than most. His Father and Uncles hunted and he had no interest but a lot in shooting sports. Former benchrest and cast competitive shooter, his engineering mind understood the combustion process and powder make up and was able to describe any of it in laymens terms.

Char-Gar
04-25-2014, 11:33 AM
Felix was a very interesting guy. He thought in scientific engineering ways and spoke in that same language, at least about firearms and loading anyway. My mind is not wound that way so at times we had difficulty understanding each other. He was a very pleasant man to speak with on the phone. He was a thoroughly dedicated Christian of the Roman Catholic stripe and lived his faith as best as I have ever seen it done.

I am certain with all his education, Felix must have taken some intelligence tests at some point and I am betting he pegged the meter at the genius level. He was not a very complex person, as what you saw was who he was, he was/is just quite different from most of us in many ways, but they are good productive and benign ways. For all his intelligence, he had very little, if any, pride and ego. Felix Robbins was/is a thoroughly good man as we measure such things.

God is not going to have to grade on the curve to allow Felix entry into heaven. He and I are the same age, so of course, he died way to young. But such comes to all of us in due time. I will miss the quirky egg head, but I do not greave for him. He had lots of loss in his life and dealt with it all as a Christian gentleman.

P.S. - I a not surprised to see that Felix chose cremation. He would see that as a more efficient use of resources. :-)

MBTcustom
04-25-2014, 12:42 PM
I am certain with all his education, Felix must have taken some intelligence tests at some point and I am betting he pegged the meter at the genius level. He was not a very complex person, as what you saw was who he was, he was/is just quite different from most of us in many ways, but they are good productive and benign ways. For all his intelligence, he had very little, if any, pride and ego. Felix Robbins was/is a thoroughly good man as we measure such things.

This pretty much sums Felix up in less words than I could have ever done it in. I didn't know much about his history. I know that he would not hunt (unless you count blasting squirrels off his favorite tree hunting) and it bothered him to see firearms as anything but recreational instruments of pleasure.
I think his intelegence, ballanced perfectly by his humility was why I loved him so much. It's just such a rare thing, and shows that he was not trying to be better than me, he just was better than me, and wanted to help me to better myself.
I have held his 222 bench rifle. It has a 6oz trigger, and no frills. Just a simple tack-driver, but he loved fine firearms with a passion as well, and showed me what quality looks like.
He's been a constant mainstay on this forum from the very beginning, and has been feeding us solid advice for years.
As to his past, I can't say. I think I'm less than half his age, and he was winning with a benchgun when I was in diapers. Felix never talked to me much about the past. He talked to me about what I was doing now, and how I could do it better. I just really wish I could have met him 6 years ago when I had more time to spend with him, but honestly, I think I could have shot with Felix every weekend for a year and feel the same way.

SSGOldfart
04-25-2014, 01:01 PM
Yes your right. He often reminded me of the optimum barrel length discovery.
humm me too it was 21.75" was some kind of magic number for barrel length. he'll be missed a lot here

Lee
04-25-2014, 01:17 PM
So sorry to hear he is gone. I hope for his sake it was quick and painless. He will be missed. RIP, Felix

HollandNut
04-25-2014, 02:25 PM
Never met the man , but like others here had contact via the forum and no more ..

I had forgotten about the Houston experiment , I read that years ago ..

I guess the Felix lube will be no more , or was the recipe passed along to someone ?

jonk
04-25-2014, 02:30 PM
Never met the man , but like others here had contact via the forum and no more ..

I had forgotten about the Houston experiment , I read that years ago ..

I guess the Felix lube will be no more , or was the recipe passed along to someone ?

How so? I have the recipe hanging over my bench. It's all over the internet.

Sorry to hear he passed, I pray his family will find comfort in the fact that he's in a better place now.

HollandNut
04-25-2014, 02:50 PM
well I wasn't aware of it being all over the internet , duh .

but haven't looked either ..

Char-Gar
04-25-2014, 04:12 PM
Tim....Maybe it is a generational thing, as like Felix, I hate to hear firearms called weapons and think of them only as collectable history and for sporting use. I consider all of todays run around, roll on the ground tactical nonsense rather childish. Everyone wants to be ninja/swat trained and ready to neutralize any threat that comes their way. The whole thing looks rather immature to me.

I realize that folks will have a negative reaction to this, but unlike Felix I don't mind upsetting folks. Felix was/is a better man than me. :-)

mainiac
04-25-2014, 04:59 PM
I know that felix knew alot about benchrest guns.I used to talk about it with him. I dropped out of br myself,just as felix did.We had the same conclusions.Wish i could have met him in person,and try to delve into that amazing brain of his......shame hes gone,,,,

ghh3rd
04-25-2014, 05:03 PM
"Houston Warehouse Experiment" - just looked it up and read it... a lot of reading! Good stuff...

dragon813gt
04-25-2014, 05:09 PM
Tim....Maybe it is a generational thing, as like Felix, I hate to hear firearms called weapons and think of them only as collectable history and for sporting use. I consider all of todays run around, roll on the ground tactical nonsense rather childish. Everyone wants to be ninja/swat trained and ready to neutralize any threat that comes their way. The whole thing looks rather immature to me.

I realize that folks will have a negative reaction to this, but unlike Felix I don't mind upsetting folks. Felix was/is a better man than me. :-)

I don't think it's a generational thing. I think it has to do w/ education. I was taught to call them by their proper name and they were never to be referred to as a weapon. And as a younger gentleman I find the whole tacticool thing to be beyond childish. I can't express my true feelings here due to the word filters. Hate me all you want, I have thick skin.

BeeMan
04-25-2014, 05:57 PM
Answering who Felix was would be tough for those of us who did not meet him or get to know him in person. Still, the conversations I had with him via email and PMs shed some light on the man. He had a very intelligent and analytical mind, balanced with a very humble and respectful approach to others.

I recall public and off line discussions as varied as getting maximum value from a car purchase or sale, planting walnut trees as an investment, what made for a good camshaft design in a high performance engine, electric motor design, the value of well grounded personal faith in strengthening relationships, computers, software, and of course cast bullet lube, firearm design for accuracy, and a keen understanding of how propellants burn in the cartridge and firearm system. To me, Felix was a modern Renaissance Man, for whom the whole of knowledge was a field to tackle. Yet he was approachable and willing to share.

Quite the unique individual.

HARRYMPOPE
04-25-2014, 07:23 PM
I don't think it's a generational thing. I think it has to do w/ education. I was taught to call them by their proper name and they were never to be referred to as a weapon. And as a younger gentleman I find the whole tacticool thing to be beyond childish. I can't express my true feelings here due to the word filters. Hate me all you want, I have thick skin.

I dont care for that stuff but who cares if the have it.it just when it comes to defending gun rights those are the ones that stick out.I have the same problem Felix did abut calling guns "weapons"

mpbarry1
04-25-2014, 07:39 PM
Everything is a weapon, and nothing is. depends on how you use it. You dont hear litte league moms calling a ball bat a weapon. But they are often used that way. More often then a firearm actually here in the US.

I loved to read everything Felix posted. He was a very thoughtful man and kind to me and my questions. I only interacted w him a couple of times, but he always made me feel good in the conversation.

Felix will be missed. We have several folks on here with the same nonjudgemental mentoring style. I challenge all of u to be mentors like Felix was. I truely love this place.

Mumblypeg
04-25-2014, 09:05 PM
Everything is a weapon, and nothing is. depends on how you use it. You dont hear litte league moms calling a ball bat a weapon. But they are often used that way. More often then a firearm actually here in the US.

I loved to read everything Felix posted. He was a very thoughtful man and kind to me and my questions. I only interacted w him a couple of times, but he always made me feel good in the conversation.

Felix will be missed. We have several folks on here with the same nonjudgemental mentoring style. I challenge all of u to be mentors like Felix was. I truely love this place.

These are the kinds of post that make me smile..... and if you don't understand....well... you just don't understand....

WallyM3
04-25-2014, 09:28 PM
We've lost a lovely man.

Elkins45
04-25-2014, 09:41 PM
How very sad that he was preceded in death by two of his sons. I'm not a parent but I have some small insight into the kind of hurt a loss like that can bring. It is an even greater testimony that he was such a considerate and giving person after bearing such pain.

One of the unintended negative consequences of our otherwise fantastic global electronic village is that it can occasionally cause us to mourn the loss of friends we've never actually met.

WallyM3
04-25-2014, 09:59 PM
"One of the unintended negative consequences of our otherwise fantastic global electronic village is that it can occasionally cause us to mourn the loss of friends we've never actually met."

But, we are the richer therefore.

TXGunNut
04-25-2014, 10:05 PM
Good man gone too soon. Houston warehouse project was indeed the golden age of early BR learning. It bothers me that he responded to a post of mine awhile back and I didn't understand his response. Now I know that I just wasn't paying attention. Wish I understood powders the way he did, so sad to lose all that expertise.

sundog
04-25-2014, 10:11 PM
I've shot Felix's BR gun on at least two different occasions. The mere fact that he would let me was a humbling experience and speak volumes of his friendship and encouragement. That gun shoots awesome groups -- with cast. Just spending a day with him, and Pat, was to know what fine people the Robbins are. I surely will miss him, but to have known him as enriched my life.

MT Gianni
04-25-2014, 11:15 PM
Way back on the Shooters Board I remember him talking about barrel harmonics and how accuracy is best found in multiples of 8000 fps though acceptable can often be reached @ 4000 fps intervals. I wish I remembered more about that as I have not heard that discussed in that depth for a while.

Rusty W
04-25-2014, 11:19 PM
I remember the 1st time I met Felix. It was about 2 years ago. We pm'd each other a few times and set up a meeting place & time. We met at Braums and had some ice cream and talked about shooting, guns, & just life in general. We talked about an hour or so and exchanged phone numbers. We set up another meeting and he and radar came over to my place to do some shooting. He brought a couple of 1911's to try out and he shot a couple Ruger wheelguns. We looked over my casting and reloading setup and talked boolits, styles, designs, and just shooting in general again. He had told me he was just recovering from being sick and just getting enough energy to get out some. We had a good day shooting & visiting. I learned a few things that day but it took awhile to sink in. Felix had a vocabulary wayyy above what this small town okie could understand right off the bat. He understood powders like no one I've ever met, single base, double base, % of nitro in such & such powder, graphite coated ball, extruded, short cut, etc. I was asking him about a RCBS powder measure & how it "crunched" on 3031...he said don't worry about the crunch, you'll never noticed it on the target. Later on he invited Lisa, (my girlfriend) & me over to visit. He & Pat entertained us for a couple hours, Lisa & Pat talking about flowers & plants, Felix & me talking boolits, riding motorcycles, jobs and he showing me around the house. He & Pat are most hospitable. He told me a story about toothpaste and how back when the tubed paste 1st came out a fellow could tell the manufacturer how to double the sales of the product. The answer was extremely simple and right in front of their face, but they didn't think of it until he told them to make the hole bigger. He also told how to make the best, award winning chilli, again the answer is simple. We talked about a lot of different things, Felix was a well rounded fellow. I feel like a lot of other members on the board, words can't describe. My dad died about a year ago and I watched his health dwindle over a period of about a year. I saw a lot of the same signs when I/We had a chance to visit with Felix. I think the shooting community and mankind in general has lost a great man. He has definitely made an impact on a lot of peoples lives.

Ajax
04-26-2014, 05:18 AM
"He also told how to make the best, award winning chilli, again the answer is simple."

Please post Felix's recipe so those of us who love chili can make it and have a bowl with Felix.

Andy

HollandNut
04-26-2014, 07:19 AM
I think he just told us the recipe

Keep it simple !! Don't over engineer it ..

Hickok
04-26-2014, 09:32 AM
You all gave a fitting eulogy to Felix. Thank you all for the enlightenment into this man's life and accomplishments.

Felix, gone to be with the Lord!

rockrat
04-26-2014, 10:21 AM
Would love to have been in on the conversation at Braums. Having a face-to-face conversation with Mr. Robbins(Felix) would have been quite a special occasion and quite enlightening

utk
04-30-2014, 04:35 AM
Felix M. Robbins

http://www.castpics.net/CastAndCrew/images/Felix.jpg

sthwestvictoria
04-30-2014, 08:09 AM
I liked this bit of Felix wisdom from a thread about Throat diameter versus Groove diameter:

For the most exacting group of projectiles, we must have zero clearance of the projectiles against the gun walls containing the projectile as the projectiles travel through the entire gun. There are no exceptions to this rule. Any time the projectiles are mashed beyond their absolute concentric return point, or not mashed into such conformity during their ignition stage, spells trouble of some sort and must be fixed. Yes, the rule is that simple, but the making of such thing(s) to happen day in and day out is the pure magic portion of this sport. ... felix

Estalio
05-15-2014, 10:59 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?241905-The-Life-Of-The-Goolden-Boolit-and-master-of-Lube-Felix

Three44s
05-23-2014, 09:04 PM
Thank you utk for posting Felix's picture.

It is said that a picture is worth ....... well, you know ............

And that picture is right up there!

I never conversed with Felix but only read his thoughtful posts. I gained a lot ....... and for me ... that's going some!

I am saddened that he lost two sons before him but from all I can tell, if those boys fell close to the proberbial apple tree ......

........ we can rest assured they, father and his boys are all sharing time in a good place!

These days, everytime I look at the stars, I think they look a little brighter each time ...... it seems I hear of more and more great people leaving our midst and I feel that their talents are not being wasted ......... they are simply being put to work in that better place ..... and it's being revealed in those brighter stars.

RIP Felix ....... we have lost a great one from our midst here ........ but he has his boys back.

Best regards

Three 44s

sundog
05-23-2014, 09:38 PM
Felix and I had visits and 'projects' together. Phone calls were not a 5 minute, "how ya doing" event either. I'll miss that. What a great friend. And Pat, bless her heart, has got to be one of the kindest people I have ever met (and smart, too!). Nickolas and I talked recently, and we are going to shoot together soon.

Felix's brother passed away several years ago, and Felix showed up at my house one day with a bag of acorns and hickory nuts. He said his brothers wish was for his trees to be scattered around. Well, by golly, I have several nice trees, a shagbark hickory down below my lateral lines and a beautiful oak behind the barn on my shooting range, and several others. When I walk my dogs or out doing my chores and pass one, I think about Felix and his brother. I suppose it would be good to take a couple pictures to post here. Maybe this weekend...

Shuz
05-24-2014, 09:59 AM
Corky--Felix and I also had a few "projects" together. Back on the old "Shooter's" board we got to discussing the effects of different primers with H-110 and 2400 in the .44 mag. I agreed to do the testing, and when I couldn't find Federal LP primers anywhere I shopped in the Pacific Northwest, good old Felix managed to see that I got some!

When WFFL was in it's infancy, I complained that I don't like to get my hands stickey playing with that stuff and we "worked out a deal" where I sent Felix my home made elk or deer or moose jerky and he'd send me WFFL in exchange.

Whatta guy!

leeggen
03-15-2015, 03:21 AM
Has anyone thought about Felix lately? I don't know why but he has been on my mine for the last couple weeks.I was trying to remember the lenght for barrels (21 3/4 in). Had to go back here and find out. Alwas like his idea about not calling our guns weapons. Makes them sound like a war time peice to me. Just wonder if he was behind the snow and cold we had, just to make each one of us to appreciate the spring and summer more.
Felix we miss you in a lot of different ways.
Has anyone heard how his family is doing?
CD

lbaize3
03-15-2015, 03:40 PM
The thing I remember best about Félix is the thought and gentleness he put into his posts on this forum. He was like the older loving grandfather helping his grandkids. I took everything he said as gospel, simply because of the manner in which he put it. We are a much poorer group without him.

Bad Water Bill
03-15-2015, 03:43 PM
Girty said I should comment on one of Corky and Felix's projects posted here that we will never forget.

Yes the many photos and story of the two of them smelting many many pounds of lead into some great ingots.

Perhaps someone can find that great story and bring it back so that newer members can see and enjoy what two great members here did in one day.

Char-Gar
03-15-2015, 05:34 PM
It is good to remember old times and old friends.

Fishman
03-15-2015, 06:16 PM
One can always get a dose of Felix's wisdom with some topic searches here on Castboolits.

BD
03-15-2015, 06:34 PM
It's very reassuring for me to remember Felix, and our correspondence as a result of meeting on the old Shooter's board. It helps me to remain grounded in the origins of our discussions relative to the sometimes acrimonious continuation of those same discussions that occurs around here these days. It started with lube, (Where to get Lanolin? (that may have generated the original "group buy"), and progressed to boolit design/throat/accuracy relative to 1911s, (which led to some changes to the BDacp design along the way, and influences my work with .450B design currently). I never had the pleasure of meeting Felix face to face, but I corresponded with him off and on for nearly 20 years. I have about 30 pages of notes from him that form part of the reference base for my most enduring hobby. As he got older I believe it became more difficult for newcomers to understand what he was saying as he assumed that everyone listening in had been party to the first ten years of the discussion, and he generally cut right to the chase. That could be tough going for someone who just found this board that day, and hadn't spent anytime with the search function. I think the quote below pretty well sums up our relationship:

"I think his intelegence, ballanced perfectly by his humility was why I loved him so much. It's just such a rare thing, and shows that he was not trying to be better than me, he just was better than me, and wanted to help me to better myself."

BD