PDA

View Full Version : Free Boolit Puller

cr2
04-24-2014, 10:23 AM
Others have probably already thought of this, but I'm new to this addiction and haven't seen it here. For a free boolit puller: just drill a hole into the edge of a board. The hole should be slightly larger than the diameter of the boolit and an inch or so longer. Put your boolit in its shell holder and place it upside down into the hole. Put duct tape over the shell holder and give the board a good whack against something solid. The boolit and powder will pop out into the hole.

dudel
04-24-2014, 11:06 AM
Sounds like it should work. Hard wood would be better than soft pine. OTH, an impact hammer is less expensive in the long run, and easier to use and store.

Tatume
04-24-2014, 03:09 PM
People have been doing this for decades (or longer). Hardwood is necessary for the tool to last more than a few uses. Cartridges will push all the way through softwood (I've done it). It's hard to keep powder this way. For $15 the tool at Midway retains the powder, which can quickly add to the cost of the tool.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/215517/frankford-arsenal-impact-bullet-puller?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Take care, Tom

cr2
04-24-2014, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the link. I've seen those and thought free is better than 15 bucks. I'll keep using my free board because it does keep the powder, and I've always got scrap hardwood laying around.

dromia
04-25-2014, 02:35 AM
Put your boolit in its shell holder

How does that work?

rhead
04-25-2014, 05:18 AM
I have used them before. they work fine when you only have a few and do not want to wait until the next time you are near a place that will sell one. that would be a two hundred mile plus drive for me. the wooden ones have a limited life span. Unless you want to salvage the projectile a pair of vice grips and your press is quicker.

Blammer
04-25-2014, 07:36 AM
with a wood board, you can drill about 10 holes and pull 10 bullets at once. :)

Trinidad Bill
04-25-2014, 08:57 AM
A picture is worth 1000 words... picture please.

bangerjim
04-25-2014, 10:25 AM
People have been doing this for decades (or longer). Hardwood is necessary for the tool to last more than a few uses. Cartridges will push all the way through softwood (I've done it). It's hard to keep powder this way. For $15 the tool at Midway retains the powder, which can quickly add to the cost of the tool.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/215517/frankford-arsenal-impact-bullet-puller?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Take care, Tom

These commercial inertia hammer-style pullers are great! I bought one locally for $17 and figured I would never need it. WRONG. I have used it many times, has never broke, is fast (2-3 whacks), and makes pulling and salvage of all components very clean and easy.

Best $17 I ever spent!

bangerjim

cr2
04-25-2014, 11:56 AM
A picture is worth 1000 words... picture please.

The board works exactly like the commercial puller. It uses the shell holder off my Lee turret press to hold the boolit. I don't use it a lot, so wearing out the board won't be an issue. This one is about 18" long.103182103183103184

dondiego
04-25-2014, 12:05 PM
That looks like it would work just fine. The picture tells me everything. If my current kinetic puller ever breaks I will be using one of these. TY

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-25-2014, 12:06 PM
EXCELLENT, NOW I GET IT :)
From the OP, I was picturing something totally different and couldn't image it'd work.

Next up could be to modify it a bit. Maybe a actual round handle fitted for the fist and about 10 holes as blammer says.

cr2
04-25-2014, 12:14 PM
EXCELLENT, NOW I GET IT :)
From the OP, I was picturing something totally different and couldn't image it'd work.

Next up could be to modify it a bit. Maybe a actual round handle fitted for the fist and about 10 holes as blammer says.

Yeah, it would be easy to make one using different sizes of brass rod for the head and handle. I've got a pretty complete machine shop in my loading room and thought about making one, but I was in a hurry.:)

dromia
04-25-2014, 12:29 PM
So its the case you put in the shellholder not, like you said, the boolit, makes sense now.

cr2
04-25-2014, 01:18 PM
So its the case you put in the shellholder not, like you said, the boolit, makes sense now.

Oh sorry...like I said, I'm new here and new to reloading. Everything I know about it I've learned from this site. Just trying to give something back if I can.

Smoke4320
04-25-2014, 01:26 PM
cr2
thanks for the idea ..
kinetic pullers do break sometimes
if ever in a pinch to pull bullets this is something to fall back on

dsbock
04-25-2014, 01:41 PM
While I have a kinetic bullet puller, I'm keeping this idea in mind in case of need.

Thanks for sharing.

David

a.squibload
04-25-2014, 02:57 PM
I like it, cheap and easy.
Could shape the other end like a handle.
When the hole wears out just cut the end off and drill another one.

Here's another DIY puller.
If your cartridge doesn't stick up through the hole in the press,
cut a piece of conduit to fit the ram.
Ruins boolits though...

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Z2TOPOXuiq0/U1qu2CMWp-I/AAAAAAAAAxE/35gOweyEvzA/w614-h461-no/puller+adapter.JPG