PDA

View Full Version : Advice from my boolit friends...

KYShooter73
04-23-2014, 11:01 PM
I'm running for Circuit Court Family Judge here in my area. I had to write a "Meet the Candidate" article for the local paper. This is my first campaign. If you don't mind, tell me what you think.

My name is Matthew B. DeHart and I would like to personally ask for your vote in the November 2014 General Election for the office of Family Court Judge for the 57th Judicial Circuit which includes Russell and Wayne Counties.

Family Court is a relatively new system for Kentucky. When I began practicing family law fifteen years ago, cases involving families and children were bounced between the Circuit Judge, District Judge, and Domestic Relations Commissioner. Often, one case would be on three court dockets, causing confusion, conflicting decisions between judges, and malicious legal tactics. We now have Family Court, which simply means One Family, One Judge.

The family court division of the Circuit Court has jurisdiction in cases involving dissolution of marriage (divorce), child custody, visitation, maintenance and support (alimony and child support), equitable distribution of property in divorce cases; adoption, and termination of parental rights. The family court division of Circuit Court also has jurisdiction involving cases of domestic violence and abuse, paternity, dependency, child abuse and neglect, and juvenile status offenses (truancy and children beyond control of parents).

The most difficult paragraph to write is the one about myself. In my work, I am accustomed to writing for other people. My father is Hollis DeHart and mother is Jane DeHart. Both were born in Russell County and are retired educators. My father has also served on the Russell Springs City Council and two terms as Mayor of Russell Springs. Both are active in the Bethlehem Separate Baptist Church where I am also a member. Encouraged by my parents, I got my first real job when I was 13 years old working for Coffey's Garden Center. After I got my drivers license, I went to work for Bennett's Carpets. I worked for four summer seasons at Lake Cumberland State Dock during high school and college. I graduated Eastern Kentucky University with a Bachelor of Arts degree and double major in 1995. The same year I was married to Lana McBeath DeHart, the daughter of Garnett (Cotton) McBeath and Verlene McBeath of the Eli Community. We then moved to Louisville, Kentucky where I attended Law School, worked for Humana, and as a clerk for a Louisville law firm for two years. I graduated from the University of Louisville Brandeis School of Law with a Juris Doctor degree and was certified to Practice Law by the Kentucky Supreme Court in 1998. I moved back to Russell County and have been in private practice for the last 15 years. My wife and I have been blessed by two sons, Evan who is 13 and attends Russell County Middle School, and Nathan who is 11 and attends Russell Springs Elementary.

Judicial Candidates are limited by law against commenting on specific cases or saying things that could be considered as rendering judgment on a case before the evidence has been presented. I will say this:

**THE CARE AND EDUCATION OF OUR CHILDREN IS MY PRIORITY

**I WILL NOT TOLERATE FAMILY VIOLENCE

**I WILL NOT ALLOW A CHILDS EDUCATION TO BE NEGLECTED

Divorce issues are usually simple. A judge with ample experience in the various aspects of law can make a reasonable division of property. A child's welfare is a much more complex issue. Children have basic needs which we must provide. Children also need Love and Encouragement. Never tell a child that they cannot accomplish a goal. A child who believes they can accomplish a dream....can accomplish their dream.

This is the first time that I have ever asked the people to elect me to public office. To qualify as a Circuit Judge, a candidate must have been licensed to practice law for eight years. I have worked with people face to face for fifteen years. Mailing an order cannot compare with that experience. I understand the negotiations that take place behind closed doors. I have shared my clients joys and and fears. I have had to look them in the eye and tell them the good news and the bad. Compassion is not a word often associated with "Family Court." I want to provide help, support, and compassion to any family in need. Lawyers and clients alike dread walking into a courtroom wondering what a judge's "mood" might be on that day. I will not allow my personal mood or temper to effect my decisions and will treat all people with the respect deserved. I hope my experience will give me the wisdom to make the correct decisions and send our children toward a bright future.

This is my home, this is my community, and this is where myself and my wife choose to raise our family. I am not the type person to insulate myself behind locked doors and court security. If anyone would like to speak to me my telephone number is (270)343-6300. I ask for your vote for Family Court Judge in the November general election.

MaryB
04-24-2014, 03:23 AM
Common Core isn't an education unfortunately...

Ajax
04-24-2014, 05:52 AM
It looks good to me Matt.

Andy

6bg6ga
04-24-2014, 06:38 AM
It looks good But I will suggest several changes.

You have been working since the age of 13 and are not afraid of hard work. People don't necessarily want a work history and it bores them.

I would remove the three comments "The care and education, I will not tolerate, and I will not allow

Instead I would mention something along the lines that you will work to uphold the basic family core values. The education and safety of your family is my upmost concern and I will do my best to uphold the laws of the state and the well being of those that come before me.

Just a thought...

Char-Gar
04-24-2014, 10:19 AM
I thought it is pretty darn good. I would remove the references to a specific church and replace it with. "My parents and my family are active members of the same local church.". Now let me tell you why...

I have no issues with Baptists, but some people do, so why raise that red flag? Folks will stereotype you and your possible rulings from the bench on that one point alone. They want somebody who lives a faith based life, but no need to get specific about which denomination and congregation.

I will also add that folks want judges that will "follow" the law and not "make" the law. Judicial overreach is just as bad as Presidential overreach.

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-24-2014, 11:20 AM
you!:mrgreen:

KYShooter73
04-24-2014, 08:04 PM
Thanks so much for the advice. I have to cut it to 500 words so those changes shouldn't be any problem.

MT Gianni
04-24-2014, 08:28 PM
Judicial Candidates are limited by law against commenting on specific cases or saying things that could be considered as rendering judgment on a case before the evidence has been presented. I will say this:

**THE CARE AND EDUCATION OF OUR CHILDREN IS MY PRIORITY

**I WILL NOT TOLERATE FAMILY VIOLENCE

**I WILL NOT ALLOW A CHILDS EDUCATION TO BE NEGLECTED

I would replace these with something along the lines of remaining fair in all cases and deciding them on an individual basis. I will put a priority on childrens care, education and safety at all times. I would vote for you with that platform