PDA

View Full Version : A slight modification of the melting pot above

Ken O
09-08-2005, 07:34 PM
I made the pot from the plans on the sticky thread at the top of this fourm. I used a stainless steel stock pot I got from the dollar store, I got a real good seal in the bottom valve, it would hold water without leaking. The problem I had was when the stainless heats up, the bottom would warp and move around quite a bit leaking a lot. What I did was cut two small pieces of conduit and weld them to the lift arm and the valve rod top. This made sort of like a universal joint for the valve. Now the bottom moves around and the rod always finds and makes the seal. I have used this for a few months, and my neighbor borrowed it also without any problems. Here is a pic:
http://my.core.com/~kenelz/smeltpot.JPG

kenjuudo
09-08-2005, 08:06 PM
Ken O, Great solution for using a thin pot! I finally got around to makeing enough ingot molds out of angle iron that it is a two person operation around here. Amazing how fast the job goes now.

jim

Buckshot
09-11-2005, 03:57 AM
..........Ken O, good thinking! A fine job to both Ken's too! Lessee, it's getting up into Sept. It's almost wintertime up in Michigan, isn't it? :D

Nothing like huddeling around the ole lead smelting pot on a brisk afternoon.

..............Buckshot