PDA

View Full Version : Shooting on a budget: casting bullets for a machinegun

Pyrex
04-23-2014, 02:17 PM
It has long been a goal of mine to find a way to shoot full auto for a reasonable price. I have .22 machine guns, however as you might have guessed finding .22 in those quantities as of late is extremely difficult and no longer a viable option. So, I decided whichever caliber I chose needed to be one that had several molds available for, was relatively low velocity at full power to reduce leading and cost (gas checks=nope), and brass was in easy supply. After looking over the options .45 ACP seemed to make the most sense. I have fired many blowback .45 and 9mm sub guns and have never been a fan of them while suppressed. Typically they have excessive port blast/particulate and run quite a bit louder than a closed bolt gas or delayed roller blowback action. I decided I would be doing a gas operated upper for my M16. Quieter suppressed operation, less particulate in my face, and most importantly a slower (adjustable) cyclic rate without increasing bolt mass.

My standard pinking budget load for .45 has always been 5.0gr of Bullseye behind a 230gr LRN. Bullseye runs a little sooty, but always burns completely at that charge. My biggest enemy is going to be leading in the gas system. Of course the first and most important goal is to keep cost down, so I intend to work my way up the loads starting with the cheapest/easiest method possible until I arrive at one that is sufficient.

My first load is a standard 230gr LRN cast from wheel weights, quenched, resized to .452" tumble lubed with LLA, and then allowed to sit for about 4 months. I slugged the barrel and .452" will be the appropriate diameter.

The upper is an RMW Xtreme .45 DI upper 10.5". The cylic rate is a nice slow controllable 850rpm. I have to make my own magazines to fit in an M16 mag well, which I did by drilling the spot welds off the collar on a grease gun magazine and then peeling them off. Using a press I took 0.10" off the width that fits into the mag well, which is just enough to allow clearance, but not enough to smash the follower in the mag body. Then I just had to set the mag feed height and cut a mag catch slot.

I took the gun out for the first time yesterday with a .50 cal can full of LRN. At first I tried some hollow points but it was having non of that. This is going to be hardballer only (which is perfectly fine with me). Once I switched to my cast rounds it started running much better. After fiddling with the mag block and measuring a few things it started to run pretty good. I ran about 200-300 rounds through the gun.

Below is a video of me shooting a 20rd burst through the gun. You can see a pretty substantial cloud of smoke from the cast bullets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USlk1n-ma8Y

After that burst I was unable to get it to cycle more than 3-4 rounds at a time, and then it locked up completely, I was unable to get it out of battery. Finally I broke it free and then pushed it back into lock and it seized up again (silly me). At first I thought it was the lugs full of junk, but they really didn't look that bad. Once I tore down the BCG I realized what the problem was.

http://i.imgur.com/1oXlZek.jpg?2
http://i.imgur.com/0Uv0wGt.jpg?2
http://i.imgur.com/YJL7cva.jpg?1

The leading was biblical. More so than I have ever seen before. I can't say it's unexpected, but this level of leading was surprising. You can see the rings on the bolt are completely welded together, they would not uncompress at all. The gas ports on the carrier were not that bad, but the bolt channel was dirty. After a pretty extensive cleaning session (completely tore down the whole gun and cleaned every part of the gas system. I can safely say that load is not going to be the one.

http://i.imgur.com/4RIFQ4s.jpg?3

The bore was leaded, but not what I would consider terrible. This isn't a standard pistol, it is a machinegun, so lead is going to collect at higher rates. I let the barrel cool between mags, roughly about 3-4 minutes as to not further exacerbate the leading problem.

So, after the first round of tests I've learned a few things. One thing is I don't want to spend another 2 hours cleaning this upper. I do have some 230gr LRN ran on a master caster with some red carnuba lube which I can try next. If anyone had some suggestions I would really like to hear them. It had been mentioned I should try to run a standard jacketed bullet every 5 round, however I don't think that's going to solve the gas leading problem, that would help the bore for sure. But I'm getting the feeling that maybe trying some Hi-Tek coating may be the best solution to this problem. I believe that will be the next round I work up as a test.

Love Life
04-23-2014, 02:23 PM
Call Xtreme Bullets.

Jupiter7
04-23-2014, 02:29 PM
Hi-tek would be my first suggestion. Dropping the load down a tad assuming function. .223 is dirty in a DI gun, probably more so than .45. And they run fine. I'd also run bolt wet and look at one piece gas ring. I have done the same with a short barrel AR and cast, sizing was my issue. I learned quickly that cleaning the gun ASAP every session and limiting myself to 200 rounds kept maintenance easy. Best of luck.

Pyrex
04-23-2014, 02:43 PM
Has anyone in here run hi-tek coating on a machinegun? I plan on picking some up and starting that as my next project. I think I might buy some bayou bullets as a test first just to see how it does.

Tatume
04-23-2014, 04:03 PM
I'm glad I wasn't in the woods or on the power line right of way when all those boolits came raining down.

Smoke4320
04-23-2014, 04:19 PM
I run the exact same load in a Kriss Super V FA with one exception .. my bullets are powdercoated
33 rd mag at a time and cool about 1 to 2 minutes and run another one .. so far no issues at all .. even the suppressor is relatively clean
Hi tek will probably do just as well

Pyrex
04-23-2014, 04:43 PM
I'm glad I wasn't in the woods or on the power line right of way when all those boolits came raining down.

You wouldn't be in those woods since it's on private property, and those power lines are mi away. I appreciate your concern, there's always one guy.

Pyrex
04-23-2014, 04:48 PM
I run the exact same load in a Kriss Super V FA with one exception .. my bullets are powdercoated
33 rd mag at a time and cool about 1 to 2 minutes and run another one .. so far no issues at all .. even the suppressor is relatively clean
Hi tek will probably do just as well

Well if you're running those through a Kriss @ 1200rpm and you're not getting leading it seems pretty obvious that's a solution.

tomme boy
04-23-2014, 07:43 PM
Try it again. The gas port may just have a burr on it. But this time run a few mags of jacketed first. Every gas port has a burr right at first. I bet it will clean up after that. That is where the lead is coming from. If you can get some of the Russian stuff the better. It has a much harder jacket than the American made ammo.

tomme boy
04-23-2014, 07:44 PM
That and double lube the alox after sizing. I never could get it to work unless I did that.

Pyrex
04-23-2014, 09:30 PM
Try it again. The gas port may just have a burr on it. But this time run a few mags of jacketed first. Every gas port has a burr right at first. I bet it will clean up after that. That is where the lead is coming from. If you can get some of the Russian stuff the better. It has a much harder jacket than the American made ammo.

The barrel had about 1000 rds down the pipe before I got ahold of it, hopefully a burr was taken out by now, I would assume it has. I think russian ammo is copper plated steel jackets, arent they? I know the rifle bullets are.

That and double lube the alox after sizing. I never could get it to work unless I did that.

I did double lube it after resizing. I think I need to slug the barrel again and make sure I didn't screw up my readings. Something doesn't seem right.

tomme boy
04-24-2014, 07:16 PM
Well the bore does have lead in it. I also see that the barrel extension has a lip on each feed ramp. Do you know if RMW put it together? It should be more smooth than that. Mad Machinist is the one that put it together right? I would call him and see what he has to say. I would also try the CR lubed bullets before doing anything else. Just make sure to get all of the lead out of the bore before doing another test. Use a copper chore boy wrapped around a old brush. Put some Kroil in the bore and let it sit over night before scrubbing it out. It will creep under the lead and will come out real easy.

I had a heck of a time with Alox. Some can make it work, others can't

Pyrex
04-24-2014, 10:18 PM
Well the bore does have lead in it. I also see that the barrel extension has a lip on each feed ramp. Do you know if RMW put it together? It should be more smooth than that. Mad Machinist is the one that put it together right? I would call him and see what he has to say. I would also try the CR lubed bullets before doing anything else. Just make sure to get all of the lead out of the bore before doing another test. Use a copper chore boy wrapped around a old brush. Put some Kroil in the bore and let it sit over night before scrubbing it out. It will creep under the lead and will come out real easy.

I had a heck of a time with Alox. Some can make it work, others can't

Yes it was Ron William's upper. It's smoother than it looks, just really dirty.

fastfire
04-25-2014, 01:21 AM
Cover the lead up, powder coat or HI-Tec =no leading.

Moonman
04-25-2014, 01:43 AM
HI-TEK coated projectiles or Powder Coated ones may be your answer.

freebullet
04-25-2014, 02:33 AM
A local guy hasn't had any luck running hitek through his semi auto 45(it worked in his 9) so that may not be a solution. I don't know the particulars so maybe it will. With the heat a fa creates I don't know if the coatings would help. I will tell you from personal experience I would rather remove leading than failed coating for certain.

I've done an endurance test with a semi auto ak. We lubed up the gun good with Mobil 1 5w30. We ran 600 rounds through it as fast as possible including a 75rnd drum. We had NO leading. The boolit lube was alox@50%, beeswax@25%,& carnuba@25% using the lee155-312. They were pushed by 18gr of imr 4227 for around 1800fps. They wore hornady copper diapers. Clean shiny bore and no leading on anything.

My suggestions would be- to use homemade plain based gas checks(they are cheap & you could made them too), oil the gun more than normal, & go bananas shooting while not dealing with cleaning all that crud from the gun.

It would take less time to install cheap aluminum pb checks than it did to clean the gas system. It would still be cheaper than even using plated.

Good luck, let us know what you try next.

Moonman
04-25-2014, 07:09 AM
Freebullet,

HI-TEK works in my 45, some people have issues with directions.

Depending upon how he baked, 9 MM weighs less than 45 slugs,

therefore will require and work with LESSER BAKING TIMES.

Maybe his cooking time was NOT UP SNUFF with heavier weight baking loads.

You have to experiment, follow Acetone Wipe Test, and Hammer Smash Tests.

Garyshome
04-25-2014, 07:23 AM
Machine gun ammo budget? You are kidding right?

David2011
04-25-2014, 03:50 PM
"Budget" is relative. Then again, if I bought anything Class III I would be trying to find ways to economize elsewhere as well.

David

Pyrex
04-25-2014, 09:46 PM
"Budget" is relative. Then again, if I bought anything Class III I would be trying to find ways to economize elsewhere as well.

David

Exactly :) I'd rather put my money towards other machineguns, rather than feeding them. Minimize expenditures.

Shiloh
04-26-2014, 09:45 PM
Biblical leading!
I like it!!

Shiloh