PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! want a new gun. What one?

Bullshop Junior
01-05-2008, 02:16 AM
OK, I have the winter gun fever I get every year and want to get a new gun. I can not decide which one to start saving for. I know I need something new, because what I have right now are a bolt action 22 and a single shot 12 GA. The ones that I am looking at are the-
Ruger single six convertible
Ruger mark 1-2 5.5 bull barrel
Ruger #1 375 H&H
Savage 116 weather warrior 375 H&H
Marlin 1895 45/70
Now what one do I get???
All votes help.
Thanks
Daniel/BS Jr.

45nut
01-05-2008, 03:00 AM
without any bias at all I would vote for the lone 45 cal in that list.

Jon K
01-05-2008, 04:28 AM
Marlin 1895 CB Hands Down Winner-No Contest!!!!!!

Jon

EMC45
01-05-2008, 07:22 AM
1895 Marlin

jim4065
01-05-2008, 02:57 PM
I know that it makes me a traitor, but I gotta go with the Mark I or II. Handgun proficiency takes a long time so it's best to get a 22 early and shoot it a lot. I'd go with the automatic over the revolver because automatics make the initial stages simpler; meaning that it's easier to focus on front sight and trigger squeeze when you're not having to manually cock the hammer between shots. I always recommend .22's - they simply can't be beat for inexpensive yet accurate shooting practise. Naturally you'll want a larger caliber soon, but a good .22 will be useful for the rest of your life.

Jack Stanley
01-05-2008, 09:07 PM
It took me a long time to find the Marlin 45/70 that I was looking for . Now that I have had it for some time I couldn't imagine being without it . I wholeheartedly encourage you to the big bore .

Jack

Crash_Corrigan
01-07-2008, 03:48 AM
Outstanding calibre for what walks around in your neighborhood. You can load cast and be accurate out to where the game is.

I have a Ruger Mark III 6" bbl and it is a very boring gun. Accurate to a fault and totally predictable. Boring.

I had a Ruger Single Six also. Boring. Keeps on putting the bollit where I wanted it to go. Very predictable. Boring.

S.R.Custom
01-07-2008, 04:08 AM
How about a 1911 with an accuracy and/or reliability problem. That'll keep you busy for a while. [smilie=1:

Ghugly
01-07-2008, 06:22 AM
How about a 1911 with an accuracy and/or reliability problem. That'll keep you busy for a while. [smilie=1:

:drinks: You've got that right! I've got one that's turning out to be a career.

Lloyd Smale
01-07-2008, 06:36 AM
everyone needs a .22 pistol. If you dont have one of them it would be at the top of my list.

Bullshop Junior
01-08-2008, 02:33 AM

That one is not on my list[smilie=1:. But I do want a 1911[smilie=1:, or a sig P220:Fire: OR OR OR OR!!![smilie=1:
I just bid on a Ruger MK 1 over at Auction arms. Lets see if I get it.
http://www.sportsmanssupplyco.com/bear003.gif
Daniel/BS Jr.

jim4065
01-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Hope you win. My first .22 pistol was a 6 7/8" Ruger Standard Target model. Wish I had it back.

Poygan
01-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Daniel,

I think you need a good .22 and I would be more inclined to the Ruger .22 auto. I have an older Mark I bull barrel with some Jim Clark modifications and it has always shot better than I am capable of.

Wayne Smith
01-08-2008, 01:07 PM
Mk I, eh? I'm sure you have access to many of your dad's guns, so fill in what he doesn't have at this point. When you get out on your own start adding those of his that you used most!

Bullshop Junior
01-09-2008, 12:48 AM
I did not get the ruger MK 1. I got out bid.
I am getting ready to start shooting Dad's Ruger #1 375 tomorrow, and then his 45/70.
Daniel/BS JR.

jim4065
01-09-2008, 01:50 AM
Happens all the time. There are lots more where that one came from. If you keep shopping you'll find what you want at a price that you can afford.

Bullshop Junior
01-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Mk I, eh? I'm sure you have access to many of your dad's guns, so fill in what he doesn't have at this point. When you get out on your own start adding those of his that you used most!

Hey I like you!! Your a good guy! I will be doing that. Dad has a Remington 700 375 JRS premium safari that I can use, and a 45/70 and just got a ruger single-six. so I am going after the ruger MK 1-2. I just bid on another one. Let's see about this one.
Daniel/BS Jr.

Ghugly
01-10-2008, 10:49 PM
I know it's not on your list. One of my first pistols was a Ruger Blackhawk in .357. It had the 9mm conversion cylinder (I used it once, I think). It was one of the most useful guns I've ever had. Plinking with .38 wadcutters was a joy and full house .357's were a real kick. Easy to shoot and amazingly accurate too. It was the gun that caused me to start reloading, and it seemed to shoot well with whatever I chose to feed it.

Bullshop Junior
01-11-2008, 03:36 PM
I know it's not on your list. One of my first pistols was a Ruger Blackhawk in .357. It had the 9mm conversion cylinder (I used it once, I think). It was one of the most useful guns I've ever had. Plinking with .38 wadcutters was a joy and full house .357's were a real kick. Easy to shoot and amazingly accurate too. It was the gun that caused me to start reloading, and it seemed to shoot well with whatever I chose to feed it.

Dad has one of those too! I use it quite a bit. Shot a squirrel with it the other day. That was fun. I was able to save the hide.
Daniel/BS Jr.

RugerFan
01-11-2008, 04:09 PM
Considering you live in Alaska, I would say the .375 H&H. That would certainly handle your big game needs. As much as I love Rugers, the Weather Warrior might be a more appropriate choice up there. 2nd choice would be the Mark II. When I lived in Fairbanks, I yearned for a Mark II to use when running my bear baits with my 3 wheeler. It would definitely come in handy for small game in a variety of circumstances in the last frontier.

slughammer
01-11-2008, 06:12 PM
S&W K22

I know it's not on your list, but the only way to learn a skill such as double action shooting is with a good double action. They can be both deadly accurate and fast and fun.

My first pistols were a single six and a Mark I, truth be told I would have been better served with a K-22, 17, 18 or 617. I do have a 6" 617, and there are 10's of thousands of rounds that have gone down her barrel, but she is a bit heavier than need be.

The pick of the litter in my mind would be the 4" model 18 (I'm still looking for one of those).

Bullshop Junior
01-11-2008, 10:55 PM
Can't afford it, and I don't really like Smith and Wesson pistols. Mom has a J-frame that I use some times. It's all right but I think that I would like the Ruger better.
Daniel/BS Jr.

slughammer
01-12-2008, 12:01 AM
Don't let a J frame sour your opinion of S&W revolvers. I have a 63 Kit Gun and any K frame is 3x the gun. My 63 is not accurate enough at 25 yards to reliably fill the small game pot. But I keep it around because I have a 7 and 4 year old and it is light enough for them to be learning on.

You can't go wrong with those Rugers either, I consider my Mark I a good choice for a kit gun. And the single six has provided hours of enjoyment (plus a rabbit or two).

Four Fingers of Death
01-13-2008, 06:42 AM
Heck, I wouldn't get a 45/70, your pappy has a nice shiny Marlin, just use that :)

375s are nice, but seeing you are a bit light on equipment, I'd go for a 30-06 or something like that and sponge offa pappy for the big stuff until you get set up proper. :)

Bullshop Junior
01-13-2008, 01:35 PM
Heck, I wouldn't get a 45/70, your pappy has a nice shiny Marlin, just use that :)

375s are nice, but seeing you are a bit light on equipment, I'd go for a 30-06 or something like that and sponge offa pappy for the big stuff until you get set up proper. :)

I had a 30/06. Not big enough. I am planing on shooting dads 375 JRS today. Tell you guys how I like it. Am going to start with lighter loads and work up to see what I can take. I have shot dads "marlin only" loads in 45/70, not bad. I want the 375 because it will have more range for caribou.
Daniel/BS Jr.

Four Fingers of Death
01-15-2008, 05:52 AM
Always wanted a 375, the new Ruger 375 looks gooddddddddddddddddddd!

SPRINGFIELDM141972
01-15-2008, 10:46 AM
Never thought I'd hear "had a 30-06, not big enough". It somehow hurts me deep inside. :sad:

I wish you the best of luck with your search.

Everett

shotstring
01-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Nice choices. Had a Ruger #1 in 375 but sold it and have been depressed about it ever since. I have a #1 in 458 now, but don't like it near as well as I did the 375. Also, tried to find a good reliable 22 that was easy to shoot and easy to take down and clean. Ruled out the MkI and MkIIs, as I had 3 of them and all were a pain to take down and put back together. Oh, did I mention that they all jammed often enough for me to get good at spitting. Then tried High Standard Target autos. Jammed on occasion, but it was the need of a hammer to disassemble the pieces for takedown that really forced me to give them up. So I got a Smith K22 masterpiece. 2 of em. Light primer hits on both guns often enough to make them unreliable. So got a Colt Diamondback in 22. Same problem. So sold all of those. Then got 2 Ruger Super Single Sixes with the extra 22 mag cylinders. (one for each hand).[smilie=w: They both put the bullets exactly where they are aimed, I have NEVER had a light primer hit with either gun and takedown is a breeze. They don't jam. They function the same whether it is 110 degrees or 20 below (have hunted with them in both those conditions). What more can I say. I've had them for at least 15 years now and they won't go anywhere I don't go!

MT Gianni
01-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Never thought I'd hear "had a 30-06, not big enough". It somehow hurts me deep inside. :sad:

Everett

Remember "BS Junior" is 15 or 16 and lives next to a bison preserve in rural Alaska. He'll get over it but has to ride a few bronc's first. Gianni

Bullshop
01-15-2008, 06:38 PM
Gianni
He is 14, wont be 15 until August. He is now 6' 3" tall and squeeses into a size 13 shoe. Its gettin kinda scarry lookin up at him.
Hope dont nobody take offence from him. He is big but just a kid and changes his mind on this stuff faster than a humming bird can change direction.
BIC/BS

SPRINGFIELDM141972
01-15-2008, 07:17 PM
Bullshop - Please don't mis-understand my post. I was only joshing. I'm shore you have a fine lad on your hands and that, in your neck of the woods, the 30-06 could be considered a smallish round. Its great to see a young man that has something he wants and has sense enough to ask questions first. Does a heart good.

Kind Regards and Better Intentions,

Everett

P.S. BullshopJr - I hope you get as big a gun as you can hold onto and afford.

Dark Helmet
01-15-2008, 08:21 PM
Build you a 411 KDF, like it ,you will! All do, it will!

Bullshop
01-15-2008, 10:09 PM
Everett
No worries mate! I cant seem to keep up with him and at times he may say some goofy things. A chip off the old block he is ah!
Blessings
BIC/BS

Bullshop Junior
01-16-2008, 12:02 AM

Everett

I liked my 30/06 a lot..........until I got to see some 8*1/2*" bear tracks, and saw a nice grizzly, and then it just felt kind of small. I have been shooting dads 375 JRS and like it a lot.

Now I need to break every ones heart and tell them that my search is over, for now. Yesterday I got a CZ 52. I like it a lot. Shoots good enough to hit a pop can at 20 yard half the time, and I am not that good with a hand gun either. I am now looking at getting a new press. Looking at a lee classic turret.

Now I still need three things.
#1-all the loads and info I can get on the CZ 52
#2-some good brass
:twisted:#3-MORE AMMO PLEASE!!!!!!:Fire:
Daniel/BS Jr.

MtGun44
01-16-2008, 02:51 AM
I have a beautiful S&W17-3 6" that is lovely in every way, but my Ruger
Std 6" will outshoot it any old day.

Buy the Ruger auto and spend the time to be a crack shot with a pistol.
This gun will teach you everything that there is to know about pistol
shooting except recoil and muzzle blast, and you will learn better without
them. Cheap, accurate gun with cheap and accurate ammo.

Consider the short bull barreled 45/22 as it has the proper grip angle, never too
early to start learning about the inherent superiority of the 1911 design. [smilie=1:

Do yourself a favor. My Dad bought me one when I was 16 and over the
next 10 years I learned a lot from that gun. Still have it 40 yrs later and it will shoot
into 5/8" at 25yds with match ammo.

Bill

murph
01-16-2008, 03:08 AM
Does anyone know, or know where I can find information on the Ruger 96/44 lever action max chamber pressure? I have some loads that shoot fine in pistol but are showing maybe signs of over pressure in the rifle.

Bullshop Junior
01-16-2008, 10:58 PM
Does anyone know, or know where I can find information on the Ruger 96/44 lever action max chamber pressure? I have some loads that shoot fine in pistol but are showing maybe signs of over pressure in the rifle.

No thread Hi-jacking please!:mrgreen:
Daniel/BS Jr.

jim4065
01-17-2008, 12:49 AM
Bought a CZ52 a few years back - lots of fun, with one major failing. They will throw the spent cases way to Hell and gone. I found one 27 yards away, and that's just too far to be chasing brass. I have some good S & B ammo but all I shoot from the CZ52 is cheap mil-surp stuff. One of the beauties to that Ruger 22 Auto is that all you care about is the shot - you'll never be distracted looking for brass.

Wayne Smith
01-17-2008, 02:32 PM
I echo Jim, my 52 throws brass way off. On the other hand, a case of surplus ain't all that expensive. Berdan primed, so you only pick up those you can find an recycle.

Try shooting your Dad's 405. I'm not sure which one he has, but if it's the Ruger #1 you can load that close to the old British 450. It'll kill anything you have out there, but won't reach out and touch 300yds away accurately if you need that. I'm pushing your dad's 350gr bullet @2000fps out of a Winnie '95 and don't want to go much hotter than that in that rifle. In a Ruger I'd try pushing them faster, listen to your dad about how fast. Actually, with the pointed bullet Hornaday now has you might be able to reach out to 300yds.

Bullshop Junior
01-17-2008, 03:54 PM
dad has all the guns that where on my list he has 2 375's, a ruger and a Remington, he has the marlin, and with in the time that I posted my first post and now, has got both the ruger 22's.

Now on finding spent brass, that is easy for me. I just set a 55 gallon drum on its side and shoot prone with the side of the gun up to the drum. Catches all my brass, and with hot loads dents the drum.:mrgreen:
Daniel/BS Jr.

jim4065
01-18-2008, 02:41 PM
Can't imagine shooting prone anymore. And what - it's zero degrees there? The foibles of youth. :)

Bullshop Junior
01-19-2008, 02:01 AM
Can't imagine shooting prone anymore. And what - it's zero degrees there? The foibles of youth. :)

NAW! It is +2 and 1 foot of snow on the ground. PERFECT!!!
Daniel/BS Jr.
BTW- the drum also can sit on the tail gate of a pick up, and then you can shoot sitting on one knee.

kycrawler
01-19-2008, 02:58 PM
do some searching on 338 federal my kimber shoots great to 300 yards

jim4065
01-19-2008, 08:41 PM
If you're still looking for a press, I really think you can't go wrong with that Lee Classic Turret. I'm down to 4 presses now, and the Lee Classic Turret is the one I took inside for the winter. I've got about 14 different cartridges that I load on it, and it will do it all. If you do decide to get one, get a bunch of spare turrets so you can set up for a gun and keep those settings. Incidentally, Lee has spare 4 hole turret "seconds" on sale for $6.00 each - just bought a few because they'll sure be useful someday.

PatMarlin
01-20-2008, 12:10 AM
Ditto on the Lee Classic Turret.. :Fire:

Bullshop Junior
01-20-2008, 01:00 AM
Lee classic turret press is on the way. I think that it will be a great improvement over my old RCBS RS3. It is a real pain when I am doing one case at a time. Like when I was working on making 7.62X25 brass from 223s. Make one and try it, over and over and over until I got the stuff set, and now it is going to stay set, I hope.
Daniel/BS Jr.

PatMarlin
01-20-2008, 01:19 AM
Now mom and Dad can get ya a safety prime for it on your Birthday.

August? Leo kitty cat like me?... :mrgreen:

Bullshop Junior
01-20-2008, 11:28 PM
Now mom and Dad can get ya a safety prime for it on your Birthday.

August? Leo kitty cat like me?... :mrgreen:

Why? I have a lee auto prime, a RCBS ram prime, and dad has a 12lb sledge hammer.:mrgreen:
Daniel/BS Jr.

Three44s
01-21-2008, 01:57 AM
+1 Lee Classic Turret

....... jury is still out on making 7.62X25 from .223 ........ I got bogged down in fireforming such that the unsupported rear of the ex-223 case did not expand on just one side ........

A lot of repetitive movements in getting those babies jez right!

+1 on 7.62X25 though! Except for chasing the brass ....... my CZ52 tamed down somewhat with a Wolf extra power recoil spring. AND downloading helps too. With the heavier spring and backing down on horsepower you can just about drop them in yer pocket!

Three 44s

Four Fingers of Death
01-21-2008, 06:56 AM
"and dad has a 12lb sledge hammer"

Reminds me of that song, Clifton Clowers, " he had a heart like a nine pound hammer.

Three44s
01-21-2008, 11:33 AM
I must note that your experience with your mom's J-frame should bear no reflection on a K22.

The K22 and Ilk are TOPS!

Yes, they are bigger than they need to be for the "lowly" 22 LR ...... BUT that makes them a perfect training platform for bigger stuff.

My bias .... but you live in Alaska ........ that's the crown jewel of REVOLTER COUNTRY!

Them autos just don't impress the big nasty bitey scratchies!!!

Three 44s

baxter
01-25-2008, 02:50 AM
i wouldn't get any of those guns!!!