PDA

View Full Version : AR 62grn cast bullets UNIQUE load

mookiie
04-22-2014, 09:14 PM
I just tested some 62grn cast bulllets in my AR and was throughly disappointed. I was using loads from 7.5 - 8.5 grns all of these were severely underpowered. They all failed to cycle the action enough to eject the spent cases. My load manual is listing loads up to 10.0 grns of powder. Has anyone worked up a similar load? How close to maximum powder did you have to go?

petroid
04-22-2014, 10:23 PM
Those loads are not designed for a gas operated rifle. They work just fine for their intended purpose which is a reduced velocity, cast boolit round for a bolt or single shot gun. I would start with jacketed bullet data. Use starting loads with a powder like Reloader 7 or H322 or something similar and work up until you get function and acceptable accuracy.

35remington
04-23-2014, 12:05 AM
As mentioned, forget all the shotgun/pistol powders, as the pressure peaks so quickly by the time the bullet passes the gas port it is too low to cycle the action.

Many powders will work, from approximately H4198/RL7 and slower in burn rate. Since H4895 is a popular choice, I'll use it as an example. 27 grains under a 55 grain jacketed bullet will attain 3100 fps or a bit more in a 16 inch barrel, equalling M193 ball, and it will do it in cold weather without loss of much velocity.

However, my AR's will cycle with 17 to 18 grains of H4895, and speeds are a bit below 22 magnum levels. In my 1-9 twist barrels best accuracy is found with functionality with the lowest loads that will cycle the action. Since H4895 varies in velocity significantly in partially filled cases, and "riding the edge" of functionality causes jams when a cartridge is fired with powder at the front of the case rather than the back, dacron is used to position the powder, eliminate velocity and pressure variations and ensures the rifle is 100 percent reliable even when operated at slow speed.

This is one of the most useful applications for dacron I can think of. It is not possible or it is undesirable when shooting fast to position the powder in the case for every shot. Since some degree of accuracy matters, and accuracy is better at lower speeds with rough and ready but reasonably carefully loaded ammo, this is how I go.