PDA

View Full Version : boolit flipping

4rdwhln
04-22-2014, 03:02 PM
It's been a long winter and a lot of starring at the computer screen, gleaning information from the cast boolit web sight. The results of this new obsession are as follows. I have sucsesfully made bens red lube and a neat set of molds to make lube sticks. It seems to work fine in several guns. I cast my first boolits for a rifle and am amazed how clean it is staying now as well as how cheaply it can be shot. I have also learned the neatest trick ever. If i flip my 9mm down fast to get back on target I can make my boolets hit sideways. I am amazed at this as I was told you had to shoot a .45 to be able to do this.
I have read a bunch of the stickies and a bunch on the 9mm. But I have missed the part of how to keep my .357 and my .358 sized boolits from getting squished when i assemble them. I am using rcbs dies and have tried switching the expander from my .357 set in and it doesn't make any difference that i can tell. I should also say I am using 50-50+2 and was using almost pure ww both mixes were aircooled. It took a while but I think this is why I have lead in the barrel again and maybe sumptin to do with the boolit flipping.:-?:veryconfu

gray wolf
04-22-2014, 03:38 PM
boolit flipping is a good way to shoot yourself in the foot, + what on Earth is cool about it.

I am amazed at this as I was told you had to shoot a .45 to be able to do this.
Can't think of anything to add without getting into more trouble.

Land Owner
04-22-2014, 03:40 PM
Multiple things
...if you hold the pistol the way it came out of the box, it'll shoot sideways, boolits will still shoot nose forward
...boolits impacting targets sideways are called keyholes https://www.google.com/search?q=keyholing&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=n8NWU6qNDpXOsASat4DYDQ&ved=0CCUQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=907#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=-xMu4PQQ39f_NM%253A%3B0D_OG1f94m2qtM%3Bhttp%253A%25 2F%252Fimg512.imageshack.us%252Fimg512%252F7535%25 2Fkeyholetv5.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.ar15.com %252Fmobile%252Ftopic.html%253Fb%253D1%2526f%253D1 69%2526t%253D560217%2526page%253D9%3B640%3B480
...I am unfamiliar with "flip" to purposefully keyhole a shot
...low velocity, rate of barrel twist, instability, boolit yaw, eccentricity, cause keyholing
...what does "squished" really mean(?)
...if you are deforming the cases, you will need to "bell" the mouth of the case first, before seating the boolit
...if you are deforming the noses of the boolits, you will need a different seater plug, that "fits" the boolit shape

cdngunner
04-22-2014, 04:14 PM
I hear Banjos

4rdwhln
04-22-2014, 04:31 PM
I was joking about the flipping thing. I have sized boolits and measured them at the various stages of loading them. I am aware also on how to set up the dies properly. I still need to know how to keep from turning .357 -.358 dia into .3565-.357. before sending them down the barrel. My fired brass can easily fit a .358 dia boolit. My sized brass will not. the 9mm Expander will flare the case mouth but not the case walls. I have tried from just enough flare to rest the .357 dia on to flared to the point of cracking the case. I also tried the expander from the 357 mag die set. It has a more gradual taper to it and does expand the case walls a little not enough to help really tho. I have been using Bullseye powder at charges from 3.2-4 grains in only win brass with cci primers. all rounds are drop tested with the barrel . the best I have gotten so far is about 10% keyholeing and the rest seem to group as well as my other pistols.

gray wolf
04-22-2014, 05:49 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?222520-Why-some-new-members-will-do-better-than-others-here

petroid
04-22-2014, 05:53 PM
Which brand of dies are you using? Most sets assume the use of jwords and do not expand enough to allow cast boolits to be seated without the lead swaging down by the brass. 9mm and 40s&w are some notorious cases because the brass is thicker due to the high pressures associated with these rounds. I use Lee dies and had a custom expander plug for my 40 s&w die made by a forum member. It expands about three thousandths larger than the factory plug and works great.

jonp
04-22-2014, 05:59 PM
If you whip your pistol sideways you can make them go around corners. A. Joli did it in a movie so it must be true

dragon813gt
04-22-2014, 06:15 PM
If you whip your pistol sideways you can make them go around corners. A. Joli did it in a movie so it must be true

Every time I try this at the range I get kicked out. I can't figure out what's wrong w/ attempting it when every station is full.

4rdwhln
04-22-2014, 06:35 PM
Thanks Petroid !! I was wondering if that might be part of the solution. If you know of someone who can do this kind of work for RCBS dies I would be interested for sure. I also wonder if the seat crimp die should be opened up a few thousands?

osteodoc08
04-22-2014, 06:50 PM
Thanks Petroid !! I was wondering if that might be part of the solution. If you know of someone who can do this kind of work for RCBS dies I would be interested for sure. I also wonder if the seat crimp die should be opened up a few thousands?

The seating part of the seat/crimp die has no need to be opened up. The crimp portion can be controlled with the seating depth of the die in the press.

Expander dies, including the M and Cowboy series, have been popular as of late as the expander has been "optimized" for boolits.

Bullet Flipping? I'm not so sure where to go with that one. I'll let other respond on that.

Are you new to loading and casting? We are here to help but any safety issues will be quickly pointed out. Not only to protect yourself, but others around you. There is a sticky on why some people do well here....some don't.

4rdwhln
04-22-2014, 07:16 PM
I might sound new but I have been reloading for 35 years or so. I have been casting my boolits for about 25. I am amazed at the information to be found on this site. I question everything I thought I knew about the art of reloading. I have a collection of reloading manuals from the 60's up to the latest hornady one. I am on this sight most days for 6+ hours reading sometimes it runs together and my note taking skills aren't what they used to be .

Sweetpea
04-22-2014, 08:38 PM

Contact Buckshot...

Wayne Smith
04-22-2014, 09:48 PM
Sounds like you need a Lyman M die. It will size your case mouths and create the seat you want. RCBS sells a similar die that works just as well, some think better.

petroid
04-22-2014, 10:19 PM
M die may work. Buckshot can surely do it if he has the time. Look around the forum and you will find many similar posts and learn a lot.

Silverboolit
04-23-2014, 01:54 AM
Try an expander for .38 S&W. It is a little bigger.