PDA

View Full Version : Lyman vs Lee

srk
04-22-2014, 12:36 PM
Probably a topic that has been beaten to death.
But being relitively new, which one do you guys prefer.
I have the small 5lb pot that I have used for awhile
but would like to get the 10lb with the thermostat.
Let me know your thoughts/opinions!
I prefer top ladle method
Thanks

dabsond
04-22-2014, 12:41 PM
I have a lee bottom spout 5 pound pot. Cant beat it for the price. Sure it might drip a little but a quick turn with a screwdriver fixes that.

engineer401
04-23-2014, 10:05 AM
I have a Lee 10 pound bottom I don't use much anymore. It served a purpose. The price is right. As I see it, the best thing about the Lee pots is that you can buy parts for them should you need repairs. If you prefer ladle why not get the Lee 20 pound Magnum Melter. I use one for rendering wheel weights to ingots. It cannot drip and has worked as needed.

captaint
04-23-2014, 10:13 AM
srk - I think you would be far happier with a 20 lb pot, of whatever make. Nice to not have to fill them so often. Keeps the melt temps where we want them. Mike

srk
04-23-2014, 10:32 AM
Hi
From most of the replies i have read Lee seems to be the one.
Is there any reason why the Lyman has been mentioned?
Maybe the 20lb looks promising.
Thanks!

engineer401
04-23-2014, 01:37 PM
I bought the Lee because of the price. It is about $50 at Titan, a vendor sponsor. There are higher cost furnaces with better options. Fifty dollars is still fifty dollars. It worked well thus far. If it breaks and I still need it, I'll buy the parts to repair it.

Silverboolit
04-23-2014, 08:51 PM
I just bought the LEE 4-20 Pro and am very pleased with it. I can bottom pour my pistol boolits and it has the room to ladle cast some rifle boolits. I like the 20 pound capacity. Also, look at the wattage of the heater in whichever you choose. The 4-20 has a 750 watt element. A lot faster than the 500 watt in the smaller units.

Shiloh
04-30-2014, 05:15 PM
Get the LEE.

http://leeprecision.com/pro-4-20lb.html

Get it from a vendor like Midway, Natchez, Amazon, or Titan who is a vendor at the top of the page.
http://www.titanreloading.com/melters/lee-pro-4-20-lb-melter-110-volt

Shiloh

bdecker9
04-30-2014, 05:41 PM
+1 on the lee 4-20. the other brands may be nice, but i started reloading and castin' boolits to save $ (you know i meant shoot more). sure they have there ticks but i'd rather pay 50 bux for something that works than 200 for somthing that does the same thing. and if you are totally set on ladle casting i'd go for the magnum. decker

dikman
04-30-2014, 11:58 PM
I wanted a second pot, but no way could I justify buying another Pro-Melt, so I ordered a Lee Pro 4. I'm sure that with a little bit of tweaking I'll be happy with it (particularly at the price).

It's almost impossible to find one here in Oz, but a chap on another forum put me onto Titan Reloading - I wasn't aware that they were a sponsor here (doh!). I found them to be very prompt in replying to my emails, they have very good pricing and shipping costs overseas and their service is excellent. :happy dance:

MT Chambers
05-01-2014, 11:10 PM
The Lyman is a good rugged unit, the Lee, not very rugged.

rollmyown
05-02-2014, 07:37 AM
Melted lead is melted lead. buy the Lee pot and spend your money where it counts. If you don't need to be careful with your hard earned, buy the top of the range.
I only have Lee and am happy with them.