PDA

View Full Version : General castboolits rule for shooting another man's reloads

9w1911
04-22-2014, 11:13 AM
long story short, bought rifle, came with 50 reloads, look good, over trailboss, its a 450 Marlin, to shoot or not?
I do not know the guy it was a ftf from armslist

gmsharps
04-22-2014, 11:17 AM
It's not worth the risk. I would pull the bullets and put your powder in and reseat the bullet and go from there.

gmsharps

MBTcustom
04-22-2014, 11:22 AM
Pull the bullets. Not even a question.

2wheelDuke
04-22-2014, 11:24 AM
I'd at least pull a couple to make sure. I'd generally weigh some of the charges to get an idea too, but if they're trail boss, as long as the powder isn't compressed in a straight wall case you should be fine.

ph4570
04-22-2014, 11:36 AM
I would not shoot them but would pull them and start over.

plmitch
04-22-2014, 11:39 AM
Why risk it.

dragon813gt
04-22-2014, 11:44 AM
Pull them down. Reuse the brass and bullets. Sprinkle the gun powder in your garden. Not worth the risk IMO.

ShooterAZ
04-22-2014, 11:45 AM
50 rounds is not a lot to pull down and re-assemble with your own powder. That is what I would do.

searcher4851
04-22-2014, 12:18 PM
I wouldn't shoot them. I'd dismantle them and make them MY reloads.

osteodoc08
04-22-2014, 12:21 PM
No, I would absolutely not use them. I will only shoot 2 peoples reloads. My fathers and one other.

Pull down and use brass. When I pull down boolits, they end up having powder stuck to the lube and they go into the smelting pot. I dont reuse them.

FYI- There is a thread over on THR about a blown up Sp101 that a member was using unknown reloads from an unknown time that his father in law gave him. Impressive pictures.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=748351

I normally wouldnt post a link to another forum, but this is really a safety issue and I am providing evidence to support my claims......so mods, please forgive me.

Col4570
04-22-2014, 12:28 PM
No do not use them,twice the same guy who is no longer in our club blew rifles up due to mixing rifle and pistol powder.This could be the case with those reloads.Keep your fingers.

DougGuy
04-22-2014, 12:43 PM
If I know the guy REALLY good, and have sat beside him and watched and listened, while he ran his press, or even better, MY press, I might shoot his handloads. Other than that? No way. It's not that I can't or won't trust anyone else's loads, it's that part of me that simply will not let ME assume they are okay.

If I have or discover even the tiniest hair of doubt about a load that might not have gotten powder or the weight might have been off, whatever tiny mental thing that might seem the most microscopic amount out of place, I start pulling boolits.

bangerjim
04-22-2014, 12:52 PM
Agree with others. DO NOT trust an unknown loader or load! Pull them and reload yourself with known powder weight and YOUR expertise.

bangerjim

gtgeorge
04-22-2014, 12:58 PM
Pull the bullets...not the trigger. No way would I roll the dice.

oldred
04-22-2014, 01:27 PM
FYI- There is a thread over on THR about a blown up Sp101 that a member was using unknown reloads from an unknown time that his father in law gave him. Impressive pictures.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=748351

You must join or already be member to view the pics.

btroj
04-22-2014, 01:29 PM
I have shot reloads from only a few people in my life. All were people I knew quite well and trusted fully.

rr2241tx
04-22-2014, 01:36 PM
All you got is 50 empty cases and something to do while the news is on. No point in shooting probably lousy and potentially dangerous reloads. Pull and remake the cartridges with a load you know is safe and enjoy your new rifle.

NewbieDave007
04-22-2014, 01:41 PM
I'm seeing a pattern here. I'm not 100% sure what it is, but I think you have your answer.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-22-2014, 01:43 PM
Agree with others. DO NOT trust an unknown loader or load! Pull them and reload yourself with known powder weight and YOUR expertise.

bangerjim

I'm with jim

9w1911
04-22-2014, 02:15 PM
I wanted to say that I wanted to pull them all but I put this question out there. His comment was:"they are full to the rim with Trailboss" hahah and trust me I have no problem puliin' and reloadin'

9w1911
04-22-2014, 02:18 PM
did I mention I love this website !

osteodoc08
04-22-2014, 04:37 PM
You must join or already be member to view the pics.

Goatwhiskers
04-22-2014, 07:28 PM
A friend acquired a box of reloads for his 30/30, fired one, split the case end-to-end, brought 'em to me to break down and analyze. Two different kinds of primers. Two bullet weights. Some cases had a large amount of a very fine grained powder, some had about 1/2" worth of a long grain type of powder. Dumped the whole pile of course. Neighbor brought me a .300WSM to work on the accuracy, supplied 2 boxes of reloads from his BIL. They were labeled as to contents, 4 grains over max with Win760. My iron clad rule is: I don't reload for others, nor do I ever shoot someone else's reloads, no exceptions.

gbrown
04-22-2014, 08:21 PM
I'm +1 with the majority of opinions here. I have reloads from by best bud, who passed away in '09. He and I started loading together, when he was like 17 and I was 16. May have been 16 and 15, can't remember--no matter. He and I reloaded alike--nothing real hot. I'd shoot his reloads all day. However, any I get from someone else gets pulled. Have I pulled a lot in my life? You betcha. Not worth the gamble, man. Pull 'em and forget 'em. 50? That's not even a lot of effort. Just MHO.

Mik
04-22-2014, 08:56 PM
I bought this parachute from a buddy, he said it was packed perfectly......

Head on over to the "silliest thing you've ever heard" thread.

There are some certified, card-carrying, idiots out there. One of them could have assembled those cartridges.

I think you know the answer, that's why you asked! Good on you.

jeepyj
04-23-2014, 06:25 AM
I wouldn't try. IMHO any quality loader would have marked there box with load data. I made up the one in the photo on my computer then photo-copied a stack of them. I tape to the top of every box that way there is never a question. Personally I don't usually shoot other guys loads and seldom offer mine up.
Jeepyj

rr2241tx
04-23-2014, 12:18 PM
I wouldn't try. IMHO any quality loader would have marked there box with load data. I made up the one in the photo on my computer then photo-copied a stack of them. I tape to the top of every box that way there is never a question. Personally I don't usually shoot other guys loads and seldom offer mine up.
Jeepyj

Jeepyj, I like your box labels. Trouble is, if I didn't make the label and fill the box, I really don't know whether the label and the cartridges go together, which is why I would never shoot any random reload. As a general rule, I do not find best accuracy at the maximum load, but no one shoots my reloads in any firearm but mine where I know it is a safe load.

GaryN
04-23-2014, 12:46 PM
I've got 100 220 swift loaded rounds sitting by me right now. They were loaded by my bil's son. I look at them and see components. No way would I shoot them.

P.s. I also label all my ammo. I didn't use to when I first started but I can never remember what is in them.

cephas53
04-23-2014, 01:03 PM
Was in a similar situation awhile back. Actually knew the guy and thought it would be ok. Debated in my head back and forth. Finally pulled them down and glad I did. Load variance would be an understatement.

9w1911
04-23-2014, 01:39 PM
I will try to pull them all tonight and I will list the components weight

Bonz
04-23-2014, 01:47 PM
There is a lot of sick people out there. There is no doubt that I would pull the projectiles, scrap the powder and inspect the cases before reloading.

Moonie
04-23-2014, 03:19 PM
I trust my reloads, my oldest sons reloads (he only reloads at my house, with me) and I would trust God's reloads, all others get pulled down.

As I ready years ago, In God we trust, all others we verify.

jeepyj
04-23-2014, 08:18 PM
Jeepyj, I like your box labels. Trouble is, if I didn't make the label and fill the box, I really don't know whether the label and the cartridges go together, which is why I would never shoot any random reload. As a general rule, I do not find best accuracy at the maximum load, but no one shoots my reloads in any firearm but mine where I know it is a safe load.

Don't get the wrong impression... I'm in full agreement the loads should be used for components only. I was simply showing how I keep track of my own different loads. For me it keeps the guessing out of my test boolits and my tried and when I'm preparing to head out to the pit.
Jeepyj

MrWolf
04-23-2014, 08:29 PM
If you didn't load em then don't shoot em. Not worth the risk. Agree with everyone else's comments.

jonp
04-23-2014, 08:41 PM
Pull, throw the powder and reuse the cases/ bullets. Unless they are commercial reloads or someone i know and trust there is no way im shooting them.

See my comment on Trailboss next post

jonp
04-23-2014, 08:47 PM
I wanted to say that I wanted to pull them all but I put this question out there. His comment was:"they are full to the rim with Trailboss" hahah and trust me I have no problem puliin' and reloadin'

TB is pretty distinctive stuff. Pull and if full of little donuts id save the powder and reload them myself.
Anyone know of a powder that looks like TB?

9w1911
04-23-2014, 09:01 PM
I own all kinds of powders and none look even close to TB

Pb2au
04-23-2014, 09:03 PM
I'd say pull em down. The only thing you will lose is the powder.

9w1911
04-24-2014, 12:51 AM
I pulled two so far, and first one had 10gr and the second had 12.5gr

leadman
04-24-2014, 01:36 AM
With that variance it probably would not be very accurate but unlikely to be unsafe, until you pull one apart and something is way off, or different powder.

Ajax
04-24-2014, 05:57 AM
If I didn't load them i would not think of shooting them.

Andy

dragon813gt
04-24-2014, 06:36 AM
Even w/ labeled boxes they can't be trusted. I was given a bunch of labeled boxes. Upon taking them apart I found that the charge weights were all over the place, contrary to the box label. I label all mine so I know what's in them. I don't expect anyone else to trust them.

6bg6ga
04-24-2014, 06:41 AM
Pull the bullets, save the powder in a container and maybe you can figure out what it is at a later date.

762 shooter
04-24-2014, 07:09 AM
I would shoot them. Just pull them and reassemble first!

9w1911
04-24-2014, 10:00 AM
the powder is Trailboss with out a doubt, does not look compressed

snuffy
04-24-2014, 11:20 AM
Many years ago,(too many to admit to OR remember), I bought a box of 20 47/70 reloads form a guy at a gunshow. Just so happened that I was the proud new owner of a H&R Calvary model trapdoor Springfield. I was actually looking for brass and boolits, but this was all I could find. The dufuss behind the table said they were loaded with Unique, and had a 350 grain cast boolit. I didn't have a collet for 45 cal, so I said to my self, self lets go plink with these!

Things were going fine until about half way through the box. A much louder boom, twice the kick, and a shell that would not extract. No cleaning rod along, so I had to wait to get it out at home. The case had bulged into the extractor cut along side of the 7 o'clock position of the chamber, as well as disrupting the metal of the chamber. Permanently damaged the chamber, every shell that's fired in it has a little bulge in it.

I eventually pulled the rest of those shells, they all had a moderate load of unique. ONE case had been double charged! That's all it took to damage that rifle.

9w1911
04-24-2014, 12:01 PM
pulled #3 and it has 13.5gn.

762 shooter
04-24-2014, 04:24 PM
Unless you pull them all, you won't know til you pull the trigger.

zxcvbob
04-24-2014, 04:52 PM
Pull them all, and reassemble w/ the same components. I wouldn't say this, except Trailboss. You can surely load with less variance, and you can make sure that there's not *just one* in the lot that's full to the top of Clays or Bullseye instead of TB.

9w1911
04-24-2014, 06:45 PM
yep pulling them all and tossing the powder

PS Paul
04-24-2014, 06:49 PM
"I shoot reloads from everyone!", said the guy missing one eye and three fingers......

gtgeorge
04-24-2014, 07:12 PM
Now with this thread
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?239464-Carpenter-Bee-Load you can use the powder from pulled bullets for your Sporting Bee Load :guntootsmiley:

BruceB
04-25-2014, 01:36 PM
Hmmmm...... the sentiment and opinion on this thread seems quite uniform: namely, "DON"T SHOOT IT IF YOU DIDN'T LOAD IT!"

We have a large-enough cross-section of our CB membership on this thread, that the general opinion SHOULD be taken as "valid".

Explain to me THIS, therefore, if it's subject to explanation:

A the annual Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot, where all the shooters are members of this same group that generates the above opinions..... EVERYONE seems to be happily shooting ammunition reloaded by other members. Firearms and ammo are passed around with great enthusiasm ("Here, try THIS!") and all hands have a great time test-firing each others' guns and ammo.

Do we all trust EACH OTHER that much, to the point that we abandon the caution expressed by ourselves on this thread? It sure does seem that way, because this has been the normal state of things at the NCBS from its beginning fifteen years ago.

There have certainly been NO untoward incidents, and everyone just has a heck of a good time.

How do we reconcile that with the collective opinion against firing other folks' reloaded ammunition? Just a question, but it's one that has somewhat puzzled me for a long time.

km101
04-25-2014, 01:38 PM
Don"t!

SSGOldfart
04-25-2014, 01:48 PM
Pull the bullets. Not even a question.
Humm yup not worth the risk

9w1911
04-25-2014, 08:21 PM
all pulled, powder tossed into garden, will begin to load with what I have.

lefty o
04-26-2014, 12:36 AM
i'll never again shoot another mans reloads, and havent in many years. one double charged 44mag leaves a very lasting impression!

zxcvbob
04-26-2014, 09:47 PM
Did everybody miss the fact that it was Trailboss? :confused: One can take the "when in doubt, throw it out" thing too far.

Ben
04-26-2014, 09:51 PM
I have a 2nd question for you.

What is your vision or your life worth ? ?

Pull them !

BruceB
04-26-2014, 10:23 PM
So..... NOBODY wants to try explaining why some of the longest-term, most-experienced, highly-respected members FROM THIS FORUM, from this very group that has generated this universally-negative opinion.....are prepared to shoot each others' handloads at an annual convocation.

As I stated before, it strikes me as very curious, that we place our normal cautions in abeyance for this event. I don't really expect an answer, because I've been puzzling about it without a solution it for fifteen years..... but it is a FACT.

It does seem that we (the hundreds who have attended the Nevada Shoot) consider members of this Board to be sufficiently competent that we are prepared to fire their handloads with a clear sense of confidence about the results.

There have not been any safety incidents from the assorted handloads over the years. Perhaps having the makers of the loads right at hand gives us some peace of mind, maybe?

Interesting.

MT Gianni
04-26-2014, 10:40 PM
Bruce, It has puzzled me as well. I think as you stated you can watch someone fire them first, you have the loader right there and one does not generally attend the event being a casual loader. There are a few exceptions but those stated are the average. I am happy firing someone's loads in their gun and loaning them mine. I was a bit hesitant to let another longtime member have some I loaded for my pistols when he had forgotten his cartridges, but in the end had no problems doing so. I was more concerned that I could have caused a squib than he was to shoot an overload. A lot of it is the trust which comes about because of the camaraderie.
When you watch someone try to beat their peers, with loads they assembled it is almost an honor to shoot their guns.

BeeMan
04-26-2014, 11:01 PM
Bruce,

I wondered the same thing. I can recall having fired handloads from only 3 other people in 35 years of shooting. The first was shortly after I bought my first rifle and I had no idea of the potential consequences. Next was a trusted shooting partner in college. Then 7 years ago I had an out of state job interview. A member of this board invited me to visit his club and shoot in a match the next day. Based on his contributions on this board and a number of emails, there was no question as to his trustworthiness.

In between these times, I met a handful of shooters whose loads I would not have fired. Fortunately I was not asked and put in a position of having to decline.

Yes, it seems we can take the measure of another handloader and place our trust in their work. I would have loved to attend the Nevada shoots but was too far away.

BeeMan

9w1911
04-27-2014, 12:49 AM
I assume it is from firing the reloads in their firearm.

waksupi
04-27-2014, 02:19 AM
So..... NOBODY wants to try explaining why some of the longest-term, most-experienced, highly-respected members FROM THIS FORUM, from this very group that has generated this universally-negative opinion.....are prepared to shoot each others' handloads at an annual convocation.

As I stated before, it strikes me as very curious, that we place our normal cautions in abeyance for this event. I don't really expect an answer, because I've been puzzling about it without a solution it for fifteen years..... but it is a FACT.

It does seem that we (the hundreds who have attended the Nevada Shoot) consider members of this Board to be sufficiently competent that we are prepared to fire their handloads with a clear sense of confidence about the results.

There have not been any safety incidents from the assorted handloads over the years. Perhaps having the makers of the loads right at hand gives us some peace of mind, maybe?

Interesting.

I'm a lot more likely to shoot some one's reloads in THEIR guns, than MY guns!

fatnhappy
04-27-2014, 02:31 AM
Hmmmm...... the sentiment and opinion on this thread seems quite uniform: namely, "DON"T SHOOT IT IF YOU DIDN'T LOAD IT!"

We have a large-enough cross-section of our CB membership on this thread, that the general opinion SHOULD be taken as "valid".

Explain to me THIS, therefore, if it's subject to explanation:

A the annual Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot, where all the shooters are members of this same group that generates the above opinions..... EVERYONE seems to be happily shooting ammunition reloaded by other members. Firearms and ammo are passed around with great enthusiasm ("Here, try THIS!") and all hands have a great time test-firing each others' guns and ammo.

Do we all trust EACH OTHER that much, to the point that we abandon the caution expressed by ourselves on this thread? It sure does seem that way, because this has been the normal state of things at the NCBS from its beginning fifteen years ago.

There have certainly been NO untoward incidents, and everyone just has a heck of a good time.

How do we reconcile that with the collective opinion against firing other folks' reloaded ammunition? Just a question, but it's one that has somewhat puzzled me for a long time.

Respectfully:

1. Anyone graduating to cast is more than a mere tool collector. Any nitwit can change the oil in a car. Fewer can replace a head gasket.
2. Before firing your rifle at an assembly I can reasonably expect you to have already done so. ergo res ipsa loquitor
3. It's reasonable to believe anyone attending is bringing their A game.
4. Handloads from an assembled group of booliteers is as similar to handloads sans bona fides as Barack Obama is to integrity in government.

MBTcustom
04-27-2014, 09:57 AM
OK, so last year I shot some of my fathers reloads. You think I might trust my father? He's chief scientist at an aerospace company. He is actually a certified, bonafide rocket scientist.
SO, I'm rummaging through a bunch of ammo cans he gave me and found three boxes of 45-70 that he loaded when he was my age. Sweet manna from heaven!
Out to the range I go with my trusty Guide Gun to make some empty brass (they were loaded with jacketed).
I shot the first one and it felt like shooting a 300 winmag out of a squirt gun! Of course me, not having ever shot a 45-70 factory cartridge nor anything close to it, figured "wow! that's some serious sauce!"
So I shot two more of them. That's about all I wanted of that. So I busted out the Chronograph and launched one more. That bullet was tooling along at 2450FPS!!!!
I called up my dad, and asked him what in the name of all that is sacred and holy did he load these for?!?!?!
He thought for a second and remembered that he had loaded them for a feller he used to shoot with who had a Ruger #1 and liked to punch the 600 yard gong with it. I told him that I had run those through my Guide Gun, and he said "Yeah, you don't want to do that. Glad you're OK!"

Yep. Like I said.
Pull the bullets. Not even a question..............ever.

The only exception I would make to this, is if the load data was written on the bag, box, or container, and 2-3 pull downs rendered components that matched the nomenclature on the box exactly.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-27-2014, 10:17 AM
I'm with jim

bangerjim

Interesting.

Bruce,
again I say, I'm with Jim. I suppose I can add, that it's a judgement call to shoot something loaded by a known loader, as to whether I trust their abilities or not...and recognizing the Load as a HOT one or not.

Goodsteel has a great example, I'm sure I would have shot those 45-70's if I was in his shoes...and in hindsight, that was a mistake. Rule on the side of cautiousness my friends.
Jon

9w1911
04-27-2014, 01:55 PM
haha great story Goodsteel!

alamogunr
04-27-2014, 05:22 PM
I won't give my reloads to others. Too much on the line.

About 10 years ago I bought a Browning B92 .44 Mag from an individual I didn't know. Actually bought it through a friend. It came with a gallon freezer bag of about 300+ rounds.

I shot about 6-8 rounds at a paper plate at about 30-40 yards. Most hit the plate but were scattered. I checked the barrel and it was heavily leaded. I can't explain why I didn't check the barrel before shooting it but those few rounds would not have leaded it to that extent.

Suffice to say, after deleading the barrel, I sat down with the impact bullet puller and pulled every bullet. The brass looked ok and most of those cases have been reloaded at least once with low to mid-range loads and worked fine. The powder was scattered around the shrubs. The boolets went into the casting pot. I suspect they were undersized.

The few that I shot, gave no indication of high pressure and did not recoil excessively so they were probably OK but they did remind me that I don't shoot others reloads.

The leaded barrel was probably the reason I got the gun so cheap. It turned out to be a great gun.

WILCO
04-27-2014, 10:54 PM
Not even a question.

Some questions just have to be asked......

MBTcustom
04-28-2014, 03:36 PM
Some questions just have to be asked......

True, but my point is, that's a job for your lips. Not your trigger finger!!!

cbrick
04-28-2014, 04:05 PM
Yep. Like I said. Pull the bullets. Not even a question..............ever.

The only exception I would make to this, is if the load data was written on the bag, box, or container, and 2-3 pull downs rendered components that matched the nomenclature on the box exactly.

Now wait a minute here . . . I seem to remember a certain moderator rather eagerly shooting someone elses handloads. All day! :mrgreen:

Rick

Cornbread
04-28-2014, 07:13 PM
I agree with the other fellas, pull them and shoot your own loads out of them instead. I have never shot another person's reloads other than my brother back when we used to reload side by side on the same bench. Even with as careful as we were, we got a couple double loads of 357 when we first started out. Ever since then to this day I don't load powder through the dye, I do it separately as the last step before I place a bullet on it and seat the bullet. I leave my sized and primed brass in the holder upside down so it won't hold powder until I place a charge in it and then immediately seat the bullet and place it right side up in the "done" box. I have never had a double charge since then but prior to going to that way of doing it as a teen I had some double charges. Thankfully we were never on the hot end of our loads when it occurred.

MBTcustom
04-28-2014, 11:38 PM
Now wait a minute here . . . I seem to remember a certain moderator rather eagerly shooting someone elses handloads. All day! :mrgreen:

Rick

All I can say is "it was worth the risk".
LOL!
Honestly, those were some of the most accuratcast boolit loads ive ever fired out of a handgun. Couldn't resist!

RPRNY
04-29-2014, 12:46 AM
I will not break with consensus but will qualify. If indeed "full to the rim with Trail Boss" they would be fine to shoot. One cannot overcharge a rifle case with TB... Except one can. There is a growing body of evidence that TB delivers disproportionate pressure spikes when compressed. So if "full to the rim" means "compressed" even TB could be dangerous depending on case capacity and rifle.