PDA

View Full Version : sales price of lathe

hiram
04-21-2014, 08:38 PM
I have a South-bend 9X18 lathe I am selling to a friend.
It has:
1 all the change gears
2 steady rest
3 regular 3 jaw chuck
4 4 jaw chuck
5 headstock chuck
6 tailstock chuck
7 6 collets
8 milling attachment and some mills
9 some centerdrills and gauges
10 dogs and faceplate
11 threading indicator
12 2 knurling tools and 2 tool holders

Whats a fair/good price for this to a friend?

osteodoc08
04-21-2014, 08:53 PM
How good a friend and how bad do you need the $$$. I've been given several tools by friends, some home made casting stuff. I would never part with them. They have more sentimental value than anything else.

As far as a value on the lathe itself, I couldn't help you there.

Bored1
04-21-2014, 08:59 PM
Depends on what you mean by "friend". If you mean a true friend that has been through everything with you, that you have no doubt about being there answering the phone and helping anytime day or night if you need it, then my suggestion is give it to him. He will repay you what he believes is fair over time however he can.

If he is just a causal acquaintance I would suggest checking craigslist locally and knocking 20% off of the average prices you find.

Unless for whatever reason you need $$$. In that case whatever amount you need but still well under the average price is what I would consider myself.

labradigger1
04-21-2014, 09:01 PM
I feel sb's with change gears usualy go for around $600 in this area with a fair amt of tooling. Nothing wrong with change gears as that is what my 1918 "O" series has and it does good work. It is just a pain to change the gears and you get pretty oily in the process. Next question is what do i have to trade you for the 4 jaw chuck.
lab

smokeywolf
04-21-2014, 09:03 PM
Asking a value on a piece of equipment sight unseen, is asking for too much of a guess.

Alstep
04-22-2014, 01:48 AM
Try this site.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/
You don't mention whether it's a model B or C. The A model would have quick change gears, and the toolroom model would have quick change gears & taper attachment.
If your lathe is in nice clean condition, $600 minimum. SB attachments are bringing a premium price these days.
I sold a well equipped Atlas 10X36 in nice clean condition for $1000, and probably could have gotten more, as I got several offers for it. A South Bend is considered a better machine, a lot heavier built.
Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck with your sale.

hiram
04-22-2014, 03:04 AM
Thank you for your input. Need of $$$ is not a premium. I need some work done in the house. He already put in led high-hats for me and redid the master bathroom. Came out very good. I want to get several doors replaced. Maybe I can trade him the lathe for labor---I buy the doors.

Reg
04-22-2014, 03:32 AM
South Bends , in good shape, with attachments in our neck of the woods can easily go for 1,000.00 and up. A dog in fact will bring this grand. Have seen several in very nice condition, tooled go for 2,000.00. These are not cheap machines. I would refer you to fleabay. Not everyone likes them but they do set the standard pricing.

bangerjim
04-22-2014, 01:23 PM
It is not a quick change and is a short bed, but you have a lot of goodies to go with it.

I have 5 lathes and use them all!

Pricing can be regional also, as some areas are now very economically Obamadepressed.

I would think (sight unseen) that anywhere between $650 and 750 would be a good price for a good friend. Joe-Blo off the street........$1.1K at least.

SB's are very good lathes.

bangerjim

Elkins45
04-22-2014, 10:08 PM
I bought a 9x36 from a stranger off Craigslist two years ago. It came with just about everything you have listed except for the milling attachment, collets and steady rest. I paid $500 cash for it.

I added a steady for around $100 off eBay, and I think it would cost $200-300 to add the milling attachment.