PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 452374 Getting stuck in Lyman 45

Bored1
04-20-2014, 11:39 PM
Just got a new (to me anyways) lyman 45. Tried to size a 452374 in the new sizer and it got stuck. Not sticking, STUCK. Had to use a hammer and vise grips to get the bullet back out of the sizing die. Thought maybe it was because the lube wasn't through the sizer enough since everything was completely dry so I tried using some 3 in 1 oil on the next bullet, however that one stuck too, not a bad this time though since I stopped as soon as it started sticking again.

Pretty sure I'm doing something wrong, just not sure what. Have never run into this problem with my RCBS LAMII.

454PB
04-20-2014, 11:42 PM
If a light application of boolit lube on the boolit before sizing doesn't cure the problem, you have a die problem. Look for scratches or other defects inside.

nhrifle
04-20-2014, 11:44 PM
Try warming things up a bit. I have found lubing/sizing to be much easier in the warmer weather.

Boogieman
04-21-2014, 12:05 AM
Remove the sizer die, clean it & check to see that the rod moves easily Check the size it should be .452 "+/- .001 for a 45ACP . It could be the wrong size or miss marked. Make sure the linkage on the sizer is assembled properly & your 'er getting a full stroke.

oger
04-21-2014, 12:06 AM
I agree with nhrifle, take a hair dryer to it until it gets real warm to the touch

Bored1
04-21-2014, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the answers guys. After heating it for a bit I tried again and had a "DUH IDIOT" moment. I had the wood the sizer is attached to clamped to a wood & metal step stool (like a 2.5' ladder) and finally noticed once it was all warm and I was moving the handle that the top of the stand was floppin all over the place. Unclamped it from the mini ladder and took it downstairs and clamped it to the bench making sure the clamp was on the metal base of the sizer and not the wood it is bolted to and voila. Started working!!!!

Now ran into another problem. Somehow I also missed that the die is missing the rubber o-ring so when I get the pressure right to fill the groove a pretty ribbon of lube comes out between the die and sizer.

NVM on the size. Found the answer right here!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?3166-Replacement-O-ring-for-Lyman-size-die