PDA

View Full Version : range report

quickshot
01-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Well today I had a great day at the range. (for once!!)
Wife got me a new toy for Christmas. A S&W pre lock model 65-2 in .357mag. SOOOO I loaded up some test rounds with some Blue Dot and Unique under some LEE 358-158-rf sized .358 and lubed with some Lars Carnuba Red. Now for all those who have been following my threads....the .357 with cast has not been my friend.(well if you call keyholeing boolits and plated bores friends then I have quite a few) Well today that all changed. The blue dot loads grouped in the 2" at 10yd range and the Unique loads averaged...well lets say that they at least hit the 8.5x11 paper that I was shooting at. All shots were offhand in a wonderful 51 degrees with a light 25-30 mph cross breeze. All loads including the 300ish crap .38 loads that I made left me with no leading and a nice lube star on the muzzle. I was a very happy camper. And as an added bonus.. the 702 plinkster .22 rifle that used to shoot patterns instead of groups finally straightened up it's act and is now a decent shooter. (amazing what a few hours with a file and that dreaded plastic stock will do) Now to de-thaw and get to loading up some more BD rounds!!!

Buckshot
01-05-2008, 04:16 AM
..............It's all good when things start to act right. Or act 'more' right then before. Remember, change ONE thing at a time and keep notes (especially of stuff that does not work):-)

................Buckshot

9.3X62AL
01-05-2008, 04:33 AM
The S&W Models 13 and 65 usually shoot REALLY well--they are a very good service-grade 357 Magnum. My S&W and Ruger 357's get .359" boolits, the Colt OMT won't fit a boolit over .358 into its throats.