PDA

View Full Version : The Israeli Mauser is back and it's been butchered!

Four Fingers of Death
09-08-2005, 07:55 AM
About three years ago, we started a Military Service Rifle club up at the local range. It was started up as part of our equivalent to the NRA. It turned out that all of the ten or so people who were interested, all turned out to be Correctional Officers. No matter what we tried, we couldn't get anyone else interested.

Anyway, we have a retired officer who was on the ropes big time and couldn't afford to shoot. At the time I had what looked like an unfired Israeli Mauser. It was parkersed and did not have a shiny spot on it anywhere. It was lovely. It didn't even have the goofy big triggerguard.

To get the old guy back in the game, I gave him the rifle, a set of dies (bloody Redding ones), cases and few other odds and ends to help him out. This guy has a bad record of chopping up rifles, but I gave him a chance as I didn't want to see him in such dire straits.

Lo and behold, he decides to make a target rifle out of it, chops off the forend at an angle and filed the charger clip guide down and drilled and tapped the action and fitted a cheap and nasty big scope. Naturally, it left something to be desired and he soon traded it off for a song to a mutual friend.

I picked it back up the other day after trading a shotgun for it and some other gear.

It needs some work big time, but should still shoot as the barrel still looks new. I have attached a few shots of it. When I ever get around to repairing it, I will repost with new pix.

It is a 1944 Oberndorf and has Nazi markings on the side, which have been partially stamped over. I suppose I should have taken a shot of those also.
Mick.

Bad Ass Wallace
09-08-2005, 09:29 AM
G'day Mick,
I have an Israilie Oberndorf still in mint condition also so I can appreciate your dissapointment at having one butchered. I use the 180gn RCBS flatnose over 32gn 2206 which shoots exceptionally well. I've posted a best of 74.11 at 100m with that load.
Biggest suprise was a 141.13 with a 577/450 Martini in Feb 04; that got heads turning!

mike in co
09-08-2005, 11:02 AM
Sarco's Latest Ad Has Israeli Mauser Stocks For Sale

bascom32423
09-08-2005, 11:27 AM
I don't know who first said it but unfortunately it appears to be true. "No good deed goes unpunished."

Henry

Four Fingers of Death
09-10-2005, 04:35 AM
I don't know who first said it but unfortunately it appears to be true. "No good deed goes unpunished."

Henry

The guy I gave the rifle to is a nice old bloke, but he seems to occasionally have a short circuit or something.

A bit later after thrading this rifle off, he put a premium target Bbl on; guess what? Of course, a Japanese Arisaka! He kept waffling on about how they were supposed to be the strongest actions, etc. Naturally, that didn't work out either.

Bad Ass, how are you scoring those groups you told me about? I have an RCBS mould, but I thik it is a bit lighter, I have never used it. All my casting gear is back home at Bathurst at the moment.
Mick.

Bad Ass Wallace
09-10-2005, 06:48 AM
Standard SSAA Service rifle target
15rounds at 100m - Max score 75
10rounds at 200m - Max score 50
5rounds at 300m - Max score 25

Total 150. Ties are decided on countback of inner tens i.e 74.11 is 11 inner bulls.

StarMetal
09-10-2005, 12:01 PM
Mick

He's right about the Arisaka, it was one of the strongest actions of all the WWII rifles. Baciscally the Arisaka action is pretty much a copy of the 93 Mauser action rather then the 98 as alot of people think. Instead of having the chisel face ahead of the firing pin that mates with a corresponding female chisel recess in the bolt body to make sure the firing pin cannot reach the primer only until the bolt is fully locked closed, it has the little pin on the trigger mechanism that mates with a recess in the bolt body only when the bolt is fully locked closed, just like the 93 Mauser. Also Arisaka's cock on closing. I know alot of people that have custom rifle built up on the Arisaka including myself. In my opinion I believe it's a better action then the 98 Mauser and it's lighter and stronger too.

Joe

Four Fingers of Death
09-10-2005, 10:24 PM
Mick

He's right about the Arisaka, it was one of the strongest actions of all the WWII rifles. Baciscally the Arisaka action is pretty much a copy of the 93 Mauser action rather then the 98 as alot of people think. Instead of having the chisel face ahead of the firing pin that mates with a corresponding female chisel recess in the bolt body to make sure the firing pin cannot reach the primer only until the bolt is fully locked closed, it has the little pin on the trigger mechanism that mates with a recess in the bolt body only when the bolt is fully locked closed, just like the 93 Mauser. Also Arisaka's cock on closing. I know alot of people that have custom rifle built up on the Arisaka including myself. In my opinion I believe it's a better action then the 98 Mauser and it's lighter and stronger too.

Joe

The shame is that this guy chopped up a complete Arisaka to make up this rifle. It was a shame to break it up as they aren't all that common. He spent around $A600 buying the premium Bbl and fitting it and traded it in for $120 a few months later. It has been sitting on the shelf at the gun shop for ages. I might go and have a look at it. Make a good cast boolit gun I suppose. Or I could pull the Bbl and use it on something else and put a lighter Bbl on the Arisaka and use it for a light walkabout rifle in 35 Whelan or similar. I have a Mauser 98 semi finished stock which I could adapt no doubt.