PDA

View Full Version : is there a way to get free shipping at Midway without spending $175?

frkelly74
04-19-2014, 08:59 PM
Apparently there is a jump at about $85 where they no longer offer the $10.62 shipping with UPS and USPS both involved and go to just UPS for $19.32. Another dollar added from $84 costs you $9 more in shipping. Just trying to cheap my way out of a problem here.

Bad Water Bill
04-20-2014, 12:45 AM
That is the very reason I picked up my new holster at Cabelas today.

Same price as Midway but no shipping charge IF I picked it up at my local store on the way to do other shopping.

Do I mind saving $$$$ on shipping.:bigsmyl2:

TXGunNut
04-20-2014, 12:59 AM
Shipping is a significant cost and worthy of consideration. I simply added mould handles this week until I got free shipping, seems I keep running out of them. ;-) I've done the same with gas checks. They won't go bad, I'll use them someday and they seem to go up every year or so.

Bad Water Bill
04-20-2014, 01:12 AM
When Midway charges $14.95 shipping for something that fits in a USPS small flat rate box and sends it UPS to my local post office to take 2-3 days longer someone is getting ripped off and it sure isn't Mr Potterfield.

LUBEDUDE
04-20-2014, 04:15 AM
While I do understand where you are coming from, I don't mind doing a little bit of extra shopping when I find myself in similar predicaments. Considering that Midway/Mr Potterfield sponsors my Weds night veiwing on the Outdoor channel and has for years, I don't mind giving him my business. I'm not saying cave in to outrageous shipping, I just try to fill a need if possible.

Also, he donates a ton of money to the NRA, out of his pocket. I'm not talking about the round up program that comes out of our pockets.

Pb2au
04-20-2014, 06:51 AM
I think the only way would be to marry Larry Potterfield. While Larry seems to be a super nice guy, it's not an option I would be willing to explore.

6bg6ga
04-20-2014, 07:15 AM
When Midway charges $14.95 shipping for something that fits in a USPS small flat rate box and sends it UPS to my local post office to take 2-3 days longer someone is getting ripped off and it sure isn't Mr Potterfield.

Its a cost of doing business. I doubt that they could stay in business not charging for employees that are packing your goods. I get irritated with the cost of shipping myself but then again I don't have millions of dollars worth of items on my shelves waiting for someone to purchase it.

kens
04-20-2014, 07:20 AM
Sometimes they have a article that sells with free shipping. Sometimes I get that widget to qualify for free shipping, then buy the stuff I really want.

Cmm_3940
04-20-2014, 07:33 AM
Brownell's has the same issue with shipping as Midway. I usually open the two sites in two different tabs to compare prices. With shipping added in, there is usually only a couple bucks difference.

On another side note, how is it justified to base shipping cost on item price, and not weight and volume? It's not as if they are insuring anything, shipping stuff with that so-called "smart post" carp. Smells fishy. Gouge, gouge gouge. [smilie=b:

Other places have been getting my money lately; Midsouth and Widener's most recently.

<rant over>

btroj
04-20-2014, 07:38 AM
I don't even look at shipping cost usually.

If I need or want it, I buy it. Pretty simple really. I can either pay for it or do without it.

OBIII
04-20-2014, 08:24 AM
For most purchases, Midway has never charged me what I consider to be over the top shipping fees. In most cases, don't forget that sales tax is not charged. That 175.00 bought here locally in MD would be an additional 10.50, as well as gas at 3.70 a gallon. I live where nothing is close to me. A lot of companies charge a lot more than Midway for their shipping costs. I do agree that charging 15.00 for a sfrb through USPS is hard to swallow though.

OB

Screwbolts
04-20-2014, 08:34 AM
I am not a in any way related to or a representative of any vender other than Myself.

As some have eluded to shipping cost is not just Postage, Not all boxes, envelopes, tape, people to pull the stuff off the shelf, people to package it, and packing material are free.

Yes shipping can be expensive but at 4.54 for a gallon of diesel for myself to drive 50 miles isn't free either. nor is the time it takes to drive.

Shipping costs and no sales tax is usually a good deal, but some would complain when they use a new rope.

Ken

monadnock#5
04-20-2014, 08:34 AM
As much as I would like for more vendors to use Flat Rate shipping, I would sure Not be in favor of the USPS ever gaining a monopoly over the domestic shipping market. That would be a REAL horrorshow.

Heavy lead
04-20-2014, 08:49 AM
I love to pay shipping, I don't have to be subjected to some local butt head who doesn't want to work, don't have to waste my time to go to the local stores that don't have what I want spending gasoline at 4 bucks a gallon and taking time from a busy day. Don't get me wrong I'll maximize shipping when I can, but if you count the fuel and the time most shipping is a steal.
The same with guns, my local shops are just a waste of time, they are full of junk overpriced in line muzzleloaders, absolutely rusted up junk again overpriced used guns, and of course all the 2k Benelli's you could want.
I'll just pay the shipping and buy on line and pick up at the FFL.
It's 2014 and I like it.

historicfirearms
04-20-2014, 08:55 AM
Buy one of their "free shipping" items, some cost $4 or so. This will usually cut your shipping cost in half.

jaydub in wi
04-20-2014, 09:15 AM
I love to pay shipping, I don't have to be subjected to some local butt head who doesn't want to work, don't have to waste my time to go to the local stores that don't have what I want spending gasoline at 4 bucks a gallon and taking time from a busy day. Don't get me wrong I'll maximize shipping when I can, but if you count the fuel and the time most shipping is a steal.
The same with guns, my local shops are just a waste of time, they are full of junk overpriced in line muzzleloaders, absolutely rusted up junk again overpriced used guns, and of course all the 2k Benelli's you could want.
I'll just pay the shipping and buy on line and pick up at the FFL.
It's 2014 and I like it.
I couldn't agree more.

jcwit
04-20-2014, 09:45 AM
The above comments is one of the reasons I use Graf & Sons whenever possible.

trapper9260
04-20-2014, 09:57 AM
I buy on line when I can not find it anywhere else. I mainly get it from the gunsmith I am friends with and for what he charges with the tax is cheaper then the shipping added on the low cost item. When I look at getting something I look at it for what it is cost on line with the shipping added. f I find it on my travels in a store and at a nice price I will get it but if it is high I past it up and look else where. Like some said sometimes it is cheaper to get it on line then to drive to the store.

Bill*
04-20-2014, 10:05 AM
I don't even look at shipping cost usually.

If I need or want it, I buy it. Pretty simple really. I can either pay for it or do without it.

Isn't there some rule against displaying common sense on the internet? "Bad btroj bad" <holding rolled up newspaper> :mrgreen:

dragon813gt
04-20-2014, 10:10 AM
As much as I would like for more vendors to use Flat Rate shipping, I would sure Not be in favor of the USPS ever gaining a monopoly over the domestic shipping market. That would be a REAL horrorshow.

Most people that want USPS Flat Rate shipping have no idea how bad it is. For selling a few items here it's fine. Shipping thousands of packages a day w/ no real time tracking w/ a company that has a penchant for losing them is a recipe for disaster. The potential money lost just hurts my brain thinking about it. Midway's shipping costs seem to be all over the place. I also find they use boxes that are to big for your order. Shipping cost is based on size and weight. W/ size being the biggest factor. Less boxes on the truck means less money they make shipping them. The UPS w/ USPS delivery at the end is the biggest joke. Your UPS tracking number stops working when they hand it off. I received the package three days later and it was handed off 10 miles away. I gladly pay the extra for UPS straight to my door.

We will see if companies start offering Fed-Ex flat rate because they now offer it. I trust them a lot more than the USPS. As long as gas prices stay high so will the shipping costs. We will know shortly how much Obamacare will effect prices of everything so hold onto your hats.

Bad Water Bill
04-20-2014, 10:14 AM
Back in 1953 I got my first job.

It was in the SHIPPING dept of a large store.

I took a large box and started wrapping a order of crystal glass ware,many pieces and all carefully hand wrapped and shipped at no extra charge.

Yes that was the way such companies as Sears,Ward,Spiegles and many other major retailers got started and did business and turned a handsome profit AND SHIPPED FOR FREE.

Building,heat,lights,employees etc were all figured in before the store set the selling price.

$18.95 shipping and handling for a top punch that would fit in a business envelope is uncalled for.

When did good business practices like this stop and greed take over?

6bg6ga
04-20-2014, 10:31 AM
You have to figure in your time, gasoline, wear and tear on your vehicle and such. Retired? Your time is probably worth at least $20 an hour based on what you do around the house. So, figure $20.00 for your time and 15 miles round trip to pick up a component. Total cost would be roughly $8.40 for gas and wear and tear on the vehicle plus $20 minimum your time = total cost $28.40

So how does the shipping cost look now?

jcwit
04-20-2014, 10:54 AM
I go along with the cost of operating a car to get whatever, its why I use Amazon & e-Bay so much anymore.

I'm also retired, my time is worth $20 bucks an hour? Neh, don't think so, I do many things that don't factor in at $20 bucks an hour, just off the top of my head is time spent doing what I'm doing right now, a few others are eating, sleeping, watching tv, going to the can, my life is full of non monetary endeavors.

dragon813gt
04-20-2014, 11:02 AM
Ok, so the cost of shipping was figured into all the goods. How is that fair for someone that buys in store? Someone pays for it one way or another. And just look at the cost of doing business in the 50s compared to now. We aren't comparing apples. I don't mind paying for shipping. But when shipping becomes a profit center I question that businesses' ethics. Pay for shipping materials, pay the worker to package everything up(which includes his benefit package), and pay the shipping cost. But don't make a lot of money on top of all this. This is just how I feel about it.

The business shipping rates are pennies on the dollar compared to what we pay. I had a very good discount when I had a commercial account w/ UPS. I can only imagine how little Midway and other large retailers pay.

snaketail
04-20-2014, 11:20 AM
I live close enough to drive over the Midway and pick up my orders. Funny thing - I seem to order from Brownells these days. I got burned by Midway's shipping charges too many times to go back there.

HangFireW8
04-20-2014, 11:40 AM
Most people that want USPS Flat Rate shipping have no idea how bad it is. For selling a few items here it's fine. Shipping thousands of packages a day w/ no real time tracking w/ a company that has a penchant for losing them is a recipe for disaster. The potential money lost just hurts my brain thinking about it. Midway's shipping costs seem to be all over the place. I also find they use boxes that are to big for your order. Shipping cost is based on size and weight. W/ size being the biggest factor. Less boxes on the truck means less money they make shipping them. The UPS w/ USPS delivery at the end is the biggest joke. Your UPS tracking number stops working when they hand it off. I received the package three days later and it was handed off 10 miles away. I gladly pay the extra for UPS straight to my door.

We will see if companies start offering Fed-Ex flat rate because they now offer it. I trust them a lot more than the USPS. As long as gas prices stay high so will the shipping costs. We will know shortly how much Obamacare will effect prices of everything so hold onto your hats.

Outdated opinion. USPS had had tracking on Priority for a few months now. The UPS/USPS handoff I agree is a joke, but I've gotten a few Amazon Prime concesdions thanks to it.

HangFireW8
04-20-2014, 11:45 AM
I use a tabbed browser for each online vendor, quickly eliminate those who are out of stock and close their tabs, Winner is lowest overall cost. Lately single item or small orders have been going to ebay or Amazon more often, but occasionally even Midway wins.

xtphreak
04-20-2014, 11:49 AM
I ordered yesterday from Midway
Shipping was $10.38 with the combined UPS USPS
I used promo code NRASHOW2 And knocked $10 off of the Total.
So I paid 38 cents for shipping

bangerjim
04-20-2014, 11:56 AM
Outdated opinion. USPS had had tracking on Priority for a few months now. The UPS/USPS handoff I agree is a joke, but I've gotten a few Amazon Prime concesdions thanks to it.

USPS does offer pseudo-tracking.....and it is totally worthless. UPS had excellent tracking.......until the USPS (black hole) gets the package. Once they have their mits on it, it is totally in limbo until you actually get it. I just had a package that was 100% trakable until UPS dropped it off a the poach office. Once they had it........never saw again! The selling company admitted they had no recourse but to send me another $500 product....and ship it by FEDEX Priority NExt Day! At their expenes all the way. That is NO WAY to run a ship! It would not take many losses like that to force a company to use FEDEX all the time. This was a free shipping deal.

I just hate that hand-off garbage they do. I rearely use USPS for anything shipped (business and personal). Always use UPS and these days FEDEX Ground and business to business shipping. Cheaper/faster/better sevice!

banger

Bad Water Bill
04-20-2014, 11:58 AM
Yes USPS does have tracking SORT OF.

Every time I use it "shipping order received" pops up and stays there day after day.

It will change AFTER the mdse is in my home.

Then and only then I can see where my package wandered.

jcwit
04-20-2014, 12:51 PM
I must be one blessed pup. Orders coming to me via USPS usually have tracking, it's a rear occasion when they do not, and I'm able to track them as they move across the U.S. to my local PO, even then I know when they go on the delivery truck.

The above even holds true for shipments coming from overseas. Amazing isn't it!

BTW, I have NEVER has a package lost, even tho I receive 100's a year.

dragon813gt
04-20-2014, 01:08 PM

They've had it for more than a few months. And it isn't real time tracking. I would barely call it daily tracking. W/ UPS it shows it's last scan the minute it was scanned. W/ USPS it might be updated by the next morning. I still have packages that are showing not delivered when they were. As a company that ships tens of thousands of dollars of product a day which service would you choose?

Count yourself lucky. I tried USPS flat rate once. Package was delivered w/ a big red stamp saying "package delivered w/out contents". What type of service is that? Not only did I have to refund the money. But I lost 5k pieces of 9mm brass in the process. And I hit the black hole known as the USPS claims department. Don't even get me started on that because you never get your money back from the USPS. Never had a problem w/ claims w/ UPS and FedEx.

This is really veering off topic. But if you look at it from the point of view of a company that ships thousands of packages a week. Then you won't even consider the USPS. But there is no excuse for over packing a top lunch. Padded mailers are a wonderful thing and they should be utilized by a company like Midway.

jcwit
04-20-2014, 01:19 PM
Isn't there some rule against displaying common sense on the internet? "Bad btroj bad" <holding rolled up newspaper> :mrgreen:

I always factor in shipping costs, after all it becomes an increase in the cost of the product.

Must have something to do with in a former life I was a Procurement Officer for at the time the largest RV Manufacturer in the U.S.

Do I like to save money? Well Ya!

Springfield
04-20-2014, 01:36 PM
USPS Priority has always had tracking, but as of a couple of months ago even Parcel post(they don't call it that anymore though) has tracking. If you buy something and they mark it as "shipped" but you can't really track it is because they aren't giving you the USPS tracking #, just some # of their own. Amazon does this quite a bit, also E-bay. I have been shipping cast boolits for 8 years now by USPS Priority Flat Rate boxes and they haven't lost one yet. Damaged a few, yes, but not lost. And if you shipped brass and it all leaked out then it is because you probably stuck it in a plastic bag, threw it in the box with some newspaper and expected it to get there intact. I have received a few like that myself. At the very least the brass should be in a USPS Express Tyvek bag, nothing can tear those, and if you taped the box with some decent tape I really doubt the whole bag of brass could escape. If I order something and it is coming by USPS Priority it usually arrives in 3 days, UPS takes an average of a week, and their tracking usually sucks. Fed-Ex is worse. And the USPS is usually cheaper. All just IMHO, of course.

jcwit
04-20-2014, 01:42 PM
Just checked MidWay for 9mm plated bullets.

1,000 9mm plated bullets from Midway----------------$123.00
1,000 9mm plated bullets from Graf & Sons-----------$ 96.00

Guess who gets the order?

jcwit
04-20-2014, 01:49 PM
They've had it for more than a few months. And it isn't real time tracking. I would barely call it daily tracking. W/ UPS it shows it's last scan the minute it was scanned. W/ USPS it might be updated by the next morning. I still have packages that are showing not delivered when they were. As a company that ships tens of thousands of dollars of product a day which service would you choose?

Count yourself lucky. I tried USPS flat rate once. Package was delivered w/ a big red stamp saying "package delivered w/out contents". What type of service is that? Not only did I have to refund the money. But I lost 5k pieces of 9mm brass in the process. And I hit the black hole known as the USPS claims department. Don't even get me started on that because you never get your money back from the USPS. Never had a problem w/ claims w/ UPS and FedEx.

This is really veering off topic. But if you look at it from the point of view of a company that ships thousands of packages a week. Then you won't even consider the USPS. But there is no excuse for over packing a top lunch. Padded mailers are a wonderful thing and they should be utilized by a company like Midway.

Well like I said, never had a package lost or damaged, that's in 70 years now. Even when having my wifes glass perfume bottles shipped, that antique bottles.

For the amount of items they handle a day they do a heck of a job.

Anyone think they could do better, have at it.

dragon813gt
04-20-2014, 01:55 PM
And if you shipped brass and it all leaked out then it is because you probably stuck it in a plastic bag, threw it in the box with some newspaper and expected it to get there intact. I have received a few like that myself. At the very least the brass should be in a USPS Express Tyvek bag, nothing can tear those, and if you taped the box with some decent tape I really doubt the whole bag of brass could escape.
And this is why people get mad. Because people spout off about what they don't know. Brass was packed properly and all seams of the box were taped w/ reenforced packing tape. I had a side business for years that involved shipping car parts worldwide. I know how to properly package an item. Want to know what happens if you just throw brass in a box at UPS and ship it, it makes it there. If you've ever ordered from Starline you know that they ship the brass in a really thin plastic bag. So thin that it rips when pulling it out of the box. You have to take a whole lot of extra precautions w/ the USPS because they are horrible at package delivery. They're fine for letters. But once you get into boxes forget it. As far as my brass goes. From the pics the buyer sent me it looked like theft. It was shortly after Sandy Hook when the market was crazy. There was no way the brass could have just went missing because it wasn't going to spill out all over the place.

There is only one worse delivery service than the USPS. And that is DHl.

jcwit
04-20-2014, 02:11 PM
Sorry for your misfortune.

Happy with my experiences.

Even when it's car parts, that is heavy car parts.

shooter93
04-20-2014, 06:32 PM
I'm another who must have been blessed. Of all the stuff I've sent and received USPS Priority Mail I've never had one not show up to me or who I sent it to in the allotted time. Sometimes shipping seems high.....and don't forget the handling, the people packing it.....and maybe it is at times but I've noticed over the years that a lot of people who complain how a business is run....have never run one.

djgoings
04-21-2014, 08:55 AM
Remember when Midway had free shipping? I would order from their sales flyer and generally not shop around much. Today I still buy from Midway but also compare Brownells, Midsouth, PowerValley, Graf&Sons.

mold maker
04-21-2014, 01:16 PM

Getting away from that got us where we are today. I'm old enough to remember when the USPO and common carrier were the only choices.
BTW post cards were a penny and a letter was .03. Packages were by the ounce, and freight was by the lb. City mail was to a PO box, and you went there to pick it up. And the USPO made a profit. What a dumb idea, NOT.

monadnock#5
04-21-2014, 05:38 PM
Getting away from that got us where we are today. I'm old enough to remember when the USPO and common carrier were the only choices.
BTW post cards were a penny and a letter was .03. Packages were by the ounce, and freight was by the lb. City mail was to a PO box, and you went there to pick it up. And the USPO made a profit. What a dumb idea, NOT.

Was that before or after the workers unionized?
Competiton is good thing. Monopolies (especially governmental) are very very not good. The world has changed a lot since the Pony Express.

frkelly74
04-22-2014, 09:15 AM
As it happens, I split up my order and got the buttstock I was looking for off ebay with free shipping, The sizer die from Titan with flat rate shipping plus I added a set of handles for no extra shipping, and 9mm dies from another member for a good price, and I picked up a couple of molds and got my primer arm problem solved through some other members efforts. So If you are counting pennies then you have to be patient and keep your eyes open and things will eventually turn out well. Networking I think is what it is called.

I guess the tipping point that was originally where I got irked was as I said in the original post where $84 dollars purchase was just over $10 shipping , but $85 purchase was over $19 in shipping. I did not like the one dollar costing me an extra $9 in shipping. So i didn't buy. As it turned out, looking over what I wrote above, taking the whole list into account I could have had free shipping for the order being over $175 but I would not have had the pleasure of dealing with the network of true believers as is found on castboolits. Let the fun continue.

jonp
04-22-2014, 10:13 AM
Shipping I don't mind but excess shipping costs seems silly to me. It does cost to have people on your payroll to pull the product, box it up and attach shipping and you are going to pay for it in S+H or have it buried in the product price. I always compare prices at different online retailers. Some places charge a few bucks while another might charge $15 for the same item. I don't quite get that large a difference other than the more expensive retailer is making a few bucks on both the product price and the shipping price.
I always figure what my gas would cost to go and get the item if I can find it locally and then decide. I do order from several places including Midway, Brownells, Numrich among others and compare the prices.

garym1a2
04-22-2014, 12:36 PM
I have never lost an USPS piority shipment either. I had a box of wheel weights shipped to me, the box had been taped up since it was not packed well.
A few days later I had a single wheel weight in a plastic bag in my mail box.

I must be one blessed pup. Orders coming to me via USPS usually have tracking, it's a rear occasion when they do not, and I'm able to track them as they move across the U.S. to my local PO, even then I know when they go on the delivery truck.

The above even holds true for shipments coming from overseas. Amazing isn't it!