PDA

View Full Version : Got fed up with the Froglube pushers .

PhantomF4E
04-19-2014, 06:11 PM
Froglube is the bomb -Froglube rules- Froglube is the best - Blah-blah-yakkety-yak . Ok Told the buddies I was gonna give it a torture test that I knew would probably fail . I casted up some 9mm a couple years ago , when I was working up a new lube . Of course I made too many , I always do , but usually I don't have problems . The lube was ok, load was pretty accurate , but they leaded the heck out of my Walther P99c. I would get slivers of lead from the bore when I Choreboy'd it, nasty . I got the issue sorted out and just quit sizing the boolits , but still had a couple boxes I was saving for the apocalypse or something . SO , on to the Froglube challenge . Got a kit, treated the Walther and the bore , took it out , ran 200 (the rest of the smearing boolits I had ) Checked the bore periodically as I shot and didn't notice anything major but the normal dulling you get shooting cast and Unique . Got back home and inspected the bore closer , ran a choreboy brush through it , and what do ya know . I'm flipping impressed . Very little and very tiny barely visible bits . I would call it virtually NO leading at all . A couple passes , a patch , and shiny bore
Granted , it is a one gun test , not entirely exhaustive , but pretty darned impressive . Smells better than Ballistol too! I'm not dumping the ballistol yet , but I am going to run the rest of my 9's with it , including a carbine , and see where that takes me.

snuffy
04-19-2014, 06:30 PM
WTH is frog lube frog-lube, froglube? Why do frogs need to be lubed??☺¿

dragon813gt
04-19-2014, 06:45 PM
So you're relying on the oil in your bore to prevent leading? Or am I reading this wrong? I use Ballistol on all my firearms and have no leading because I use the proper bullet lube.

zuke
04-19-2014, 06:47 PM
It's what us Frenchmen use

PhantomF4E
04-19-2014, 06:56 PM
Trust me , I have made all those comments . However I gotta steal the frenchmen line ... Excellent . No I don't rely on it , I just tested it . I have been at this stuff too long to put a bonafide stamp on anything . It worked very well in this instance , with something I had that reacted one way without, and another way with . That's it . Like I said , ain't dumping my ballistol. Heck I'm almost as old as ballistol lol . It just might be an option for some folks to give a whirl . It isn't really an oil either . Some kind of minty fresh , non toxic stuff that works its way into the metal . I just found that it really seems to work as advertised , which is something we don't come across too often .
http://froglube.com/

62chevy
04-19-2014, 07:01 PM
WTH is frog lube frog-lube, froglube? Why do frogs need to be lubed??☺¿

No he used loobe but sized them wrong which caused leading and not sizing solved the problem. The frog lube help eliminate leading on the remaining 200 rounds he had.

geargnasher
04-19-2014, 07:07 PM
I wonder if those boolits just age-hardened in the couple of years since you loaded them, or if the FL actually helped the lead dust from gas cutting just blow out without sticking.

Remember the PB Blocker stuff? It was supposed to prevent lead from sticking if you warmed the barrel and swabbed that stuff through it. Didn't work at all for me, but it was different stuff than FL for sure. There may be some validity to the concept yet, with the right "stuff".

Gear

DougGuy
04-19-2014, 07:24 PM
If somebody can figure out a way to make soft lube using frog lube, you could lube the boolit and season the bore with every shot fired. I would definitely be game to trying that. It could be to the bore what RainX is to a windshield.. Good stuffs..

freebullet
04-19-2014, 07:26 PM
I was thinking age hardening as I read his post too.

Guy at the gun show tried giving me a hard sell on frog lube. I told him giving me a sample to try would be a better way to sell it if it works like he claims. He didn't give me a sample & I ain't tried it. I don't have to buy anything "for" gun lube. Always have grease and oil in the shop its always worked good for mine. 10$ to try a couple ounces seems ridiculous to me.

tomme boy
04-19-2014, 08:03 PM
Most people I know have taken the FL and threw it in the trash. It gums up everything when it is cold out. You do know that it is meant for lubing a roller coaster rails right?

DougGuy
04-19-2014, 08:07 PM
freebullet, I was skeptical too, but I ponied up and bought a bottle. The stuff has one amazing property, it can and will spread like anti-sieze. Anti-sieze = you use it at work on bolts and nuts, sparingly, you wash your hands, clean everything, making SURE there is none of it on you, get in your truck, and there is a blob of it on the seat. Go figure..

I can put one single drop on each slide rail, and it completely covers both rails and even the locking lugs by the next time I look at it. The stuff moves. It crawls, it creeps, it permeates anything and everything it comes in contact with. One thing about lubricant, it does absolutely no good on the parts that aren't rubbing, a lubricant has to be on the parts that touch and create friction, and the frog lube does find a way of coating those places. Other than that, I have no idea if it really does what they say it does or not, but no other gun oil creeps around like it does.

cbrick
04-19-2014, 08:08 PM
10 Posts and I still have no idea what frog lube is.

Rick

wlc
04-19-2014, 08:17 PM
Frog lube is one of those latest greatest gun lubes. Supposed to be the magic voodoo of cleaning and lubricating your firearms. Biodegradable, non-toxic etc.

http://froglube.com/

DougGuy
04-19-2014, 08:19 PM
Rick it is some over advertised lube that some guy invented or discovered, figured out he could make a lot more $$ if he "sold" shooters on the idea of a. the solvent, b. frog lube, and they hyped the daylights out of this stuff. I can't say it don't work, can't say it does, I got some of it and tried it and well, I don't really know what to say about it other than I use it here and there and it seems to do okay.

cbrick
04-19-2014, 08:25 PM
Ok, gun lube. I went back to re-read the OP. Gun lube not boolit lube?

I've tried too many latest greatest space age whiz bang stuff over the years, think I'll let the frogs keep it.

Rick

TXGunNut
04-19-2014, 08:44 PM
Amphibian version of snake oil, I guess.

62chevy
04-19-2014, 08:46 PM
Ok, gun lube. I went back to re-read the OP. Gun lube not boolit lube?

I've tried too many latest greatest space age whiz bang stuff over the years, think I'll let the frogs keep it.

Rick

Amen plus it's way over prised.

jmort
04-19-2014, 08:54 PM
There three non-toxic CLPs that I use are Ballistol, Frog Lube and Gunzilla. All of these work real good. Will never give up on Ballistol. Got a half gallon on the way.

dragon813gt
04-19-2014, 08:54 PM
Not going to change my life style to use their product as they say it should be used. "You must do this and not do this " What a PITA
Same road with balistol.... not believing it Nice idea........ but!

Where does Ballistol say "you have to do this but don't do that." You wipe/spray it on everything and you're done. It's not a great powder solvent but it's a better CLP then CLP. Plus there are no harsh chemicals in it. This is off topic but I started using Ballistol last year on everything and won't be w/out it now.

W.R.Buchanan
04-19-2014, 10:06 PM
OK guys, too many of you are under-informed on this stuff. Frog Lube really is THAT GOOD!

I have been using it for the last two years and have been converting all of my guns to it.

First: It is slick as snot!

Second: It prevents rust completely.

There are two basic types. Liquid and Paste. The paste is simply thicker liquid.

What you do with the stuff is clean your gun parts and then smear the Frog Lube on. Then heat the parts with a heat gun which opens the pores of the metal and the Frog Lube penetrates into those pores and stays there. Or you can lay them out in the sun or use a hair dryer. You put it on everything on the gun. I use a small artists paint brush or a Q-tip to apply the stuff.

You then wipe off the excess and use the rag for wiping down guns after you handle them if you don't want to waste any.

Once treated with this stuff the sliding surfaces are noticeably slicker, the gun will not rust no matter if you leave it in a bucket of water. Our distributor in SoCal has a 1911 that has all of the bluing removed. The gun was treated several years ago and lives in a bucket of water while at gun shows. When the show is over she dumps the water out and puts the gun in the bucket until the next show. It is the slickest 1911 I have ever handled!, and there is not one perfect Iota of rust anywhere on that gun and I have seen it probably 5 times in the last two years.

I did my Glock 35 first two years ago. I did every part. When I racked the slide the first time after reassembling I almost ripped the slide off the gun. It was so much slicker it was ridiculous! I have not cleaned this gun beyond wiping the powder residue off the outside and inside with a paper towel. Probably 2000 rounds fired.

Nothing sticks to this stuff!

They also have $1 sample tubes of the stuff and I used 1/2 of one to do both the G35 and then my G21. A little goes a long way.

I am slowly converting all of my guns to this lubricant. Even my high $ shotguns. It is that good!

I realize that some may be skeptical of new fangled things like replacements for oil and grease. But in this case the stuff works better and it damn sure smells better.

This is one you really should try. If you go big and buy the $25 kit it contains a tub of paste and a bottle of liquid and a rag. It will last you for the rest of your life unless you spill it.

I know that I have convinced most all of you by now, so just do it!

The stuff really works! YMMV if you can't follow instructions.

Randy

Jesse Early
04-19-2014, 11:07 PM
I will speak for Frog Lube. It comes in a tub like a car wax. It has a mint smell. The stuff absorbs into the metal and does a great job. I use it on my AR, AK, 1911, and Enfield. Never treated my barrel with it but as a gun lube it is good to go.

fastfire
04-19-2014, 11:13 PM
Frog lube,Used it on the AR15, gummed it up in cold weather tossed mine, snake oil!
But smells good though.

jmort
04-19-2014, 11:20 PM
That is one of the advantages of Ballistol, cold weather performance. The Hickock45 video of him using Ballistol on his Glock shows how it should be done.

swheeler
04-19-2014, 11:31 PM
]I wonder if those boolits just age-hardened in the couple of years [/COLOR]since you loaded them, or if the FL actually helped the lead dust from gas cutting just blow out without sticking.

Remember the PB Blocker stuff? It was supposed to prevent lead from sticking if you warmed the barrel and swabbed that stuff through it. Didn't work at all for me, but it was different stuff than FL for sure. There may be some validity to the concept yet, with the right "stuff".

Gear

I doubt it, those bullets would have age SOFTENED in a couple years, not continued to harden! They may have age hardened for a couple WEEKs but it's all down hill from there, it may be a slow process but they soften after reaching maximum hardness in the first two weeks. More cyber myths/wives tales:veryconfu

RedHawk357Mag
04-20-2014, 01:19 AM
Haven't used yet. But each time at store looking for powder I also look for Frog Lube. I know this is You tube and I know it's the Internet but...I am going to give it a try as soon as i find a place with free shipping on in a brick and mortar. This is what sold me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KCHARdTCjE

M-Tecs
04-20-2014, 02:36 AM
If anyone else is tossing the Frog Lube please send it my way.

The more I use it the more I like it. I have had the same results as W.R.Buchanan posted above. I first started using it on my 1911’s with great results. Same for my AR’s.

This winter I ran it in my Benelli Super Black Eagle for late season goose hunting. The temps went down to minus 23 without issue. This year it will be used on everything.

For other than BP I have long since dumped Ballistol for EEZOX http://eezox.com/gun-care.html

Eezox is a very impressive product. If Frog Lube out performs it I will become a fan boy.

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

Most of the problems people have with it are due to one of two things; they either do not get all of the petroleum products off of the gun before using it, or they put too much on and do not wipe off the excess. Either will cause the FL to gum up and not work correctly.

FL works like car wax; you should not be able to see any of it after wiping it off. If you can see paste or liquid, you are using it wrong. Just like car wax, you can feel the difference in the metal after using it. It is smooth and slick. As soon as you shoot, it turns into a nice liquid lubricant that repels carbon (water and oil don’t mix). That makes clean up a breeze. The bulk of the carbon wipes off of the gun with a rag. The remaining carbon comes right off with a little more FL and a patch.

AMT7
04-20-2014, 03:09 AM
Frog lube,Used it on the AR15, gummed it up in cold weather tossed mine, snake oil!
But smells good though.

We have frog lube on over 12 guns from new .223/ 5.56 m4's x6, 2x 6.8 spc m4's, a Sig p238, Shield 9mm, Walther pps 9mm, Tanflugio 10mm, and shot all on weather below 40F but not below 30F. All performrd very well. But we applied the liquid only sparingly and heated. What its made from will get thicker with temp drop when applied too thick as I did a bit if a test. Guy on another forum did a panel outdoor test over the winter against several other lubes. Frog lube was the clear winner. Ballistol may be best for folks shooting in coldest weather that do not use so much precision in lube application. Just our experiences.

leftiye
04-20-2014, 06:05 AM
It's what you get fer reading the can.

dikman
04-20-2014, 08:18 AM
Ah, another one of them thar "metal-seasoning" products........

Doc Highwall
04-20-2014, 10:22 AM
I bought the paste and I used it on a AR with a dedicated Spikes 22 Lr. conversion. First I dissembled and cleaned/degreased the gun (bought the upper used) then I placed a dab of the paste where I wanted it and used a 900 degree paint stripper to apply heat to melt the paste. All I can say is the gun works a lot better with the Frog Lube then other lubes and with the blow back operation of a 22rf round the crud can build up faster then a center fire. Until I find something better I will continue to use the Frog Lube.

tomme boy
04-20-2014, 10:47 AM
Explain how the pores OPEN up in metal?

Old Caster
04-20-2014, 11:01 AM

It works the same as a thermos. It keeps stuff cold and it keeps stuff hot. How do it know.
:kidding:

dragon813gt
04-20-2014, 11:06 AM

I think he used the term incorrectly. Steel is porous by nature. When you heat the lube up it will seep into the pores unlike a paste which just stays on top. I'm not a frog lube detractor. I've had to many failures w/ grease like lubes. And all of them were during cold weather. Lube is like a religion so use what works best for you. I'm always open to new ideas. But most of them fall flat on their face.

Doc Highwall
04-20-2014, 11:10 AM
The directions for the Frog Lube say to heat the gun up like in direct sun which is enough heat to melt even the paste, I only used the heat gun because I am inpatient some times.

JimA
04-20-2014, 01:08 PM
I finally bought into the FL pitch about a year ago. It's good stuff. You have to follow directions and clean all metal surfaces, heat up the metal, apply all over and let cool. When cool wipe off everything well and reassemble. Powder fowling wipes off with no solvent and when I do need something in the bore, it's FL liquid.
Leaves your hands "minty fresh" when you're done.;-)

W.R.Buchanan
04-20-2014, 01:25 PM
Fastfire: If your gun gummed up you put too much on and didn't wipe off the excess. Simple as that. follow the instructions.

Quote from M-Tecs above.

Most of the problems people have with it are due to one of two things; they either do not get all of the petroleum products off of the gun before using it, or they put too much on and do not wipe off the excess. Either will cause the FL to gum up and not work correctly.

FL works like car wax; you should not be able to see any of it after wiping it off. If you can see paste or liquid, you are using it wrong. Just like car wax, you can feel the difference in the metal after using it. It is smooth and slick. As soon as you shoot, it turns into a nice liquid lubricant that repels carbon (water and oil don’t mix). That makes clean up a breeze. The bulk of the carbon wipes off of the gun with a rag. The remaining carbon comes right off with a little more FL and a patch.

tommeboy: Metal expands when heated.

It has a "Surface Profile" or roughness (pores) which is generally microscopic (This is what paint sticks to.)

When heated the surface expands which opens the pores and also liquefies the Frog Lube which flows into the depressions. Some of the lubricant is left behind after the excess is wiped off. As the gun heats up from firing the FL melts and provides lubrication.

If you really have had problems with Frog Lube then you didn't follow the instructions, I know this to be a fact, simply because I did follow the instructions, and the stuff performed perfectly.

AR's are the toughest firearms on lubricants that there is. They are finicky and will malfunction if not lubricated properly or kept wet enough. This stuff was made for those guns and both my Kel Tec SU16 and Bushmaster Carbon 15 run so much more reliably on the stuff than they ever did on OIL. My Mossberg 500 is three times slicker with the Frog lube than it ever was with grease.

When I got my Springfield M2 I completely disassembled it and removed all dried up grease from 1935, and redid the whole gun with Frog Lube. It will never rust again, and is so slick when operating the bolt I can do it with my finger tips.

My Browning Citori Sporting Clays Edition O/U in .410 came to me essentially new (70 rounds fired) It was stiff to open and packed with dried synthetic grease. It got the Frog Lube treatment as well and now opens and closed smoothly and with half the effort previously required. This gun was $2000 and I would not hesitate to use the Frog Lube of a $25,000 Kreighoff should one appear at my house after my retirement. (good chance! actually)

I have several other CLP type lubricants in my shop and I use all of them here and there. I have SEAL, Ballistol, Frog Lube, and several others that I have gotten as samples at the SHOT Show and other smaller gun shows. I use the Frog Lube on my guns. I use the other stuff on my machines including reloading presses (Dillon550's runs real slick on Frog Lube) or any sliding surface. I also use the others for rust inhibitors on reloading dies and any place you would normally use oil.

I will give you a heads up on my posts here and elsewhere. I don't endorse bad products. In fact I pretty much call them what they are to the limits of the profanity filter on the site.

This stuff is "that good!"

Randy

quasi
04-20-2014, 11:15 PM
Frog Lube is expensively packaged Soy Lube 100.

jmort
04-20-2014, 11:26 PM
Thinking Frog Lube is the answer to rust prevention is a mistake. It do seem like it may be the same as or similar to the Soy Lube mentioned. It is crazy expensive, but most "firearms"relabeled products are crazy expensive.

Reloader06
04-21-2014, 12:18 AM
I could not agree with Randy more. I find the stuff amazing. I've been using it for a couple of years. The trick is to follow the directions. I used rubbing alcohol to remove the petroleum Let it dry then heat with a cheap HF heat gun and apply. I'll let it sit for awhile then wipe it of and patch it out. It does seem to have the patches come out a little dirty after letting it sit, but I attribute that to getting the carbon out of the "pores".

Use it, don't use it. the choice is yours. My stuff runs MUCH better with just a little FL.

This is where I got it from:http://www.botach.com/products/froglube-clp-bio-based-cleaner-lubricant-preservative-kits.html

Matt;-)

hickfu
04-21-2014, 12:33 AM
hmm, maybe I will give it a shot on my 1911 and XD45 and 9mm... Maybe on the reloading presses as well
Where would I get this stuff?

Doc

leeggen
04-21-2014, 12:55 AM
So it is like the old "Slick 50" magic miracle lube and protectant for engines?
Ummmm sized right and lubed works 99% of the time.
CD

snuffy
04-21-2014, 03:41 AM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/660304/froglube-clp-bio-based-cleaner-lubricant-and-preservative-4-oz-liquid?cm_vc=ProductFinding

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/314758/froglube-clp-bio-based-cleaner-lubricant-and-preservative-4-oz-paste?cm_vc=ProductFinding

This stuff sounds impressive. I may just put some of the liquid on my next midway order. To do it correctly I'd have to get a heat gun, but I've needed one for a while now anyway. Right now I'm using eezox, very happy with it.

a.squibload
04-21-2014, 04:51 AM
Wanna know why it's so expensive?
Ever try to get a frog to blow his nose?
Besides, those little bitty kleenexes are gettin' hard to find.

Been using Eezox 'cause a friend gave me some for Christmas,
works pretty good. Also use Kroil & other stuff.
Never heard of any lube that wants to be left wet & sloppy,
except if it's contained, like wheel grease, etc.

Ghost101
04-21-2014, 05:25 AM
I was turned onto this stuff by a Navy EOD. Said it was designed by a retired Seal for use in salt water an the harsh environment that our guys are in today. I have used it in everything I have. Works wonders on AR bolts. The carbon just wipes off. I don't worry about rust being an issue with all my BP guns anymore either. I use a cheap hair dryer to heat up the metal an the FrogLube. If using the liquid be sure to shake it up first. I won't say that it's the best stuff out there, but then again it's the best that I have tried. Sure looks good with a Hawkeye bore scope after cleaning.
I turn a friend who is a Fleo unto this stuff. Showed him how to use it. He puts his equipment thru hell during training. His weapons get treated much harder then I would want to do to mine. He trains in rain, snow, mud, dirt an sand. He loves the stuff an likes that he doesn't spend as much time cleaning as he once did.

Ghost101

Side by Side
04-21-2014, 08:26 AM
I used Frog Lube for a year, worked great in every way, but didn't protect from rust. I noticed rust on one of my most used handguns, thought I needed to apply every-time I used the gun, so I tried that. Still had rust, Tossed the stuff and went back to my CLP that has never let me down.

tomme boy
04-21-2014, 11:27 AM
It was not designed by a Navy Seal. It was designed for lubing on a roller coaster.

brstevns
04-21-2014, 11:32 AM
How do you push a frog thru a sizer die? :lol:

Cloudwraith
04-21-2014, 12:48 PM
I know I'm a relative "newbie" to the forum and none of you know me from Adam but I'm also a FrogLube convert. Originally used Ballistol and loved it but the smell gave me a headache. Switched to FL a few years ago and I'll say it works very close to Ballistol in the cleaning department and smells much better. I use it on my bolt guns, my AR, and all my pistols.

I don't run my guns into the ground or use them in harsh environments but they are always very easy to clean after my range visits.

I recently tried using it as a bullet mold lube. Don't have enough data on it yet as I've only done one casting session with it but so far so good.

The worst part of FrogLube is carrying concealed right after I've cleaned my EDC and having people ask me if I'm wearing icyhot or bengay or making some other remark about minty smells. ;)

Smoke4320
04-21-2014, 04:04 PM
I know I'm a relative "newbie" to the forum and none of you know me from Adam but I'm also a FrogLube convert. Originally used Ballistol and loved it but the smell gave me a headache. Switched to FL a few years ago and I'll say it works very close to Ballistol in the cleaning department and smells much better. I use it on my bolt guns, my AR, and all my pistols.

I don't run my guns into the ground or use them in harsh environments but they are always very easy to clean after my range visits.

I recently tried using it as a bullet mold lube. Don't have enough data on it yet as I've only done one casting session with it but so far so good.

The worst part of FrogLube is carrying concealed right after I've cleaned my EDC and having people ask me if I'm wearing icyhot or bengay or making some other remark about minty smells. ;)

At least they are not saying your Fruity :)

W.R.Buchanan
04-21-2014, 05:42 PM
There will always be naysayers, no matter how good a product is. Their tales of failure always directly contradict the vast majority of real users with direct experience in use, and usually there is only one instance where that failure occurred. So they dump the product.

These guys are very principled individuals who didn't vote for Romney because he was too liberal, and didn't vote for McCain because he wasn't Ron Paul. They were making a statement!

Here's what I say,,,
If you don't like it, don't use it!
If you can't understand instructions then Don't use it!
If you did use it, but didn't follow the instructions and it didn't work,,, I really don't need to hear about it.

You will never get 100% agreement on anything. There are people who would argue that the sun isn't coming up in the east tomorrow?

I don't follow them.

Randy

dverna
04-21-2014, 06:08 PM
Randy,

I was wondering why you posted that thread about "Awareness and Intelligence". Now I understand. LOL

Don Verna

DougGuy
04-21-2014, 10:36 PM
Okay, so it is "Awareness and Intelligence" you want? Here's a good heads up on both..

DO NOT USE FROG LUBE IN THE STRIKER CHANNEL OR ON OR NEAR THE FIRING PIN OF AN AUTOLOADER!

THIS is what FROG LUBE will cause to happen! You must be made AWARE of this, and INTELLIGENT enough to prevent it from happening.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Kahr%20CW45/DSC02015_zps41ab3668.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Kahr%20CW45/DSC02015_zps41ab3668.jpg.html)

Frog Lube works good. It permeates, it creeps and crawls into pores in the metal, it does what they claim it will do, BUT.. DO NOT allow Frog Lube anywhere near live ammo in a magazine, cylinder, chamber, because it works SO good, it will permeate the primer, and you can see photographic proof of what it will do to that primer. This is still a LIVE ROUND which FTF because Frog Lube killed the primer.

This is my edc, a Kahr CW45 auto. I had put ONE single drop of Frog Lube in the rear of the striker channel to lube the moving parts in there. Well, it did just that. Tomorrow I will hose this upper out with brake clean and blow it dry, and the only Frog Lube that will go on this entire pistol, is one tiny drop applied to each slide rail. That's it.

Ghost101
04-22-2014, 05:47 AM
Well How do those "roller coasters" like the stuff ?

Ghost101

Moonie
04-22-2014, 09:57 AM
My middle son and I got some and he put it on one of his AR's, it works well on it. I used it on my compact 1911 as I carry it every day. It hasn't functioned properly since. FTF's ever since. I've replaced the magazine and spring, no difference. I need to clean it off so I can start carrying it again. The gun was flawless prior to application. I followed the directions for application to the letter, as did my son on his. Not saying it doesn't work, but that pistol certainly doesn't like it. On the up side, haven't had any corrosion issues with it since.

Doc Highwall
04-22-2014, 10:22 AM
Moonie, on your 1911 compact what kind of ammo are you using and what kind of FTF's are you experiencing?

DougGuy
04-22-2014, 10:45 AM
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Kahr%20CW45/DSC02015_zps41ab3668.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Kahr%20CW45/DSC02015_zps41ab3668.jpg.html)

This is my edc, a Kahr CW45 auto. I had put ONE single drop of Frog Lube in the rear of the striker channel to lube the moving parts in there. Well, it did just that. Tomorrow I will hose this upper out with brake clean and blow it dry, and the only Frog Lube that will go on this entire pistol, is one tiny drop applied to each slide rail. That's it.

I changed my mind, it will get NO Frog Lube anywhere.

M-Tecs
04-22-2014, 11:22 AM
If anyone wants to get rid of their Frog Lube I will pay postage.

Kent Fowler
04-22-2014, 01:19 PM

I see what you did there.

Kent Fowler
04-22-2014, 01:26 PM
So it is like the old "Slick 50" magic miracle lube and protectant for engines?
Ummmm sized right and lubed works 99% of the time.
CD

That Slick 50 was the devil. Had a Ford motor back then that blew 4 oil filters off at the flange on the way back from a hunting trip. We pulled the motor when we got home and found the pressure relief valve on the oil pump full of white hard goop. It's a wonder we had any bearings left. First and last experience with the slick stuff.

W.R.Buchanan
04-22-2014, 02:44 PM
Don Verna. You can't sell anything to everyone. It is physically impossible for all of the above reasons.

Randy

Land Owner
04-22-2014, 03:17 PM
...you could lube the boolit and season the bore with every shot fired... [emphasis added]

...when thoroughly heated, lay barrel on plate, fillet with sharp knife, and Bon Appetit!

Moonie
04-24-2014, 11:09 AM
Moonie, on your 1911 compact what kind of ammo are you using and what kind of FTF's are you experiencing?

Lee 230 TC (normal lube groove), Lee 200gr SWC (normal lube groove) and MIHEC 200gr HP.

Doc Highwall
04-24-2014, 02:46 PM
Moonie, I should have also asked what your load was like in powder charge etc. On the FTF what is the gun doing or not doing? Does it fail to eject the fired round or what?

jonas302
04-24-2014, 08:16 PM
Well reckon if its still for sale in 10-20 years I might pick some up only time will tell

engineer401
04-24-2014, 08:27 PM
I've used it on semi autos and revolvers and it does well. I wish it came in larger containers.

JimA
04-25-2014, 11:25 AM
Okay, so it is "Awareness and Intelligence" you want? Here's a good heads up on both..

DO NOT USE FROG LUBE IN THE STRIKER CHANNEL OR ON OR NEAR THE FIRING PIN OF AN AUTOLOADER!

THIS is what FROG LUBE will cause to happen! You must be made AWARE of this, and INTELLIGENT enough to prevent it from happening.

Frog Lube works good. It permeates, it creeps and crawls into pores in the metal, it does what they claim it will do, BUT.. DO NOT allow Frog Lube anywhere near live ammo in a magazine, cylinder, chamber, because it works SO good, it will permeate the primer, and you can see photographic proof of what it will do to that primer. This is still a LIVE ROUND which FTF because Frog Lube killed the primer.

How do you know that wasn't just a dead primer? I have coated every part of my pistols (including 4 Kahrs) with FR and have never had that happen. I have had a couple dud factory rounds long before I ever heard of Frog Lube.

Cadillo
04-26-2014, 01:00 AM
I agree Jim. One failure to fire blamed on gun oil?

After too many years to count, I finally got a bad Winchester primer. I hit it four times with no luck. Deader than easy credit.

Bad primers happen sometimes, and no, I've never used frog lube. I like my frogs fried!

Petrol & Powder
04-26-2014, 08:28 AM

Thanks, I just blew coffee out of my nose !

Petrol & Powder
04-26-2014, 08:34 AM
Amphibian version of snake oil, I guess.

Probably the BEST description possible.

Petrol & Powder
04-26-2014, 08:38 AM
How do you push a frog thru a sizer die? :lol:

Very carefully......:lol:

Petrol & Powder
04-26-2014, 09:07 AM
OK, everyone has their favorite gun oil/grease/cleaner etc. and I'm no exception. I'm not going to say that we've reached the pinnacle of gun lubrication products but I will say that we seemed to have come pretty damn close. There are some basic divisions between types of lubricating products and the particular niche they fill (light oil, grease, wax, added lithium, added Teflon, etc.) but MOST of the hype is just pure marketing.
I've known people that used nothing but Hoppes #9 and Hoppes gun oil for decades with no problems. I've known people that cleaned guns with kerosene and used 3 in 1 oil or ATF for lube and had zero issues. I've seen more than one old gun lightly coated with wheel bearing grease and stored in a sock and one government issued and later "liberated" - 1911 wrapped in an oiled rag and stored in a BARN! It was fine despite the Connecticut winters and proximity to Long Island Sound.
There are some very good gun care products out there but we quickly reach a point of diminishing returns when we part with ever larger sums of our money in the hopes of getting some magic oil that is just a little bit better. It's easy to succumb to marketing and convince yourself that you got something a lot better, even when all you did was spend more money.

Pablo 5959
04-26-2014, 12:55 PM
Here's a little reading material on lubes by someone that may know a thing or two about the subject.:coffee:
Pablo
http://grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

Petrol & Powder
04-26-2014, 05:48 PM
Here's a little reading material on lubes by someone that may know a thing or two about the subject.:coffee:
Pablo
http://grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

Wow, that's surprisingly close to what I wrote :?
Go figure.....

62chevy
04-26-2014, 08:58 PM
OK, everyone has their favorite gun oil/grease/cleaner etc. and I'm no exception. I'm not going to say that we've reached the pinnacle of gun lubrication products but I will say that we seemed to have come pretty damn close. There are some basic divisions between types of lubricating products and the particular niche they fill (light oil, grease, wax, added lithium, added Teflon, etc.) but MOST of the hype is just pure marketing.
I've known people that used nothing but Hoppes #9 and Hoppes gun oil for decades with no problems. I've known people that cleaned guns with kerosene and used 3 in 1 oil or ATF for lube and had zero issues. I've seen more than one old gun lightly coated with wheel bearing grease and stored in a sock and one government issued and later "liberated" - 1911 wrapped in an oiled rag and stored in a BARN! It was fine despite the Connecticut winters and proximity to Long Island Sound.
There are some very good gun care products out there but we quickly reach a point of diminishing returns when we part with ever larger sums of our money in the hopes of getting some magic oil that is just a little bit better. It's easy to succumb to marketing and convince yourself that you got something a lot better, even when all you did was spend more money.

Used Hoppe's #9 since the 50s as a kid with my Dad and still using it and Hoppe's gun oil. If you look at the label of 3n1 oil it reads the same as Hoppe's gun oil so ya when I can't get Hoppe's then 3n1 works well. The gun smith down the street from me uses Hoppe's #9, it's evident the second you walk in the door.

M-Tecs
04-27-2014, 02:03 PM
There is no single magic answer for a best firearms care products. Some of the product we use are true CLP’s (cleaners, lubricants and preservatives) but most fulfill one roll better than others.

The lubrication requirements of firearms are not very demanding. Most products toted a gun care products do work but some do work better than others. The requirements that a competitive shooter has maybe different than a weekend hunter has. A product that works at 90 degrees may not at minus 20. The sea duck hunter corrosion preventions needs are different than someone living in the desert. Some product maybe snake oil but to believe that they are basically equal is naïve. The test below highlight some of the differences. What is good enough or adequate for your requirements is the question.

http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?103924-Corrosion-Testing-(New-Pics-5-08-12)

http://www.chuckhawks.com/gun_lubes.htm

http://www.frfrogspad.com/cleaners.htm

http://www.castpics.net/subsite/Lube/SlickTest.html

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/12/chris-dumm/video-froglube-m-pro-7-rand-clp-corrosion-test-patriot36/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KCHARdTCjE

Now back to the Frog Lube. Through the years I have tried a very large number of the gun care products. Some the money was well spent and some not so much. For me Frog Lube was money well spent. On a side note the local cowboy action shooters are going nuts over Frog Lube claiming noticeable increase in slickness of their lever guns and Winchester 97’s.

a.squibload
04-29-2014, 03:37 PM
My gun has pressurized air bearings on all moving parts, no lubes to attract dirt.

'Course I might look a little funny dragging that compressor around...

Moonie
04-30-2014, 09:37 AM
Moonie, I should have also asked what your load was like in powder charge etc. On the FTF what is the gun doing or not doing? Does it fail to eject the fired round or what?

Ejects just fine, multiple different powders and charges, all function perfectly in the 3 other 1911's in the family. They all eject just fine, fail to fully feed, a bump on the back or pull it back slightly and it will then feed. This firearm had no issues prior to the frog lube application.

All other 1911's get an Eds red compatible lube consisting mostly of ATF with a little STP added.

snuffy
05-03-2014, 11:12 AM
I got a 4 FL-OZ bottle of the liquid. First sniff told me it is mainly Wintergreen Oil. Thompson Center has used W.O. in their natural lube for BP patches and conical bullet lube. They make the same claims as the froggies, it seasons the bore and protects the outside of the barrels.

I'm going to give my CZ 75B a bath in the ultrasonic cleaner, then treat the entire gun with the froglube. I generally shoot it quite a bit each range trip, so it's a chance to give it a good test. I got a paint stripper heat gun at wally world so I can warm it up to follow the destructions to a "T".

One strike against the packaging, the pop cap is supposed to have a hinge at the back, it broke at the first opening! Grrrr. Yeah, I know, I'll get some cheese to go with my whine!:(

M-Tecs
05-11-2014, 10:07 PM
Great link here

Here's an interesting and thorough look at the efficacy of gun oils.

It took the guy a lot of time and effort to put together, and it's worth the read:

Gun oils (http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/141077-Results-of-gun-care-product-evaluation)

I found it interesting.

dale in Louisiana
(a big fan of Ed's Red)