PDA

View Full Version : Carrying while driving?

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-19-2014, 01:28 PM

nicholst55
04-19-2014, 01:46 PM
Have you considered a crossdraw belt holster? A right-hand conventional belt holster is virtually useless when you're wearing a seatbelt, but a crossdraw holster would still allow access to the gun.

I wear a RH belt slide holster when I'm outside the vehicle, and transfer the gun to a kydex holster mounted under the steering column while I drive. As long as I don't forget to switch when I get out of the vehicle, I'm golden!

LUBEDUDE
04-19-2014, 04:30 PM
When I drive for long periods I want to be comfortable. This means shedding hardware, except for my backup in case of roadside emergency. That way at least something is on me.

In your case, you're driving way more than the average bear. Mitch Rosen holsters and I believe Galco make a CarJack rig. These are easy on/off rigs that fit cross draw style onto your seatbelt. Thus it is pretty hard to forget to transfer the gun to your Primary carry holster when you get out of the truck.

If you get pulled over or pull into a weigh station, keep a towel handy to slip your gun under.

starmac
04-19-2014, 06:08 PM
Being a driver myself, I would work on my memory instead of worrying about concealed carry while I am driving.

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-19-2014, 07:02 PM

Bad Water Bill
04-19-2014, 07:07 PM
Being a driver myself, I would work on my memory instead of worrying about concealed carry while I am driving.

Could be a little embarrassing when you find yourself in St Petersburg Fl and your bill says St Paul Mn.:oops::oops::oops:

freebullet
04-19-2014, 07:10 PM
A strong side iwb with some forward cant should work. I can still get mine out when carried that way, even in a smaller car type seat. You could hide the commander in the truck and carry a pocket gun everywhere. Sig p238/p938 would be good highly concealable options.

I've never been a fan of shoulder holsters. They require the cover garment, and leave you at a disadvantage on the draw with close encounters.

tomme boy
04-19-2014, 07:59 PM
I am on the heavy side and I drive a lot too. Not that much. I carry IWB at 4 o'clock position. It is the most comfortable I have found. Just make sure the leather goes up high enough to block the whole upper part of the gun.

MtGun44
04-19-2014, 08:13 PM
Crossdraw under an untucked shirt should be most comfortable and accessible.
IMO, shoulder holsters never hide anything, except in the movies.

Bill

waksupi
04-19-2014, 08:53 PM
I might have just the thing for you. Nice cross draw holster for a Combat Commander. Basket weave tooling, very little wear. I don't drive much! This one was made specifically for driving. The belt loop is slightly longer than others, so it has some pivot room. This one was made by a guy here in Montana. If you would be interested at $40 shipped, drop me a PM.

Rick Hodges
04-19-2014, 09:18 PM
I carried a Gov't model in a ******* rig daily for a couple of years. Shoulder rigs get real uncomfortable after a few hours. 4-6 hours is about the most I can take without discomfort. For driving think crossdraw.

Ajax
04-20-2014, 06:16 AM
if you already wear vests on occassion why not go with a concealed carry vest.

Andy

Petrol & Powder
04-20-2014, 08:10 AM
I've never been fond of switching a gun from the vehicle to your person, I want the gun on me so that it goes where I go. I understand the desire for comfort when you're in a vehicle for long periods of time but there are just too many moving parts to switching back and forth between a holster mounted to the vehicle and one on me.
I also want the gun in the same place all of the time.
I think a crossdraw rig would be the best compromise between comfort and consistency.

doc1876
04-20-2014, 11:04 AM
I have a shoulder rig, and my 1911 just fell out of it when I bent over. It is one that does not have the snap, so I really never give it a thought. And yes, after a few hours, it gets to be a pain in the shoulders. I have a belt rig made by Alfonsos, and I liked it so well I duplicated it. It is a straight up draw, but it is the most comfortable one I have had.

As far as memory goes, I really recommend Lecithin Ultra Complex from a place called Puritans Pride. I take 3 a day, and amaze myself the things that I can remember.

starmac
04-20-2014, 11:50 AM
Are you driving regional, is your ccl good to go in all the states you normally drive in??

w5pv
04-20-2014, 11:54 AM
I wear bib overalls and keep my weapon in the bib pocket.If it prints a little slip a piece of stiff leather or a peice of cardboard in front.

TXGunNut
04-20-2014, 11:59 AM
I wore a Sam Browne while driving for so many years that my little strong side concealment rig is not an issue. I've considered a crossdraw rig for a bird's head SAA but I think that would be a little tougher to conceal outside the vehicle. A shoulder rig is tough to get adjusted correctly and even then most folks find them uncomfortable after just a few hours.

BruceB
04-20-2014, 02:21 PM
[QUOTE=Petrol & Powder;2744872]I want the gun on me so that it goes where I go. QUOTE

Absolutely correct. If the gun is not ON YOUR BODY, you don't have" the gun.

My daughter violently rolled her Jeep Liberty in city traffic one day, with her 9mm in the console. A cop responding to the location found the gun down a slope and away from the totaled Jeep.... "Here's your gun, Ma'am."

One of the FBI agents in the "Miami Shootout" LOST his revolver because it was jolted from the car seat where he'd placed it 'to be ready'. This removed him from the fight.

The gun belongs on the body. " 'Scuse me, Mr Mugger/Carjacker.... I just need to find my gun....."?

I don't think so!

I'll add a small personal caveat.... being confined to a wheelchair for the present, I consider the chair itself to be part of "my body" because I need it for moving-about... it has replaced my legs. Therefore, a holster clipped to part of the chair IS actually "on my body" for practical purposes. When I'm in a vehicle, the gun is most definitely on my belt for a crossdraw... works great.

a.squibload
04-20-2014, 02:55 PM
Smartcarry works great for driving, but not compatible with large belly.
Keeping my belly somewhat under control (I buy less ice cream now!).
I can draw even with a seatbelt on, and if the pistol ever falls out of there I'm
pretty much toast anyway (no retention problem).

Friend of mine is on the large size ( think Sasquatch but don't tell him I said that),
carries a Ruger LCP in his front pocket, no problems. Can get a pocket holster
if you think it prints at all.

Bad Water Bill
04-20-2014, 03:54 PM
Friend of mine is on the large size ( think Sasquatch but don't tell him I said that),
carries a Ruger LCP in his front pocket, no problems. Can get a pocket holster
if you think it prints at all.

A MAJOR problem is how do you get your gun out while wearing a seat belt.

The bad guys will not allow a "TIME OUT" while you release the seat belt and wiggle around in your pocket.

Since they already have theirs in hand you will be TOAST.

starmac
04-20-2014, 04:12 PM
Who wears a seatbelt. LoL

The thing about carrying all the time and driving a truck, is some states you are in deep do do if caught with one in the truck, much less on your person. Up until I started running across Canada a lot, I kept one in the truck, but didn't keep it on my body for the same reasons. If I had to go in a scale house and forgot it, which is easy to do if you carry all the time, and it was noticed I could get free room and board in some states. lol

MtGun44
04-20-2014, 07:05 PM
If you have a CCW valid in the state you are in - does this somehow get cancelled in a truck?

Bill

starmac
04-20-2014, 07:31 PM
No, not at all, but when I was running the lower 48, there were 48 states I ran in, and some of them it was best not to get caught with a firearm. Unless something has changed no ccl is good in every state, and then there is NYC.

Pistol Champ
04-20-2014, 09:28 PM
Commercial vehicles can not have firearms in them in PA. I just saw a Trooper really explain this to a truck driver at an accident.

MaryB
04-21-2014, 12:26 AM
Sure glad my PK380 fit a Flashbang bra holster... no issues to carry.

starmac
04-21-2014, 12:59 AM
Commercial vehicles can not have firearms in them in PA. I just saw a Trooper really explain this to a truck driver at an accident.

I would have to see that law in writing, I never heard of a state that you could carry a gun in that it was illegal to have one in a commercial vehicle. Some states nobody can transport a loaded firearm, in any vehicle unless they have a ccl, but so far I have heard of no discrimatory laws on the matter. Just because a trooper claims it is, doesn't actually make it so, but Pa. could discriminate.

freebullet
04-21-2014, 01:12 AM
Sure glad my PK380 fit a Flashbang bra holster... no issues to carry.

Lol, I...I don't know what too say. If he tries his commander in a bra holster it would be..... interesting lol.

Bazoo
04-21-2014, 02:54 AM
I wear a galco combat master and its comfortable to wear while driving. I've worn it for 12 hours driving to see the wifes folks. I wear it at the 3-3:30 position. As long as my shirt is behind it, its easily accessible while seated in a bucket of a car. When I get out, if I want it concealed, I just put my shirt over it. I normally wear an untucked t shirt. I have worn an IWB holster, in the same position, Not as comfortable, but manageable. Oh, my gun is a springfield armory milspec 1911 A1. I've tried various holsters and angles. This works best for me.

leadman
04-21-2014, 04:06 AM
Most of the time my J frame is in a holster stuffed between the seat and console securely as the velcro keeps it in place just out of sight but reachable. My OMC is in my pocket so no switching around when I get out.

Ajax
04-21-2014, 05:06 AM
I carry a brick (hi-point) in a De Santis IWB and it is not uncomfortable at all on long trips. From Pa to Tx not issues at all.

Andy

w5pv
04-21-2014, 08:13 AM
In Texas your transportation is an extension of your home Castle Doctrine.You don't have to have Conceal Carry to have a gun in in your car/truck if it is legal for you to own a gun.

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-21-2014, 08:19 AM
ply ...

Moonie
04-21-2014, 01:05 PM

Never trust a law enforcement officer to know the law, and they WILL lie to you. LEO and former LEO on this site exempted of course :)

DougGuy
04-21-2014, 01:56 PM
I think you would get tired of the shoulder rig in the first hunnert miles. I carried a commander in an Alessi CM rig that was very comfortable and very driver-friendly seated, standing or otherwise:

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Guns/AlessiCommanderModel_zps7e849fc1.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Guns/AlessiCommanderModel_zps7e849fc1.jpg.html)

DougGuy
04-21-2014, 02:18 PM
Here's another one, this one is the IWB Pro from Black Hills Leather in Laredo, TX:

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Guns/BlackHillsIWB-PRO_zpsf56bbcfe.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Guns/BlackHillsIWB-PRO_zpsf56bbcfe.jpg.html)

The guy there who runs the place, Rudy Lozano will customize an existing design to ride lower, wider belt loop, whatever you want. Good ppl to work with, he is making me a custom low ride IWB for a Kahr 45 auto that should be done in a couple of weeks, prices are great, this Commander model is about $79, the custom one he is doing for me is $59. Definitely worth checking them out. Here are a few more of their inside the waist holsters: https://blackhillsleather.com/concealed-leather-holster/inside-the-waist.html?gclid=CLSV7pqY8r0CFSqXOgod4koA2w

Gator 45/70
04-22-2014, 10:29 PM
In Louisiana your vehicle is also an extension of your home, No cc needed, Just don't have it on you if you exit your car.

Also no open bottle of whiskey in your car but ok in your home, Go figure ?

Beau Cassidy
04-24-2014, 08:41 AM
One holster made specifically for driving is the Mitch Rosen Tito's Revenge. I have one in black sharkskin for my glock 27. The friggin' holster cost almost as much as the gun!

http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq95/OrthoNP/9-6-11018.jpg (http://s437.photobucket.com/user/OrthoNP/media/9-6-11018.jpg.html)

Notice the reverse cant for carrying crossdraw.
http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq95/OrthoNP/9-6-11017.jpg (http://s437.photobucket.com/user/OrthoNP/media/9-6-11017.jpg.html)

Bullshop Junior
04-24-2014, 08:55 AM
Lol, I...I don't know what too say. If he tries his commander in a bra holster it would be..... interesting lol.

I think that would actually be pretty awesome lol.

Bullshop Junior
04-24-2014, 09:03 AM
I used to drive a lot more then I do now. Not 12,000 a month but I have had y current truck for less then 2 years and have put over 100,000 miles on it. In Alaska i always kept a gun in the truck. At 6'9" I have to bend so much I could not find anything that wouldn't get uncomfortable after about 2 hours. I usually jam my gun between the seat and console on my truck. With my 1911 I would just tuck it into the back of my pants, if I was carrying my security six of black hawk, they went into a holster when I got out. I usually only used revolvers if I was gonna be out hunting or something.

In a semi, I would carry my blackhawk in a western style holster and just have it hang off the side if the seat, but this was all older trucks with no center console.

doc1876
04-30-2014, 10:34 AM

this is the Alfonso that I like so well. Believe it or not, the grip does tuck in close to the body when in a normal position

mjwcaster
04-30-2014, 09:22 PM
I don't do all the states anymore ... The only "problem states" that I drive through that don't recognize my ccw is CA (which I rarely go to) and IL ...

Illinois now allows out of state residents to carry a loaded handgun in their vehicle if they are allowed to carry a loaded firearm in public in their home state.
No reciprocity, no carry outside of the vehicle, but you can keep it loaded while traveling through.
From handgunlaw.us-
NOTE: As the law states below, “is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence. The Illinois State Police in three different emails to people that I have seen are stating that you have to have a permit/license from your “Home State.” Handgunlaw.us highly recommends you not vehicle carry without a valid permit/license from your state of residence while traveling in your vehicle in Illinois. The Illinois State Police also had this addressed in their FAQs but that wording has disappeared from there.
Section 40
(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence; and
(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act. If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle
Unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the
vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.

Bad Water Bill
04-30-2014, 09:32 PM
123.DieselBenz

Now you can come visit us.

That info came from "an Illinois certified CCW instructor".:bigsmyl2:

He might just be certifiable as well.:kidding:

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-30-2014, 10:54 PM

Bad Water Bill
04-30-2014, 11:11 PM
Thanks Bill!

I just this afternoon traveled through on I-70, now in MO ... Good to know I can carry while driving, just gotta remember to leave it in the truck if I should stop for a potty break ... But easier than having to stop before crossing the line!

mjwcaster is the man that deserves the credit.

mjwcaster
04-30-2014, 11:57 PM
BWB, there is no question that I am 'certifiable'.
But I don't suffer from my insanity, I rather enjoy it.

And maybe someday we can grant actual recognition to out of state residents so they may carry in IL

Bad Water Bill
05-01-2014, 12:37 AM
I talked to Valinda and Mike at Otises get together about that and several other things.

Keep your mouth shut was what they said,so I will because she is meaner and Mike is bigger than I am.:bigsmyl2:

A nicer more caring couple you will never meet.

Three-Fifty-Seven
05-01-2014, 08:24 AM
d ... :lol: