PDA

View Full Version : Who fluxes in their casting pot?

osteodoc08
04-18-2014, 01:27 PM
I've always done my fluxing and reducing in my smelting set up. Last few times used straight old honey comb. Worked well. Nice ingots. Ingots get weighted and wrote on with a sharpie. They are put into casting pot with 1% tin, some purified beeswax on top and pot pretty much emptied, where I will turn off, let cool to sludge and add another ingot, tin, beeswax and the process repeats itself.

I've read of several members doing a last/final flux in the casting pot. If I've got clean alloy to start, is there any benefit to this? What's the best way and how to do it?

Walter Laich
04-18-2014, 02:02 PM
I use saw dust in my casting pot. Always seem to get something out no matter how clean the ingots were going in.

Smoke4320
04-18-2014, 02:05 PM
I flux with cedar chips twice in smelting .. then flux twice again in the casting pot .. last flux stays on top of pot ..
doing so may be overkill but I get very clean bullets and no spout issues
works for me that's all I can say..

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
04-18-2014, 02:21 PM
I flux as needed, but using an open pot and a Rowel bottom pour ladle rather then a bottom pour pot.

Won't get into any discussions here as some say that wax such as that from used candles or canning type wax will not flux, but be that as it may, That is what I have used for many years, for smelting and casting and it always has worked fine.

AS said, won't debate the subject, that is just what I use and it works for me and I flux as needed or when I add fresh ingots to the pot during casting.

Using a 40 - 45lb pot for my alloy, heated over an OLD Coleman gas stove, I like to team cast when casting for other then my 45/70 (handgun bullets) and we will run 4 - 5 molds of 4 - 6 cavities if available. We go through a lot of alloy in a 2 - 3 hour session and need to return the sprews to the pot as well as add fresh ingots, so fluxing on the fly is done as needed.

When casting solo for the 45/70 - using a 4 cavity 465gr mold -, 1 pot full of alloy will usually be enough for one session, but I still flux as needed.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Maximumbob54
04-18-2014, 02:23 PM
Same as post #2. I've started to just buy all my lead from Roto metals and even still I get muck that floats up when I flux. It's minimal at worst though.

JSnover
04-18-2014, 04:09 PM
I stir with a wooden stick once in a while.

Baja_Traveler
04-18-2014, 04:36 PM
Since I store all my lead out back under the casting bench it gets an oxidation layer just sitting there. If the melt looks too bad I will flux, otherwise those 5 gallon paint stir sticks Home Depot gives away work wonderfully...

bangerjim
04-18-2014, 05:57 PM
I know this will stir up a hornet's nest with some on here, but...........................[smilie=1:

Using beeswax in MY casting pots REDUCES everything nicely back in the pot. If you smelt properly and FLUXED 3x and have no included crud in your ingots, all you may have is some light surface oxide that the wax will take care of. It puts that tin back in there by reduction just like magic! And leaves very little residue behind. A small piece of beeswax the size of a pea every time I add more ingots does the trick. If you run your pot too hot, you will see more Sn oxidizing and will just use a little more wax frequently.

I do not use any other carbon-based life forms in my casting pot anymore.

Try different things. Do what works best for you. I KNOW what works for me......all the time.[smilie=w:

bangerjim :guntootsmiley:

Larry Gibson
04-18-2014, 06:25 PM
I flux in the Lyman Mag 20 all the time as needed. I also flux as needed in the Lyman 10 lb dipper electric pot and the Lyman 10 lb cast iron pots on the propane burner. I do my "smelting" in a dutch oven on the propane burner. Alloys are fluxed there before being poured or dipped into ingots. With COWWs I always smelt them really well and then remove the clips. I then flux really well (most often with beeswax), remover the dirt and debris and then flux again, remove the dirt and debris and pour into ingots.

Even after putting prepared ingots of alloy in the casting pots I always flux once they have melted and the alloy has come up to cast temp.

Larry Gibson

ukrifleman
04-18-2014, 06:30 PM
Candle wax works for me when casting ingots and again when casting bullets from my Lee Production Pot IV.
ukrifleman.

dragonrider
04-18-2014, 07:25 PM
I flux 3 times sawdust while smelting, I stir with an oak stick when casting.

freebullet
04-18-2014, 07:41 PM
I use chain saw dust. I do it in the pot when using high antimony alloy, and leave it there to help prevent oatmeal on top of the melt.

jimb16
04-18-2014, 07:53 PM
I flux with candle wax when casting ingots. Then I flux again every half hour or so while casting. I find I get better pours if I flux periodically.

762sultan
04-18-2014, 07:58 PM
I use a 25# Waage electric pot and flux when it comes up to casting temp. I don't add any alloy until it is down to about 8-10 pounds. I usually flux 2-3 times up to that point using candle wax. By the time I need to add ingots and sprue I need a break.This gives me a few minutes until the melt comes up to casting temp. When it reaches temp I begin casting again. I have always used a pot and a dipper,I guess I'm to set in my ways to change now.

roberts1
04-18-2014, 09:43 PM
I use a bottom pour pot and stir with a wooden stick. If all the garbage floats on top and I pour from the bottom...

leftiye
04-19-2014, 04:19 AM
Anybody who doesn't flux their casting pot is asking for trouble. I use a lyman bottom pour, and flux with crushed charcoal, and a wooden dowel at the start of a session, and whenever I add lead. Then I cover the top of the melt with crushed charcoal, and put a sheet metal plate over the pot.

Cmm_3940
04-19-2014, 04:39 AM
I use the free wood stir sticks from a paint/hardware store when I have some, which isn't always. Otherwise, I use cedar pet bedding because it's cheap and available. I'd prefer a finer sawdust but don't have a collection system. The regular shop vac picks up too much other stuff.

Whitespider
04-19-2014, 07:11 AM
When converting wheel weights into ingots I flux with chain saw chips and a bit of ivory soap once before removing the clips, and once after. I figure that's clean enough for storage ingots... they tend to oxidize over time and will need fluxing before pouring anyway.
I use the same in the casting pot after it's up to temp, and usually just stir/scrape often with a wooden stick after that. When I need to add more metal I'll do the saw chips/ivory thing again. I ladle cast, don't even own a bottom-pour, so I can't leave anything on top of the melt.

ukrifleman
04-19-2014, 07:26 AM
I flux with candle wax when casting ingots. Then I flux again every half hour or so while casting. I find I get better pours if I flux periodically.

+1
ukrifleman.

plainsman456
04-19-2014, 01:27 PM
I keep 2 types of sawdust nearby.
1 is pine and other types that i get from the wood shop at the school.
The other is saw chips from the live oak that i cut for firewood.
I use the oak when casting because it smells like some good food is cooking and the wife loves it.
The first is used when reducing down all of the odds and ends to ingots.
I tried some of that sensy wax and while it does smell good it does smoke more.
Hard to get away from wood smoke that makes one hungry,even when full.

wmitty
04-19-2014, 03:59 PM
I throw the wheel weights in the casting skillet and drop a couple of charcoal briquettes on the melt. If there's no charcoal, dried red oak leaves work fine. I don't mess with smelting to make ingots anymore; it isn't necessary. Skim off the clips and start casting... works for me.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
04-19-2014, 09:11 PM
Smelted close to a 5 gal bucket of WW today. Ended up with a couple #10 tins of clips etc. Have about 120lbs of smelted ingots.

This for me, would be just toooooo much of a mess to put in the alloy of metal for casting.

But then, I don't use a bottom pour pot.

Lots more to go! Haven't smelted for years and waaaaay behind.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Idaho Mule
04-20-2014, 10:28 AM
Crusty, if you end up with too many of those ingots feel free to bring some over to this side of the mountain. I would be happy to help you use 'em up. Happy Easter. JW

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
04-20-2014, 12:43 PM
Morn'in Mule! And a happy and blessed EASTER to you and yours. He has risen indeed!

Should I save all the zinc laced ingots for you?

You folks over on the wrong side of the hill could throw them at each other kind of like the Hatfields and McCoys or maybe you could shoot them in your, "almost 45/70." :kidding: :lol: :lol:

BE glad when the newer WW stash is smelted as it is just a lot easier to dump and melt, dump and melt!

Haven't smelted for a long time, so need to get er done. Finely!

New stash came from my boys. One manages a shop for one of the BIG independent tire companies in Califunnyia (Home office in Phoenix and shops in a bunch of states - BIG!) and he was able to get me some used WW just before they were totally out lawed in that state. There are bad ones in the mix, so need to sort. YUK!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot