PDA

View Full Version : hotmail account.

frkelly74
04-18-2014, 07:49 AM
I am being refused access to my hotmail account For the past few days it has been trickey getting in and now it refuses to accept my pass word and offers to send a code to a different email address that I never heard of but is similar to mine. Does any one have a phone number that a person will answer so I can call them and see what they want? Or should I just get a new email? I hate computers, and the security measures that any criminal can outwit in a few minutes seem very effective at keeping me from my own stuff. Bleah!

375RUGER
04-18-2014, 11:22 AM
you probably got hacked and you need to contact them to get everything reset otherwise the ne'er-do-wells will wreak havoc with the information they have gained from your account.

bangerjim
04-18-2014, 11:24 AM
That's the potential problem with using any of those non-POP3 email websites. You have to deal with a 3rd party. If you use you provider's email service, you deal directly with them in case of any problems. With those you do NOT go to a website (.com) to get your email. You log on to their email server and get it easily without the internet (.com) involved. I fought one of those at my cousins place last year. A real PITA compared with what I have always used.

Depending on you provider, I would check into that. Avoid the Hotmail/google/msnmail freebees. My email is just part of my provider package. And all providers furnish you with a portal to access your email from another location if you really need it.

Good luck finding a human to talk to!

bangerjim

Horace
04-18-2014, 11:39 AM
Hotmail has been replaced by Outlook.com, do a Google search.

Horace

dragon813gt
04-18-2014, 11:44 AM
Hotmail has been replaced by Outlook.com, do a Google search.

Horace

It still links to the same place. They gave you the option of keeping your @hotmail or switching to @outlook. Either way it's the same service.

MT Gianni
04-18-2014, 02:35 PM
That's the potential problem with using any of those non-POP3 email websites. You have to deal with a 3rd party. If you use you provider's email service, you deal directly with them in case of any problems. With those you do NOT go to a website (.com) to get your email. You log on to their email server and get it easily without the internet (.com) involved. I fought one of those at my cousins place last year. A real PITA compared with what I have always used.

Depending on you provider, I would check into that. Avoid the Hotmail/google/msnmail freebees. My email is just part of my provider package. And all providers furnish you with a portal to access your email from another location if you really need it.

bangerjim
The only problem is when your provider goes broke and all is lost. Happened to me 4 years ago.

Airman Basic
04-18-2014, 02:46 PM

bangerjim
Hotmail and Gmail both have email client access without going through a browser. As far as email providers going out of business, if Microsoft and Google give up the ghost, we're probably all out of the computer/internet thang.

winchester85
04-18-2014, 08:39 PM
my hotmail account a few years ago was "hacked". in the effort to try and get into it, hotmail tried to get me to give up all my other email addresses, all passwords i had ever used, and probably other information that i did not want to give up.

sorry, but i am no sucker and will not give up ANY information that would allow them to cause me more problems. i just never used that email address again.

frkelly74
04-18-2014, 10:49 PM
So what is a good email to switch to? The most important feature that I want is a central notification of message that I received from a forum such as this one , and my daughters performance details, and of course ebay. I can check all of these independently but like the notifications. I have been frkelly74 for a long time and have gotten used to it.

bangerjim
04-18-2014, 11:07 PM
So what is a good email to switch to? The most important feature that I want is a central notification of message that I received from a forum such as this one , and my daughters performance details, and of course ebay. I can check all of these independently but like the notifications. I have been frkelly74 for a long time and have gotten used to it.

What/who is your internet provider? They should have a email server that is probably excellent.

I use cox.net for my personal and company ISP provider and I also use their email server for everybody. I can check email from anywhere I am with my iPhone, iPad automatically and by logging into their webmail service (website) on any remote computer.

I live on email for both professional and personal things and it works great for all my needs.

Check with your internet provider.

banger

MaryB
04-19-2014, 01:21 AM
gmail works well but they do scan all your emails and read them. Nothing is safe anymore unless you use one of the encrypted email services. If I send something gmail I don't want read I encrypt it first, copy it into gmail then send. Friends have the key to read it

Cmm_3940
04-19-2014, 03:35 AM

Use the email account provided by your ISP. Use a real mail client like Thunderbird or Outlook, not a web based one. If you want a disposable anonymous email address, sign up for a free gmail account using BS information and configure your client to connect to that AND your 'legit' email.

Notifications originate from the source and go wherever you tell them to, it doesn't matter who your email provider is.

Lloyd Smale
04-19-2014, 05:31 AM
when it ask if you want to have the password sent to that account below that there should be something to click on that says i no longer have that address. When you click on it it will give the option of typeing a new address in there. I went round and round one day because they kept sending me a 3 digit recovery code and when i typed it in it said i needed a 4 digit code. My wife did a bunch of farting around, over my head, and got ahold of there customer service by phone and straightened it up.

catmandu
04-19-2014, 06:02 AM
I got locked out of mine a while back. Took a while to resolve it. They wanted my info and PW from when I set up the account. (Like I can remember that) I think I got locked out by signing in on multiple computers and tablet, so it saw different IPs at the same time. I was suspicious I was hacked. Turns out I wasn't. After a week I got a technical to email me and they cleared it up

Paul in WNY

frkelly74
04-19-2014, 11:14 PM
My geek son in law got me straightened out so all is good for now.

jmort
04-19-2014, 11:22 PM
gmail works well