PDA

View Full Version : Howdy-do from mid MO.!

baogongmeo
04-17-2014, 02:10 AM
Hello all! I've been enjoying the forums for the last few days so I registered as a member this evening.
I'm 58,spent 35 1/2 years in the glass industry...the last 20 turning sand into glass.
My Dad started me hunting and shooting when I was pretty young. My first experiences with molten lead was casting sinkers before I was old enough to drive, I started reloading when I was 22 and into black powder also. 20 years or so ago I started casting for .45ACP.
I reload for rifle,pistol,and shotgun and have taken a lot of game with my loads.

A few years ago I happened on to the 13gr. of Red Dot load and have been using it to shoot-up the odds and ends and partial boxes of 308 bullets that I've accumulated and since I've had so much fun doing that I decided to explore casting .30 cal. bullets...gas checks and all.

Over the years I've smelted and made ingots of whatever lead that I had...soft lead,hard lead,cowws,range scrap,pipe,and sheet lead...now I see that I should have kept it separated instead of melting together what ever I had at the time. The good thing is that for several years I've bought bar solder when I could find it cheap and have about 45 lbs of babbit.

Anyhow,I just wanted to say Hello and introduce myself and I believe it's going to be a Good Time.

Keep on keepin' on

s mac
04-17-2014, 07:46 AM
Howdy from SW MO, good place to learn and hang out.

Pb2au
04-17-2014, 07:50 AM
Welcome to the site!

beagle
04-17-2014, 08:53 AM
Welcome to the site. With that background, you ought to fit right in. We're turning old WWs into bullets so that's in the same area. Lots to learn and some good folks here. Welcome./beagle

dragonrider
04-17-2014, 09:11 AM
Hello and welcome.

prsman23
04-17-2014, 09:11 AM
Welcome newbie! Kidding :-)
Sounds like you've been at it a while. Lots to learn here. I'm sure you can learn us a bit too.

baogongmeo
04-17-2014, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the welcome gents.
I'm ready to get started...I'm looking at a mould on the group buy and need to purchase a sizer and M die(any recommendations where to look)?

S mac,I've got a good friend in your general area that I've been trying to interest in the Red Dot load and maybe start casting but so far no go.

I guess"jacketed"might be a bad word on this site but I'm near the Sierra factory and if anyone would like to know if a certain bullet is available in the outlet I'll be happy to check for them.

Keep on keepin' on

CastingFool
04-17-2014, 02:07 PM
Welcome to the site, baogonmeo, lots of information here and a lot of helpful members willing to share their knowledge.

ultramag
04-17-2014, 02:23 PM
Welcome from another MO caster!!!

baogongmeo
04-17-2014, 02:46 PM
Ultramag,I'm in Sedalia so we're almost neighbors.
I'm in the Clinton area pretty often hunting,fishing,and such...thinking of moving there in a couple of years.
Do you shoot at Golden Valley?
I used to do a lot of waterfowling south of the old Martinville store(I think it's all refuge now).
John Wall's store used to be good for a day trip for a bunch of us. I was down there in Sept.dove hunting and went into the gunshop that Jim from the Country Store on 13 had recently opened and the guy behind the counter looked at me kind of funny and said"I know you,you used to come into John's all the time".That came as a surprise as I only went to the store 2 or 3 times after John sold it and that's been what maybe 20years or so?

Anyway maybe I'll run into you down there hunting or something.

Have a good one

ultramag
04-17-2014, 03:27 PM
Ultramag,I'm in Sedalia so we're almost neighbors.
I'm in the Clinton area pretty often hunting,fishing,and such...thinking of moving there in a couple of years.
Do you shoot at Golden Valley?
I used to do a lot of waterfowling south of the old Martinville store(I think it's all refuge now).
John Wall's store used to be good for a day trip for a bunch of us. I was down there in Sept.dove hunting and went into the gunshop that Jim from the Country Store on 13 had recently opened and the guy behind the counter looked at me kind of funny and said"I know you,you used to come into John's all the time".That came as a surprise as I only went to the store 2 or 3 times after John sold it and that's been what maybe 20years or so?

Anyway maybe I'll run into you down there hunting or something.

Have a good one

I shoot at Golden Valley some but in all honesty try and avoid it. I have a couple other good places that I don't have to deal with so much company. I still get over there though....it's too easy to pass up some days. It's a less than 10 minute drive from my house.

Everything off old Martinville Rd. is most, if not all, refuge. Store is gone....still good mushroom hunting area though other than the powers that be fenced of the road and greatly reduced access other than hoofing it in. I've known Jim, Jeff, and all the other yahoos associated with those two shops for years. I knew Jim before he had the gun shop or even started selling a few guns out his Mom's craft shop. Anyway, sounds like we're likely to cross paths, if we haven't already that is. :lol:

roberts1
04-17-2014, 07:01 PM
Welcome from east mo. I get to sedalia as often as possible kehdes bbq is the best

sigep1764
04-17-2014, 09:42 PM
I'm in St. Louis for the time being. If you guys are ever in my neck of the woods, pm me to hit the range.

country gent
04-17-2014, 09:53 PM
Welcome from Northwest Ohio. Ask away there alot of knowledge here to be used. One nice thing about knowledge is you can give it and have it too. And no one can take it away from you

smoked turkey
04-18-2014, 12:16 AM
Welcome to the greatest place on the web. You are in for a treat. I can tell you are gonna fit right in. I am near Springfield so I am not too far from you. It has been quite a while since I have been to Sierra. Since I enjoy shooting cast more than j-words, I don't use too many of their product. I have found that their blem bullets do shoot pretty good though. I have been to Walls three or four times. It was a very neat place to go. I remember being there one particular busy Saturday. He didn't have time to haggle over prices so if the two parties were fairly close he would flip a coin to determine what the final difference would be. Made quite an impression on me that day.

baogongmeo
04-18-2014, 01:08 AM
Welcome from east mo. I get to sedalia as often as possible kehdes bbq is the best

John and Chelsey are my neighbors...try their prime rib.

Trelan
04-18-2014, 07:16 AM
Just toss my hello in from down highway 50 in Jefferson City

roberts1
04-18-2014, 08:29 AM
John and Chelsey are my neighbors...try their prime rib.
Will do if i can ever tear myself away from the posh potatoe and apple dumplin i usually get. I get down there
3-4 times a year to visit friends in smithton (lots of cast boolits scattered around there) and we always go there. Service is always excellent too.

oldarkie
04-18-2014, 09:02 AM
Welcome to the site from Eldorado Springs.

baogongmeo
04-18-2014, 01:01 PM
If you like catfish,LeMair's is another good place to eat.

Will do if i can ever tear myself away from the posh potatoe and apple dumplin i usually get. I get down there
3-4 times a year to visit friends in smithton (lots of cast boolits scattered around there) and we always go there. Service is always excellent too.

roberts1
04-18-2014, 09:50 PM
If you like catfish,LeMair's is another good place to eat.

Never been. Ill have to check them out. I'm usually there during deer season so itll be nice to have another place to eat. Thanks

baogongmeo
04-19-2014, 12:27 AM
El Espolon is another good place if you want Mexican. Good food and lots of it. Just a little south of Kehde's on the other side of the road. Go under the Katy Trail overpass and turn right into the first drive...it's the same lot as where Orschlen's is.

TCFAN
04-19-2014, 12:54 AM
baogongmeo...........Welcome from Ozark County in southern MO.Sounds like you are going to fit right in.

I lived in Sedalia for a short time and went to the forth grade there in a small 2 room school. I think it was called Hi point or something like that. Been a long time ago about 1953 or 54.I do have a cousin that lives there now... last name is Sparks........Terry

roberts1
04-19-2014, 08:56 AM
El Espolon is another good place if you want Mexican. Good food and lots of it. Just a little south of Kehde's on the other side of the road. Go under the Katy Trail overpass and turn right into the first drive...it's the same lot as where Orschlen's is.
Yep ive seen it just never been in. Ill give it a try thanks. I have been accused of being more into eating than hunting... Im beginning to think they might be right