PDA

View Full Version : 7.62x54R Case Split Privi Brass

Boyscout
04-16-2014, 08:11 PM

I've had a few case splits over the years but I have never seen one like the one on Privi brass.

I am assuming the failure would have been quite sever had I shot it.

prsman23
04-16-2014, 09:22 PM
Looks good to go to me.
Kidding.
That's a good reminder to inspect every case. Too bad it made it that far. Glad you caught it in time though.

Hardcast416taylor
04-16-2014, 09:50 PM
I don`t care where cartridge brass is manfactured or in what country. There will be cases slip past the inspectors and get out into circulation.Robert

petroid
04-16-2014, 09:59 PM
I don`t care where cartridge brass is manfactured or in what country. There will be cases slip past the inspectors and get out into circulation.Robert

I don't think it came like that from the factory. Did it?

texassako
04-16-2014, 10:07 PM
It looks like a flaw more than a split. I have several R-P bulk rifle brass laying around with flaws that look a bit like that, but in the neck. Like a wrinkle in the brass that was ironed into a seam as the drawing steps continued.

BattleRife
04-16-2014, 10:08 PM
Looks like mechanical damage to me, and it probably doesn't extend through the full thickness of the case wall. You could probably have shot it without problem.

Boyscout
04-17-2014, 02:42 AM
When I expanded the photo, I could see where brass has actually broken off around the split. To date, I have never had any problem with the Privi brass. I thought the shape of the split was interesting as most I have had were linear.

I wipe down most of my rifle brass after tumbing and reloading. I caught this one later rather than sooner. The rag I was using caught on the brass.

zuke
04-17-2014, 06:37 AM
One is bound to slip thru the crack's now and then.

Lance Boyle
04-17-2014, 10:29 AM
It looks like a manufacturing flaw to me too.

Funny RP was also mentioned. I had some defects with factory .30-40 krag brass. One was a neck that laminated like a cigarette's rolling paper. It delaminated and that's how I found it, sizing my brass it felt different as there was not pressure when the expander came out.