PDA

View Full Version : garage sale find

doorgunner
04-16-2014, 02:48 PM
Went to a garage sale this morning with my wife.
while wandering around there I found a box marked $15.00. had a bunch of assorted stuff in it. As I dug through it I came upon the following. 1 lyman 429244 mould with handles, 1 Ideal 452460 without handles and a tin container of 44 gas checks about 3/4 full. The molds both looked good so I purchased the box.
the gal at the sale said the stuff had belonged to her grandfather and she could remember him doing something with them but she did not know what they were. She said she wandered what the (little copper things were.) I told her and indicated that all the stuff would be put to good use.

Smoke4320
04-16-2014, 02:52 PM
congrads on a great deal

TenTea
04-16-2014, 02:57 PM
Another win for the *miscellaneous* box.

A perennial favorite of auctions, rummage sales and gunshows.

hickfu
04-16-2014, 05:33 PM
Its good to see that some use will come to the equipment of an old caster!! If my son doesnt take up the hobby by the time I get older I hope he will at least pass it along to someone who will continue to use it.

Doc

bangerjim
04-16-2014, 07:25 PM
I used to find stuff (cameras, guns, loading, antiques, tools......really GOOD stuff!) like that back when I went "garage sailing" in MI. Lots of older people selling out and moving to warmer climates.

Now out here in AZ, all those old people are here and the garage sales consist of mainly garbage cheap furniture, toys and friggin' baby clothes! In 30 years, I have not found anything worth hauling home. Don't even stop anymore.............just drive by slow! The area is just too new to have old stuff.

Good find!

banger

selmerfan
04-16-2014, 08:29 PM
See, that's why I stop at every garage/yard/rummage sale I see. I'm going to find me a Mark VI selmer alto, tenor, or soprano for $100 one of these days... Until then I'll keep picking up reloading stuff and tools at good prices if/when I find them. My biggest steal to date was a brand new White Mountain electric ice cream freezer with all of the stickers, book, and box for $5 ($200ish new at the store). I put a piece of clear packing tape over the price tag to preserve the memory. :)

rondog
04-16-2014, 09:09 PM
I live in a bedroom community filled with Denver yuppies. Garage sales around here are all cheap furniture, appliances, toys and clothes for yuppie puppies. It would be an exhausting exercise in frustration to hit enough garage/yard sales to maybe find some reloading stuff, guns, or WWII collectables. There just isn't much of an older population in my area, those folks are scattered all over Denver hidden deep in the old neighborhoods. Bummer.

I'd love to hit a garage sale with some older folks selling cool stuff. But there's a huge Flea Market in Denver, and those vendors hit the garage sales at the crack of dawn, it's like trying to get .22 ammo at WalMart before the hustlers buy it all up.

Lance Boyle
04-17-2014, 10:23 AM
Anyplace I ever lived there were professionals hitting the garage sales and attempting to hit them before the advertised date too to get the good stuff. They're the ones running antique stores or supplying them. Reloading supplies advertised as such were often gone before long. I made a call on some stuff in the village I lived in and found that 2 others had already been there before the date, one I knew. The first guy made a killing and was a reseller. The second guy was there and took a lot of what guy number 1 didn't want.

CplOswald74
06-03-2014, 10:15 PM
I once found a deep sea rig and fighting belt at a Phoenix, Az area yardsale for $15. I bought the stuff for my dad, he told me that the reel was a 1950"s vintage Penn reel which he disassembled, relubed and has caught many halibut and sturgeon on since. My 1911 holster collection has grown quite a bit due to flea market and yard sale finds.

500MAG
06-03-2014, 10:21 PM
Couple years ago I picked up a Kabar MK 2 knife with sheath for $3 at a yard sale. That's my yard sale claim to fame.

HeavyMetal
06-03-2014, 10:38 PM
Things I've picked up at yard sales:

Sear Atlas lathe 48 inch bed $200 12 Gauge Mec 15.00 Ruger 10-22 $50.00 Lyman model 51 electric pot a Co-Ax press and a Lyman 45 $30.00 for all of it!

A south bend 9 inch lathe with quick gear box $500 20 gauge Mec 600 with half a bag of shot and box of wads $20.00

A card board box containing, 4000 corrosive rifle primer, 2 pounds 4198, a Lyman 358156 DC mold with handles an Eagle single stage C press and a half dozen dies sets $50 ( I was visiting Minden NV. and Mom and I were yard saleing for this stuff)

I've picked up other stuff as well just can't remember it any more and believe me this is years of yard sales it didn't happen last month, LOL!

Leatherhead Bullets
06-03-2014, 10:49 PM
I am never that lucky!

Harter66
06-04-2014, 09:54 AM
Last weekend the Miss drug me into several yard sales I spent $100...... but I got 25# bag of #6 lead shot, 3 bag of AA wads,32 1-2 season duck deks w/2 mojo landers,70# of divebelts , gun belt w/loops and holster, a MEC 762R grabber w/micrometer bar, and enough PVC parts to build the water trap for spring plant watering. About a yr ago I got a 10 in dutch oven perfectly ruined for the melt and skim for a buck and a mini fridge about a yr old for 5 more.

My Dad is the master though . He scored a Belgium A5 Mag for $150 and 18 boxes of assorted factory shells for 50 more. Then the guy threw in a 36 cal 1851 Colt repro.

HeavyMetal
06-04-2014, 10:01 AM
Stuff can be found but, just like anything else, it requires some work and attendance, LOL!

If ya don't go ya don't get.

beagle
06-04-2014, 10:52 AM
Good score. Here in KY, the Highway 68 yard sale and the Highway 127 yard sales are coming up. Miles of junk and I'll be out there looking. The 68's this weekend./beagle

blackthorn
06-04-2014, 12:41 PM
Last Sunday morning flea market---1 five foot "jack all" ($10) and 2 single plastic rifle cases ($2 @) I also got a 10 power Monocular for $2!

rhead
06-05-2014, 09:00 AM
I might find something that I would be willing to use up some storage space on at one in twenty sales. Maybe one in ten of those are not over priced. that other one time is sometimes a real bargain. My best was a three inch folding knife with Damascus blade and fossilized walrus ivory scales. It was signed by the maker. $25. It took a few years to find someone who wanted it and had something I wanted but i swapped it for a very nice Marlin 95 in 45 70 and five boxes of ammo.

jonp
06-05-2014, 09:23 AM
You can still find stuff but with the internet it is getting harder. People can just go online and see what it is worth or what others have priced it for sale on sites like Craigslist or Ebay. Still, deals can be found if you look hard enough. I just was looking over garage sales in the area on a site and stopped at a picture a guy had put up of his garage with the door open to show all of the item set out on tables and stuff. One thing caught my eye and I zoomed it closer. Yup, a rifle leaning in the corner!!

paul edward
06-07-2014, 12:18 AM
The 429244 was a favorite of target shooters who shot the .44 Russian. I bought one back in 1963 to load .44 Russian for an old Belgian single shot pistol. With an alloy of mixed scrap they weigh about 260 grains.