PDA

View Full Version : Chapstick Recipe?

smokesahoy
04-16-2014, 08:02 AM
With all my lube supplies it seems silly to pay for chapstick.

I was thinking 60/40 vaseline/beeswax? Any recipes?

375RUGER
04-16-2014, 08:45 AM
Silly to pay for moustache wax too. Your 60/40 is a good place to start and adjust according to climate.
The following may need to be adjusted with more or less beeswax according to climate and personal preference too.
1 part beeswax
2 parts avacado, shea, cocoa, or mango butters (mix and match if you like)
2 parts coconut oil

If you make FWFL,
2 part Jojoba oil
1 part Castor oil
2 part coconut oil
2 parts beeswax

Replace the ATF in Ben's Red with Hoppe's 9 and add a bit more beeswax, all the right kind of girls will want to be kissing you then.
That's a joke, son. Laugh.

Goatwhiskers
04-16-2014, 08:47 AM
Last I heard the best and cheapest cure for chapped lips is chicken poop. Doesn't do a thing for the condition, but sure stops you from licking your lips. :kidding: GW

Bullshop Junior
04-16-2014, 08:57 AM
Last I heard the best and cheapest cure for chapped lips is chicken poop. Doesn't do a thing for the condition, but sure stops you from licking your lips. :kidding: GW

They sell chicken poop chap stick at tractor supply.

Pb2au
04-16-2014, 09:09 AM
50/50 beeswax and olive oil. Adjust wax to desired viscosity. All natural, works great.
Olive oil is the one plant oil that most closely approximates the natural oils in the skin. I use the above mixture in the winter on my knuckles. Years of pulling wrenches and one nasty chemical burn has left them very prone to splitting in the winter.

smokesahoy
04-16-2014, 11:08 AM
Tried that recipe and adjusted to 2:1 oil to wax, letting cool now to try it. Added a little honey (it's for the wife I don't use the stuff unless sick) but unfortunately I can't get the honey to go into solution... Maybe try fluxing it? Hehe.

Milsurp Junkie
04-16-2014, 11:16 AM
You might want to add a little Vitamin E from a softgel or two to the mix. It seems to 1) be good for the skin and 2) retards the growth of bacteria that makes the oil go rancid (especially olive oil). I also added anhydrous lanolin to the mix as well.
I made a whole bunch of hand and lip balm for Christmas, and the wife asked me where I got the recipe...I had to tell her the truth, almost identical to blackpowder bullet lube.

runfiverun
04-16-2014, 01:46 PM
bees wax lanolin and Vaseline works just fine.
a little olive oil or coconut oil adds some smoothness to the mix.

CraigOK
04-16-2014, 02:33 PM
ugh. but I guess you cant argue with its potential success...

smokesahoy
04-16-2014, 03:23 PM
I ended up adding another part olive oil and a tablespoon Vaseline. The mix with the Vaseline is lasting longer, and the added oil is making it softer for this cold house. Wife home soon will see how it goes, thanks guys.

MostlyLeverGuns
04-16-2014, 03:30 PM
Cow manure works better than chicken poop

geargnasher
04-16-2014, 05:48 PM
Beeswax, almond oil, vit. E oil, grape seed oil, jojoba oil, lanolin, and some coconut fat from a friend that owns an old-fashioned movie theatre. Castor oil is good, too, but irritates some people's skin. I don't like any petroleum in what goes on my skin, had too much of that as a mechanic as it is.

For joints, thicken cod liver oil with just enough cetyl alcohol to make a creme (add soy lecithin if necessary to emulsify it), and rub liberally on arthritic points. Smells awful, but works.

Gear

LUBEDUDE
04-16-2014, 05:56 PM
Deleted

shooter2
04-16-2014, 06:08 PM
Bag balm

KCSO
04-16-2014, 06:57 PM
Don't forget to a a goodly dab of manure... to keep you from licking your lips????

With chapstick at like $2.00 a tube i have been using Young's Lube for years, Beeswax and lanolin.

Baron von Trollwhack
04-16-2014, 07:54 PM
Once you get a likeable recipe for your ersatz chapstick........rub some on your favorite field dog's paws occasionally for a bit of protection when you run it in tough conditions.

BvT

oakbowerybarnes
04-16-2014, 09:51 PM
OK. I'm willing to take the ribbing I will get, but I have to ask. What is FWFL??

SciFiJim
04-16-2014, 11:11 PM
OK. I'm willing to take the ribbing I will get, but I have to ask. What is FWFL??

FWFL= Felix World Famous Lube

Some of the best stuff there is for boolit lube. Who knew? Works for lips too.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
04-17-2014, 10:09 PM
3 parts deer tallow rendered , 1 part bees wax

It is also a decent black powder lube
good for cracked hands , and not bad on leather

montana_charlie
04-18-2014, 09:14 PM
Cow manure works better than chicken poop
Calf manure is a bit more refined.
But either one is better than chicken poop.

You see, to get chicken poop you have to go into the poop-filled chicken coop to collect it.
While in there, you have to be vewwy, vewwy careful that you don't drop your chewing gum.
Why? Because it's almost impossible to find.
Took me three tries, last time ...

CM

Tar Heel
04-18-2014, 10:18 PM
You can get this wonderful stuff at Tractor Supply.

fastfire
04-18-2014, 11:45 PM
I use bag balm on my hands in the winter when they start cracking, works on the lips also. I have use Bag Balm all my life on the dairy farm on the cows teats.

missionary5155
04-19-2014, 02:51 AM
Good morning
Well I am another of the olive oil and beeswax users.
The list of uses is almost as long as the time line of humanity. Smells good, tastes good, completely edible and the only lube I can make in the kitchen (as long as I dont burn the beeswax) that my wife will tolerate.
My motto is.. when wondering try 50-50 ! The actual mix depends on purpose.... Add or reduce the olive oil as temperature of stiffness dictates.
Mike in Peru