PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a truck tool box and a shootin bench.

Bullshop Junior
04-15-2014, 10:03 PM
Tell me what y'all think of these ideas.

I'm sick and tired of two things on my truck. Carpeted floors and tools everywhere. Actually three...no good/safe place for a gun, and four if you include that the speakers suck.

So I'm thinking about pulling all the seats out and removing the carpet. Question is...what to reline it with. I'm worried about the bare metal getting the paint scratched off and rusting out. It has a under coat. Would something like rhino line work? Other ideas?

Im also thinking about leaving the back seat out and building a tool box I to the back seat, with a subwoofer (might just do a couple of 6x9 speakers...or a couple of 10" subs ...don't know yet) inclosure, with a smaller door on top in it was a padded spot to put a rifle and a box of ammo. Any ideas on the best was to complete something like that?

And also thinking about building a bench that fits in my rear 2" pipe stake pockets in the bed to shoot off of. I'm rather "tired" of shooting prone using my spare tire for a rest.

Any thoughts on this?

454PB
04-15-2014, 10:22 PM
How about Lee liquid Alox:kidding:

Bullshop Junior
04-15-2014, 10:25 PM
How about Lee liquid Alox:kidding:

Do I make it too obvious that I don't like that stuff? Lol

petroid
04-15-2014, 10:34 PM
Get a Rubber truck bed mat and trim to fit your floor boards. Cheaper and faster than waiting for spray/roll on bed liner to dry. And build an interlocking picnic table type shooting bench out of a single piece of plywood. Comes apart and fits anywhere. A "snap" to set up. lol

osteodoc08
04-15-2014, 10:46 PM
Get the roll on stuff at Wally World. Cheap and works well. I've used it on ATV racks that looked ROUGH and after almost new except all the bent areas. Just gotta prep it good. Plus it works as a sound deadened. Just replace the speakers and keep the seat. You'll wish you had. Get an under seat storage thingy. Or keep a small tool box (if they'll fit) and keep it in the rear floor board or rear seat

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-15-2014, 10:50 PM
plus one on the rubber/plastic mat.
the previous owner of my 71 Chev. put an NEW aftermarket rubber/plastic matt on the floor. I like it a lot.

Skip the speakers.

MaryB
04-15-2014, 11:22 PM
For a bench make yourself a swivel seat and bench combo so if you want to use it to shoot something like prairie dogs or pigs from you can move back and forth.

For the floor look at those interlocking tile rubber mats, trim to fit. Sound deadening, easy to pull out to clean all the dirt and duct from under them...

kayak1
04-15-2014, 11:51 PM
Something like this:
http://www.nonslipcoating.com/

kayak1
04-15-2014, 11:55 PM
This one looks like it will cover more and is less expensive http://www.rakuten.com/prod/rustoleum-248916-truck-bed-coating-black-gallon/262794451.html?listingId=337536993&scid=pla_google_Zoro&adid=18179&gclid=CPGyiIuO5L0CFaVxOgodlxMALA (not sure what one is better).

Mk42gunner
04-15-2014, 11:56 PM
I did the roll on Herculiner floorboard thing in my 77 Ford. It works okay for a few years, but does have some downsides.

1. It will wear fairly quickly under your right foot.

2. It is slick when wet. You may be able to mix non-skid grit in the top coat to fix this, but then it becomes a PITA to keep clean.

I don't really like benches mounted on vehicles, any wind will sway your bench.

Robert

starmac
04-16-2014, 12:28 AM
LOL when I was a kid ALL pickups had rubber mats, there just wasn't no such a thing as factory carpeting. We were always jerry rigging carpet in them. lol

LUBEDUDE
04-16-2014, 02:11 AM
LOL when I was a kid ALL pickups had rubber mats, there just wasn't no such a thing as factory carpeting. We were always jerry rigging carpet in them. lol

In the mid - eighties our shop used to order Chevy 3/4 ton trucks without carpet. That way we would open up both doors and hose 'em down to clean them. We called them the "Farm Rigs".

Gelandangan
04-16-2014, 02:40 AM
Round here, we normally use old conveyor belts to line the bed of our trucks and utes.
OTOH, I once cover an entire Suzuki Sierra (samurai) with marine carpet.

Bullshop Junior
04-16-2014, 08:12 AM
In the mid - eighties our shop used to order Chevy 3/4 ton trucks without carpet. That way we would open up both doors and hose 'em down to clean them. We called them the "Farm Rigs".

This is exactly why I want to rid my truck of the carpet. Although the heated leather seats are nice lol.

Bullshop Junior
04-16-2014, 08:14 AM
Get the roll on stuff at Wally World. Cheap and works well. I've used it on ATV racks that looked ROUGH and after almost new except all the bent areas. Just gotta prep it good. Plus it works as a sound deadened. Just replace the speakers and keep the seat. You'll wish you had. Get an under seat storage thingy. Or keep a small tool box (if they'll fit) and keep it in the rear floor board or rear seat

Ive got way too many tools for that. Full sets standard and metric in 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4 inch drive plus full sets of box and open end wrenches, ratchets breaker bars and special tools.

lancem
04-16-2014, 10:24 AM
rubber flooring by the yard http://www.stockinteriors.com/flatvinyl.asp?Itemid=13105&MakeId=31&ModelId=89

I have a jeep that is covered in bed liner inside and out, slippery when wet.

FrankG
04-16-2014, 02:15 PM
Rubber mats for the floor and a cross bed toolbox. Couple sand bags in the tool box and you can take them out and use tool box to shoot off of .

Bullshop Junior
04-16-2014, 02:30 PM
I don't want to do a cross bed tool box as I have a short bed and it's already too small for all the junk i ways have with ne

dbeerman2000
04-16-2014, 03:15 PM
roll on some bedliner in a matching/contrasting color, a little grit, then a couple rubber floor mats. A toolbox instesd of a back seat is awesome, glue some rubber mat to the top and add a couple straps to secure your rifle while traveling. As far as a shooting bench, I made one from 3/4" plywood and a set of folding table legs. I cut out one corner so i could sit "into" the table, cut a hand hold in the side so when i fold it up, i can carry it. Lightweight, portable, and easy to store.

MT Gianni
04-16-2014, 11:58 PM
Unless you are working a service rig leave the tools at home. I get a decent 3/8" & 1/2" drive sets metric & US and a couple of sets of combination wrenches, screwdrivers, allen wrenches and put them in a get home bag for each rig. Add a tow strap, shovel, handyman jack and tire chains and you are good to go. Keep your expensive tools in a shop, yours or your employers.

Artful
04-17-2014, 12:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUj_xUwvaZM

Guardian
04-17-2014, 01:30 PM
A friend had a mid 90s 4 door Jeep Cherokee that he had removed the back seat and built a wood tool/storage box that ran from the liftgate in the back to just behind the front seats. It was about 8-in deep over the rear cargo area, increasing to about 2-ft deep over the rear footwells. Drawers about 3-ft long, half the vehicle interior width, and about 5-in high slid out when the liftgate was open. Doors on the top gave access to the remaining area for socket/wrench/ratchet storage in the rear and deeper storage for straps, jacks, etc. in the wheel well area. Some speakers were also incorporated into it. All the door were secured with latches. The idea was that if and when he rolled it over, he didn't want tools flying about the cab.

The interior of the hand tool storage areas was filled with expanded foam with cutouts for each tool. This aids tool accountability and keeps stuff where you want it.

I have a 73 IH Scout II and it always had a 40-in Craftsman tool chest in the back of it. It had foam in it too, but every time you hit a bump the tools hitting the metal drawer bottoms was annoying. It was so heavy it didn't move around much.

One issue with removing the carpet in a newer truck is they run the wires to everything under there. Removing the carpet and doing a spray/roll on liner really isn't much of an option, as you'll have those wires exposed. That'll likely end your heated seats and who knows what else.

You could get some of that clear, heavy plastic and just cover the carpet. My uncle did that in his new 78 Jeep J10 and all these years later, it held up pretty well. Get at least a 20-mil thick vinyl. The issue may be the complex curves in the floor pans of newer trucks.

Another option is Weathertech floor liners. While not cheap, they work well.

ACrowe25
04-23-2014, 07:40 PM
They make that rattle can duracoat. Buddy did that to the floor of his jeep. Worked GREAT and I think he paid like $10 on sale for two cans at AutoZone.