PDA

View Full Version : Test of Buckshot's hardness tester

Catshooter
09-07-2005, 07:31 PM
From what I had been reading of Buckshots' posts, he seemed like someone I could trust, so when I found his ad for his hand built lead hardness tester, I sent him a check.

Got it about a week later, and let me say, it is everything he says and more. I had allways wanted a tester, but felt LBTs was too expensive, and looked fragile.

Buckshot's isn't costly, and it sure as heck aint fragile!

It works as advertised, too. Comes with easy to apply instructions.

I highly recomend it.

Cat

David R
09-07-2005, 07:52 PM
I ordered one and am waiting for it. First its going to settle a dispute about some Linotype.

Should be here in a few days.

David

Herb in Pa
09-07-2005, 09:48 PM
I received mine on 09/06 and am very pleased with the ease of use and it's hell for sturdy construction. I tested some water quenched WW+a small amount of babbit and came up with a BHN of 20. It will be nice to be able to test the batch to batch consistancies.

David R
09-07-2005, 09:57 PM
I figure I will cast one ingot from his mold and put it in the coffee can with the boolits I cast. I can then check on the aging process and won't have to write anything down.

David

357tex
09-07-2005, 11:14 PM
Where did you find buckshot's ad? I have looked all over for it.

StarMetal
09-07-2005, 11:27 PM
I think it's in Swappin and Sellin....look for the lead hardness tester

Joe

Buckshot
09-08-2005, 04:44 AM
...........I really do appreciate the kind words. I did kind of worry about the fact that they weren't really what you would call "Store bought" looking units. I did not have a good lathe then so the finish isn't the best.

A little tidbit. I had half the units done from about 5 years ago but since they'd just been laid back I never got around to buying the stuff to finish the rest of them up. That would be the springs and the ball bearings. I'd bought them at Pep Boys from one of those big multi-drawer cabinets where they had all kinds of odds and ends.

When I decided to finish them up I went back to get what I needed. And after wading through all the go-karts, mini bikes, power lawn tools, umbrellas, and stuff I got back to where they have a few car parts and tools. No big cabinet! Oh no!

No springs or ball bearings at Lowes or HD. Our good old downtown hardware store that had been in business for 86 years had closed (landlord wanted a pizza place) and they had EVERYTHING. I had to go to Mc Master-Carr for the stuff and it just arrived today. Anyone who might have ordered one recently might have to wait a week before I can get any more mailed out.

I have to work the next 4 days so it will be Monday before I can begin to finish them up.

Again I am very relieved that no one is having a problem with the kind of amaturish looks. I WAS worried :D

.............Buckshot

9.3X62AL
09-08-2005, 12:58 PM
I've used the Buckshot Hardness Tester for a few years now, and it has helped me sort "mystery metals" in no small way. A couple months back, Marie's uncle was involved in weighting the hull of the sailboat he's building, and had some scrap lead alloy laying around that he wanted to be rid of. He got the stuff in Tijuana, poured into 1" x 3" x 12" strips that looked like stacked metal lumber. The tester enabled me to sort the two metals out--both rang when dropped on concrete, but gave differing test results--one as pure lead, the other as WW metal. When I smelted the "pure lead", it turned out to have some kind of metal filings that were magnetic--either iron filings from beach sand or machine shop turnings--that composed about 10% of the metal. PITA to dross off, and another reminder of CAVEAT EMPTOR anytime you buy something south of the border.