PDA

View Full Version : Stock up on ammo

KCSO
01-02-2008, 05:17 PM
A friend at Cabela's called me today to tell me that by Feb 1 08 all ammo is going up 30-40%. Supposedly this is due to China buying all the lead to put in our toys. But the price rise is definate for all loaded ammo all across the line. Their projected price for 257 Wehtherby mag ammo is $129.00 a box.

Blammer
01-02-2008, 05:38 PM
before you know it, making your own brass will be economical...

Char-Gar
01-02-2008, 07:59 PM
I don't shoot enough factory ammo (try zero, except for my carry handguns) to make this much of a concern. I have at least fifteen years supply of cases, bullet alloy, beeswax, gas checks and primers, and I am 65 years old. If they will let me have a gun in "The Home", I will worry about it then.

Ed Barrett
01-03-2008, 12:09 PM
Most of you are a little too young to remember. But before WWII Japan stareted buying up all the U.S. scrap steel and iron, when the U.S. cut off the exports things got started in the Pacific.

1Shirt
01-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Ed is sure right! I well remember some of the WWII vets saying that we got our scrap metal back in the form of bombs and blts.

Was at Cabellas yesterday, and got some BL-C for about 21.00, and have fond memories of when I walked into Hogdens and bought it in a brown paper bag for less than a buck a pound.

Looked at the prices of factory ammo as well as jacketed blts and about had a heart attack. Saw 222 for nearly 40.00 a box for 20, and the same for 30-30. The rest of the factory centerfires just went up from there. Saw some 44Mag with a price tag of just under 50.00. Glad I have plenty of brass. Charger and I are about in the same bracket, and have to hope that there are other gun folks in
"The Home", so that we can at least jawbone about something other than our aches and pains. Hor. 60 gr. .224's were 14.00 a box. I don't even look at Weatherby anything, rifles, ammo etc.

I was once introduced to Roy Weatherby at a Kansas State Association meeting. He was one of the most obnoxious individuals I have ever had the misfortune to meet. He was the only one of the many notable gun folks that I have met over the years that I can say that about.
Bill Ruger and Joyce Hornady and Charlton Heston talked with me like I was like a next door neighboor. Always regreted not meeting Elmer!
1Shirt!:coffee:

Gussy
01-03-2008, 01:04 PM
Loaded some Hornet shells last week end and the sticker on the powder said $3.95. Still looked good and shoots good. Have 2 more pounds of it. Goes quite a ways at 11gr / shell. Wish my 2.6 BPCR wasn't so hungry (85gr 2F Goex at $15.00/pd). On the other hand, the bullets for the hornet cost $16.00/ C and I cast for the 2.6 out of $.35/pd lead (530gr bullet so the bullet only costs a couple of cents).

I have lots of brass too but could use more primers and powder.

mtgrs737
01-03-2008, 01:29 PM
1Shirt,

I met and talked with Bill Jordan at a SHOT Show in Dallas years ago, and I found him to be a really nice guy. We talked about Skeeter Skelton and Bills eyes got watery. Bill was a Tall Southern Gentleman if ever I met one, with hands that made mine look like a childs.

Morgan Astorbilt
01-03-2008, 01:42 PM
Parker O. Ackley is another fine man no longer with us. I met him back in the '50's at Abercrombie & Fitch When Griffin & Howe was with them. I was in my late teens, and he was probably responsible for me getting into gunsmithing. He gave me his personal phone number, and was never too busy to anwer my questions or help me with any problems I had, pertaining to guns. He sold me his personal Hi Wall in .22-.30-30 for a song, and I've regretted selling it ever since. I used to visit Abercrombie, and drool over all the sporting goods I could only afford to posess in my dreams. Later on, my finances improved to the point where I had an open account with them. Too bad they went under.

I was luckey enough to meet Charleton Heston at the 2000 NRA National Meeting in Charlotte. The speech he gave brought tears to my eyes,and many others. Another sad loss.

Sorry, just the ramblings of an old man, I guess.
Morgan

BD
01-03-2008, 02:09 PM
Roy Weatherby is responsible for my starting to reload in the beginning. It wasn't anything that he said, it was the prices he charged for .270 WBY ammo.
BD

RDub
01-03-2008, 08:59 PM
Most of you are a little too young to remember. But before WWII Japan stareted buying up all the U.S. scrap steel and iron, when the U.S. cut off the exports things got started in the Pacific.

I wonder if our present 'leadership' has the balls to do that today..?

1Shirt
01-04-2008, 11:02 AM
737 and Morgan, I was also fortunate enough to meet Parker Ackley and Bill Jorden. Jorden had the biggest hands that I think I have ever seen. Seemed like when he shook my hand his fingers went half way to my elbow. Listened to Mr. Ackley speak one time, and he made a statement something to the effect that "Roy Weatherby talks a good game, but when it comes to real world, I build them and Elmer shoots them!" Would have loved to have met Tounsand Whelan and Warren Page and Skeeter Skelton. Like Morgan, please excuse the ramblings of an old man.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Poygan
01-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Guys,

We don't ramble, we reminisce!

Bad Water Bill
01-04-2008, 01:28 PM
Arent we the fortunate few left to do that. BWB :castmine:

tom barthel
01-04-2008, 04:24 PM
I have very vague memories of meeting Don Mashburn at his Oklahoma City shop. I don't recall much. I was sorta small then. Always heard nice things about him. I thought a wild catter was someone who hunted wild cats in the woods. Wish he was still around.

Pepe Ray
01-04-2008, 04:27 PM
And counting down-----

01-04-2008, 04:35 PM
A friend at Cabela's called me today to tell me that by Feb 1 08 all ammo is going up 30-40%.

Woooo weeeeee, store bought ammo, what will they think of next. [smilie=w:

Blammer
01-04-2008, 05:41 PM
Maybe sliced bread will be next!

LOL that was too funny!

Lloyd Smale
01-04-2008, 06:09 PM
one things has been a fact of life since i was a little boy. About nothing is cheaper tomaorrow then it is today. A guy can stock up on powder and primmers and cases. Ive got a pretty good stock pile right now. Its lead im worried about. Im down to about a thouand lbs and that wont last two years. I guess on top of that i have enough bullets allready casted to last a couple years. But whats going to happen then. It sure doesnt do any good to have a pile of guns if you cant afford to buy bullets.

Scrounger
01-04-2008, 06:48 PM
One thing does get cheaper, Lloyd, and that is money. The name and numbers of money aren't too relevant; translate it into man-hours of work, then and now, and see how it works out.

Lloyd Smale
01-04-2008, 07:19 PM
i know what you mean scrouger. pretty soon we will be using one dollar bills for toliet paper because there worth less then the toliet paper
One thing does get cheaper, Lloyd, and that is money. The name and numbers of money aren't too relevant; translate it into man-hours of work, then and now, and see how it works out.

MT Gianni
01-04-2008, 07:50 PM
One of my most interesting memories from Buenos Aires in the early 70's was a toilet paper shortage. You could not find it anywhere for weeks. Then in downtown B.A. I saw a grain truck 1/2 full selling it for $1 a roll equivelent. [mil peso's or 10 new pesos] There was a seller hawking it and 2 kids with Thompson 45's guarding him and the money. The oldest looked to be about 18. Gianni

PatMarlin
01-06-2008, 02:09 PM
Its lead im worried about. Im down to about a thouand lbs and that wont last two years. I guess on top of that i have enough bullets allready casted to last a couple years. But whats going to happen then. It sure doesnt do any good to have a pile of guns if you cant afford to buy bullets.

I just paid $40 for 2- 5gal buckets of WW's from a tire store. Most I ever paid, but the talk of a lead shortage panic prompted me to do so... :roll:

I think I lost my mind momentarily when I did that.. :mrgreen:

TexasJeff
01-06-2008, 02:41 PM
I was luckey enough to meet Charleton Heston at the 2000 NRA National Meeting in Charlotte. The speech he gave brought tears to my eyes,and many others. Another sad loss.

After I left the upside down world of federal law enforcement, I went to work for the agency that handles all the NRA advertising/pr/etc.

Being a copywriter, I ended up writing a lot of speeches for Heston, LaPierre, Baker and other NRA supporters and got to know (since I wrote for them) folks like Ted Nugent, Tom Selleck and others.

Super, super, super nice folks. We used to get Christmas cards and little personal notes from Heston up until the point he announced he had Alzheimer's.

There are some jerks in the gunworld, but for the most part, gun owners are the true salt of the earth.

Jeff