PDA

View Full Version : Mold fillout problem

09-07-2005, 10:09 AM
One problem I am having is that the last(lower) driving band is not filling out completly. The area looks OK after casting-the machining marks are visible-but when sized the lower band is not completely burnished bright by the sizing die.I have loosened the spruce plate alot so that I must be careful my dipper does not push on it or I get a raised projection at the cutoff point-this loose plate helped some. I have increased temp. to the point where all boolits are frosty.My WWs also have 2% tin added.Any suggestions to help me completely fill out that darn last driving band??

sundog
09-07-2005, 10:35 AM
4296, try this. With the sprue plate open pour several boolits and allow a little overflow knob atop the block. Measure the base band on them. Then measure several of your good boolits. Could be that the base band in the mould needs to opened up a tad. Just a thought. One other thing, don't depend on the sizer to be exactly the size marked on it. Ocassionally they are a little off. sundog

shooter2
09-07-2005, 11:39 AM
Using a fine file, or a stone, cut a taper (45 degrees) where the two mould halves join at the base of the bullet (i.e., right under the sprue plate). This creates a vent line right where you need it. Don't overdo it. It's tough to rectify a mistake here, but easy to sneak up on. Two or three "easy" strokes on each half with a single cut file usually do the trick. Also, try different techniques. Like a ladle instead of bottom pouring. Or a different ladle. I have one mould that does not take well to my Rowell ladle, but it works fine with the Lyman. FWIW...