PDA

View Full Version : 30/30 boolit seating?

Komodoj
04-13-2014, 06:57 PM
Ok guys I have a question for you? I might not be posting this in the right place but here goes. I am using a Lee die set and I'm using .311 diameter cast bullets from Hunters supply, as I'm seating my bullets I am noticing it's shearing of pieces of lead!!! I decaped, full length sized, trimmed brass to specs. Is this normal. Or am I missing a step? I'm using 8gr. Of trail boss. So a gas check probably isn't necessary? Thank you in advance.

Pb2au
04-13-2014, 07:03 PM
You need to bell the end of the case to allow the boolit to enter with out shaving lead.
Check out the lee universal case expander die.

Bzcraig
04-13-2014, 07:03 PM
Welcome aboard! Yes you are missing a step. The dies do not have a provision to expand the case mouth to accept cast boolits. You will need either the Lee universal expander or a Lyman M die.

Komodoj
04-13-2014, 07:10 PM
I already seated 50? Will I have any issues. I just seated them half way, removed the shavings. Then proceeded to seat and lightly crimp them. Ty guys for the fast replys!!!

fatnhappy
04-13-2014, 07:15 PM
Will I have any issues.

at best mediocre accuracy and wild fliers.

Welcome to the board, there's a wealth of knowledge here we hope you use to full advantage.

Komodoj
04-13-2014, 07:36 PM
Ty. It's going in a revolver. So I guess I'll use these first. Just ordered a universal flare die. Ty for all your fast replys!!!

geargnasher
04-13-2014, 08:18 PM
This is all explained in detail, with pictures, in most any good reloading manual. If your manual doesn't contain a section dedicated to loading cast boolits, look in the section explaining how to load pistol cartridges and observe the case expansion/belling step and the dedicated dies for it, you will need to use a similar tool for loading cast in your rifle-caliber cartridges in order to prevent the shaving of lead.

The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, any edition, should be a big help to you to help you understand the basics and what is different about loading cast. There are publications on the subject as well.

Gear

Komodoj
04-13-2014, 08:50 PM
Yeah I have a vast majority of reloading books and have been reloading pistol calibers for years, but this is the first rifle I have ever done. Guess I missed those pages. Again thanks for all the help. Got it figured out now just missed a crucial "Die" step. Ty guys.

grouch
04-14-2014, 12:07 PM
You can often cure that problem just by carefully chamfering the inside of the case necks, 'specially if it's a reasonably hard alloy. Brass lasts longer that way.
Grouch

jlchucker
04-18-2014, 09:38 AM
Like most everyone says, that extra step to expanding the case mouth is pretty necessary. I've tried it both ways--with a Lee universal die, and with a Lyman M die appropriate for the caliber I happen to load for. I find that the M die works a bit better because it opens the case neck slightly. The Lee die only flares the case mouth a bit. If you use either die be careful how you set it up. If you set it to more that just slightly flaring the case neck, you could end up with a case mouth that looks like the front end of a trumpet.

popper
04-18-2014, 12:14 PM
You could pull those (short PVC pipe & wire cutter), flare with needlenose pliers and seat some new ones. No GC needed with the TB. You probably need the '31' M die for .311. The Lee FCD works very well.

Komodoj
04-18-2014, 01:32 PM
You could pull those (short PVC pipe & wire cutter), flare with needlenose pliers and seat some new ones. No GC needed with the TB. You probably need the '31' M die for .311. The Lee FCD works very well.

What's GC mean?ty
Actually since my first post I shot those 50 and got fair results. Also got the lee flare die and all worked out perfect. Just a really slight flare and the lead bullets seated perfect and a really light crimp afterwards. Thanks guys for all your help.

Pb2au
04-18-2014, 01:51 PM
GC means gas check. It is a cooper cup used on the bottom of bullets to protect the base. The mold/bullet must designed to accept one. So Popper was saying that with TB, the gas check is not needed due to the lower pressure involved.
I hope this helps!

StratsMan
04-18-2014, 01:54 PM
30/30 boolit seating?

Ty. It's going in a revolver. So I guess I'll use these first. Just ordered a universal flare die. Ty for all your fast replys!!!

I just found this thread... Can you post pics of that gun, please??? :kidding:

Komodoj
04-18-2014, 04:02 PM
GC means gas check. It is a cooper cup used on the bottom of bullets to protect the base. The mold/bullet must designed to accept one. So Popper was saying that with TB, the gas check is not needed due to the lower pressure involved.
I hope this helps!

Yeah I know what a gas check is, just had a blonde moment trying to figure what GC meant?

Komodoj
04-18-2014, 04:06 PM
Generic pic? Not home to take an actual pic of it.

Komodoj
04-18-2014, 04:09 PM
30/30 boolit seating?

I just found this thread... Can you post pics of that gun, please??? :kidding:

Heres a chain you can jerk!!!!!!

https://www.magnumresearch.com/Firearms/Magnum-Research-3030-Win-Revolver-75-inch-Barrel.asp

geargnasher
04-18-2014, 09:45 PM
Oh, gee thanks. Now I can't make up my mind whether to buy a Henry BB .45 Colt as a companion to my Vaquero and Open Tops, or to buy a BFR as a companion to my .30-30 leverguns.

Gear

popper
04-18-2014, 09:59 PM
Your boolits are probably pretty hard and the shaving won't hurt too much on lubed boolits. Seriously, I'd pull a dummy and see if the boolit gets sized by the case when loading. I heard someone got a 1k# gater in Malaysia but do you have them in Fl?

StratsMan
04-19-2014, 07:33 PM
Heres a chain you can jerk!!!!!!

https://www.magnumresearch.com/Firearms/Magnum-Research-3030-Win-Revolver-75-inch-Barrel.asp

OMG.... and I thot 30/30 was a typo...

I wonder if they'll do moon-clips for a .308???

jimb16
04-19-2014, 09:57 PM
BTW, you only need to open the case mouth just enough to allow the base of the boolit to go in a few thousandths. any more and you will quickly overwork your brass.

blikseme300
04-20-2014, 03:02 PM
Generic pic? Not home to take an actual pic of it.

My wish list for this summer bonus has changed to this. Another BFR will be on order soon! Thanks for sharing.

jonp
04-20-2014, 03:37 PM
I'm more interested on how many he can stand to send downrange at one sitting

Komodoj
04-20-2014, 03:56 PM

I've put 50rds down range in one sitting! I'm using a 165gr Rnfp and 8.5grs trail boss! Can shoot this load ALL DAY!!!

goofyoldfart
04-20-2014, 06:52 PM
Boys and Girls...........Don't we all learn summthin' every day. I didn't know they made a 30-30 revolver, either.:oops:. God Bless to all and theirs.

Goofy aka Godfrey

Komodoj
04-20-2014, 07:09 PM
AMEN!!!! Just like they always say, you shouldn't through stones in a glass house. Lol!

Boys and Girls...........Don't we all learn summthin' every day. I didn't know they made a 30-30 revolver, either.:oops:. God Bless to all and theirs.

Goofy aka Godfrey

jonp
04-20-2014, 07:38 PM
I've put 50rds down range in one sitting! I'm using a 165gr Rnfp and 8.5grs trail boss! Can shoot this load ALL DAY!!!
I bet! How well does that much TB fill the case?

Komodoj
04-20-2014, 07:43 PM
Only fills it maybe half way?, IMR website says 7gr start 9gr max?

I bet! How well does that much TB fill the case?

blikseme300
04-20-2014, 11:05 PM

My 444M BFR is the least fun pistol for me to shoot but it does scare the carp out of others on the range. The most I have sent down range in a single sitting was 3. Why climb the mountain? Because it is there.