PDA

View Full Version : How much variance on OAL?

LittleBill
04-13-2014, 04:37 PM
Last year I bought an NOE 454 230Gr. RN 4 cavity PB (H&G 34) for my 1911 and a revolver. I've been loading to an OAL of 1.272" with 4.4 gr of Titegroup, copying a similar Lyman profile from my Lyman manual for the length and a mid range powder charge from another of similar weight. Both guns have handled this load very well. I would like to shoot the same bullet in a couple of other semi autos, but have run into some problems with chambering. This OAL is just a wee bit too long.

I made up a couple of dummy rounds and got them to chamber in both barrels at 1.25 OAL. I realize this is only a difference of 0.022", but is that going to cause pressure problems or should I be good to go? In another thread I posted asking about this particular mold when I bought it, another poster mentioned fitting the round to the throat...

If your gun is short throated, seat a bit deeper, long throated, seat it out.

My question is, how far can I safely go before I have to start worrying about blowing something up?

243winxb
04-13-2014, 06:25 PM
Hodgdon data at there website lists 1.200" col with 4.8 gr Titegroup with a 230 gr LRN. I would guess your ok with your lower 4.4 gr loading. Set the col you need for the round to chamber. Start at 4.0 gr (Hodgdon data) if you feel safer and work up. http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

gray wolf
04-13-2014, 07:07 PM
Nose length effect OAL -- bullet in the case effects pressure, The advise in the above post is very sound.

LittleBill
04-13-2014, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the quick responses guys! I will start with 4.0 gr and work my way up from there.