PDA

View Full Version : Era's of Rossi Pumas?

Ragnarok
04-13-2014, 01:17 PM
own a couple Rossi M92 carbines now...one I bought new just a few years back Taurus/Rossi/Braztech with bolt safety. The store I bought it from had a fair selection at the time..and I chose a stainless/saddle-ringless .44 mag carbine.

My newest Rossi is an older version in .44-40 a standard blue saddle-ring carbine. It's Interarms imported..no Puma head receiver medallion or 'Puma' stamped into receiver. No extra safety..steel mag-tube follower..the bottom of the receiver is profiled more/closer to a original Win M92..wood is profiled a bit more like an original carbine as well.

Not just a lot of markings. The only thing on the receiver is the serial number across the bottom/front of the receiver 'Winchester-style'. The barrel has the maker(Amadeo Rossi SA)..the importer stamp out in front of forearm on side of barrel...caliber and 'made in Brazil'...no model number either(which my newer stainless has)

Was just curious as to roughly when my older .44-40 carbine was made...and to what era's of Rossi M92's had brass puma medallions...and when they used the puma head receiver stamp.

I'm guessing my 'new' Rossi .44-40 to be maybe 1980's/90's manufacture...and the 'Puma headed' Pumas to be earlier made guns.

So is there any way to get a rough date for when a Rossi M92 was made??

TXGunNut
04-13-2014, 02:26 PM
As someone who is looking forward to adding a Rossi 92 I'd be interested as well. There seems to be considerable variation in quality and features over the years. I'm thinking Ranch Dog's site where they discuss all things Rossi may be a good place to start.

maglvr
04-14-2014, 02:10 AM
I'll bet, if you get out your magnifying glass, and look that 44-40 receiver over very carefully, you will see a very tiny "SRC-65", "mod. 65", etc., somewhere on it.
And don't forget to check up front by where the forend rests, and under the lever too. ;-)

pietro
04-14-2014, 04:24 PM

The "Puma" brand name is a trademark registered to, and owned by, Legacy Sports (LSI).

When LSI's contract with Rossi expired, they re-assigned the Puma name to Chiappa (Italy) for use on their M92's & M86's.

You should be able to get your answer from LSI's Customer Service Dept.