PDA

View Full Version : First post, hi everyone! Finally got a chronograph, some questions

Doc1982
04-13-2014, 12:58 PM
I finally broke down and got myself a chronograph! It's an RCBS Ammomaster, and so far it's functioned flawlessly.

So of course I had to run every load I've worked up through it to see what the numbers were. I actually plan to do a separate post about that in the future, I'm working up quite a few loads for 7.62 Nagant.

For the most part, velocities for all the other calibers I'm loading (7.62 Nagant, 9mm and 7.62x54r) were about what I'd worked out they would be with pen and paper. But when I ran my 32 acp cast loads, they were way on the low side. Lyman lists a 75 gr cast RN at .975, with 1.9gr of 700x at 895 fps. I worked up to a 76gr very slightly flat nosed bullet at .970 with 1.9 of 700x. My velocities were 696-725 fps. This seems quite slow for what they list as a max load. In comparison, Win white box was 751-796 and PPU was 731-815. Everything was run through a Kel-Tec P32.

Any thoughts as to what's going on here? I was really aiming for closer to 850 or so.

44man
04-13-2014, 02:38 PM
Can't predict or match the test guns or barrels used. I never, ever use one to work loads, figures have nothing to do with how accurate a gun or load is.

Tatume
04-13-2014, 02:45 PM
Welcome aboard. Sounds like your maximum handload is right in line with the factory ammo. I certainly wouldn't try to better the factory ammo in that chambering. The chronograph appears to be doing its job, and you've gained valuable information.

Changeling
04-13-2014, 02:49 PM
Well, if Lyman says it, it must be (I forget the word).

Doc1982
04-13-2014, 03:25 PM
Well thanks! It shoots to the same point of aim as Fiocchi, which is what I usually carry in it. I'm running low on that though, so I only ran 1 round through and got 780.

Considering what the pistol is, I really shouldn't be expecting too much from it I guess. Short barrel, almost non-existent sights. But it's so small it can go anywhere. I'll just consider it good practice ammo ;) Now if I can only find more brass (or my own half the time with this pistol).

Larry Gibson
04-13-2014, 04:31 PM
Let's see;

Different test gun

Different barrel

Different chamber

Probable different barrel length

Different bullet

Different cases with probable different case capacity

Different lube

Different alloy

Different lot of 700X

Different chronograph with probable different distance to start screen

Different atmospheric conditions

Different etc., etc., etc.

Different everything........so why should we wonder that your results were "different" from Lyman's? Point is everything you tested was different and with a small cartridge like the 32 ACP any change can make a big difference.......exactly as you've found.

Larry Gibson

Doc1982
04-13-2014, 09:31 PM
Let's see;

Different test gun

Different barrel

Different chamber

Probable different barrel length

Different bullet

Different cases with probable different case capacity

Different lube

Different alloy

Different lot of 700X

Different chronograph with probable different distance to start screen

Different atmospheric conditions

Different etc., etc., etc.

Different everything........so why should we wonder that your results were "different" from Lyman's? Point is everything you tested was different and with a small cartridge like the 32 ACP any change can make a big difference.......exactly as you've found.

Larry Gibson

True true. I expected to loose some velocity due to the shorter barrel, but I didn't expect it to be so much. I've only been reloading for a few months, and I guess I just got lucky that other loads were much closer to what I was expecting. Learning is never a bad thing!

kawasakifreak77
04-14-2014, 05:25 AM
I just got my first chrony myself. It'll open your eyes to what you've been doing. Looks like you're well on your way!

Pb2au
04-14-2014, 11:03 AM
Welcome to the site!
Mr. Gibson wrapped it up neatly as usual.
Clearly you are in an Apples to Oranges comparison. But, it is still interesting results!
44Man also hits on a good point. Regardless to what the numbers in the books say, each gun will be a little different. So if you Keltec is shooting fine, mission accomplished. Unless you plan on moose hunting with it. Then you might want to rethink your strategy......:kidding: