PDA

View Full Version : Gunshow beauties

pull the trigger
04-13-2014, 07:40 AM
I passed on a Marlin Texan in really nice shape in 35 rem at the syracuse gun show yesterday. I love that straight grip stock but couldnt talk the guy down off the $700 he was stuck on. Really need a 30-30 for my collection though not another 35. Kind of wish i had the coin for it. Ended up bringing bome a marlin 29 pump 22lr that is beautiful. Only one I have ever seen. Dont know how to post pics, sorry. I also passed on a straight grip 39 that was pretty nice but the stock was sloppy on the wrist and the tip of the mag tube was dinged up. Was $600 too much, I thought it was.

Artful
04-13-2014, 08:47 AM
Nice trim looking 22LR pump you picked up
http://www.nramuseum.org/the-museum/the-galleries/the-new-prosperity/case-48-the-booming-arms-industry/marlin-model-29n-pump-action-rifle.aspx

The book called Marlin Firearms A History of the Guns and the Company that made them, Written by LT. Col. William S. Brophy, USAR, Ret. It has a short section on the 29. It says that the model 29 is very similar to the model 20. The only difference is that the 29 has a round barrel and a smooth fore end. The 29's were produced along side the model 20 as a cheaper model - round barrel only, fixed rear sight and plain ungrooved fore arm. I have never seen any variance in this model other than the 29N with the thicker receiver that came out towards the end of production.
Also. according to my book, the 29 had a 23" barrel and a half-length magazine. The Model 37 had a 24" barrel and a full-length magazine. The Older Model 20 had Octagon barrels.

The book also tells how to take down the rifle.

The Marlin 29's was made from 1913-1916.

The patents taken out on a weapons system were quite often several years from Patent to Item.

The Model 20 was it's predecessor, made from 1907-1922, which was barely preceeded by the Model 18...1906-1909
It was designed for 22 short, 22 long, and 22 long rifle cartridges but NOT modern High Velocity ones, so I'd use only Standard Velocity in it.

Oh, and don't dry fire the older 22's they were not designed for that, and if you do you will wind up with a buggered up chamber and a burr where the firing pin hits the older soft metal.

I hope this helps.