PDA

View Full Version : 9mm, 115gr LCRN, 3.5gr Hodgdon Clays, 1.100 COAL

Jonaz15
04-13-2014, 01:54 AM
BLUF: Is this load ok to shoot and has anyone used a similar combo for their plinker ammo?

9mm, 115gr Lead Cast Round Nose, 3.4-3.5gr Hodgdon Clays, 1.100"-1.108" (min-max)COAL -

I am new to reloading 9mm due to my quest of reducing the overall cost of shooting. I will be shooting this out of my xd-9sc(3") and glock17(4.5"barrel). I picked up some "Hodgdon Clays" powder at a gun show because it was the only powder that would work for handgun cartridges that was available. Here near Fort Hood a dealer carries 115gr 9mm LCRN bullets that I purchased (500ct). I want to come up with an acceptable load for my 9mm handguns without doing 10 test runs of reloaded bullets. Any information or input will help.

I had found info on reloader's nest that has this loaded to 3.6gr at 1.168" COAL. I found this after I loaded my rounds and wonder if the .068" will make a difference.

This is my first post so be gentle and I hope to contribute some in the future with some .308 or 5.56 tutorials.

MtGun44
04-13-2014, 11:00 AM
Have you gone to the Hodgdon site and checked their data? They have a really excellent site.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

You should have several loading manuals so you can cross reference loading data to be sure
before you try.

Bill

rintinglen
04-13-2014, 02:57 PM
While I am in general concurrence with the advice on getting at least one good manual and double checking it against published sources, sometimes, as in this case, it doesn't help.

The only pressure tested data for that powder in your cartridge in the 4 manuals I checked is that from Hogdon. Lyman, Speer, and Lee have nothing for Clays and 115 grain projectiles. And quite frankly, Hogdon's data seems low to me. They show a 115 FMJ with a start load that is 5% higher than the max load listed for the 115 LCRN. That is contrary to most experienced casters expectation. All things being equal, a lead boolit generally will produce less pressure than a similar jacketed bullet. I seriously question whether that 3.0 Clays start load will function your pistols. I have about 50 9 mm's awaiting my attention right now for exactly that reason--the start load that worked in my S&W M-39 won't function either of my other three 9 mm's. Because of the lack of cross-referable data, you are going to have do some experimenting yourself. Since I doubt that you have access to pressure testing equipment, what I recommend is this.

Load 5 cartridges with the start load, then 5 more with .2 grains more powder, then 5 with .2 grains more. In this case, 5 with 3.0 grains, 5 with 3.2 grains, and 5 with 3.4 grains. Shoot them in that order, paying close attention to felt recoil and how far the brass flies when (or if) the gun ejects the case. Compare them with the recoil and ejection pattern of factory ammunition. The lightest load that is reliably functions your gun is where you want to stop, then load up 25 of that load and try them. If you have any problems bump the charge up to the next higher load. I realize that you would like to avoid laboriously testing, but it really can't be helped. What works for me in my gun may not work for you in yours. You'll have to find your own best load.

It is unlikely, but possible, that you may get to the top listed load and still not have good function. In that case, call Hogdon's. Many people do not realize that Hogdon has a service department, some of whom are very knowledgeable, and all of whom have access to the latest information coming out of their ballistic lab.

Good luck and good shooting.

Ps. MtnGun44 wrote a sticky on loading the 9MM that is solid gold. You really ought to peruse it if you are planning on loading cast in the 9 MM Luger cartridge.

Jonaz15
04-13-2014, 05:21 PM
Thanks Rintinglen,

I have found the same through my research on several forums that through testing all of the lower loads, they do not reliably function the action on most semis. I have found some that use the max load and even prefer a little hotter.

I have loaded 10 qty in increments stepping up from 3.0gr.

I have used the hodgdon site and appreciate it as a resource. I do have several reload manuals. I was searching for experiences with this load that I thought someone might have some around here. Through my experience on reloading rifle, all published data is understandably on the weak side giving a factor of safety.

@Tazman,
I have found that most people that want to start reloading are scared off by people commenting that you might blow up with the slightest misstep during the reloading process. Although there is a necessary precaution needed when dealing with this, I think that scare comments may not be the best way to answer questions.

Jonaz15
04-22-2014, 11:10 PM
I tested loads for 9x19mm with 115gr lead cast round nose boolits using Hodgdon Clays and IMR 700-x in my Springfield XD-9sc. Both powders performed flawlessly with my setup. Zero FTFs Zero FTE. None of the primers on any of the spent casings showed signs of high pressure. Loadings with Clays ran from 3.0gr-3.6gr in 3 x .2gr increments. Loadings with 700-x ran from 3.2gr-3.8gr in 3 x .2gr increments. The variance is due to the the flake powder not metering well out of my lee auto disk pro. Listed below are my results.

Hogdgon Clays
3.0-3.2 gr 1.100-1.105 OAL - 10 rounds fired, light recoil, brass ejected less distance than normal, no signs of extreme pressures, no noticeable loss of accuracy or key holing, sweet smoke blast from the muzzle.

3.2-3.4 gr 1.105-1.110 OAL - 20 rounds fired, light to moderate recoil, brass ejected in normal pattern to factory loads, and same other results as listed above. This was my favorite load with clays.

3.4-3.6 gr 1.110-1.115 OAL - 20 rounds fired, snappy recoil, brass ejected in high arching pattern, and same other results as listed above.

IMR 700-x
3.2-3.4 gr 1.100-1.105 OAL 10 rounds fired, light recoil, brass ejected less distance than normal, no signs of extreme pressures, no noticeable loss of accuracy or key holing, sweet smoke blast from the muzzle.

3.4-3.6 gr 1.110-1.115 OAL 10 rounds fired, light to moderate recoil, brass ejected in normal pattern to factory loads, filled case to an easy to observe line (just below tar line from sealed and crimped factory load casings), and same other results as listed above. This was my favorite load with 700-x.

3.6-3.8 gr 1.110-1.115 OAL 10 rounds fired. For some reason when I upped the auto disk I was getting a high variance in metering and weighed two that were 4 gr. 10 rounds fired, snappy recoil, brass ejected in high arching pattern, and same other results as listed above.

In conclusion all variations worked. The middle to low charged loads were preferred. Don't shy away from shotgun powder for 9mm in 115gr. There was never any signs of high pressures from observing primers and all loaded rounds' recoil were less than 9mm 115gr +p factory loads I have fired in the past. I hope this is helpful to anyone in the future. If you have questions about these loads please ask.

MR40
09-27-2014, 02:04 AM
Jonaz15, are you still using the IMR 700-X with your 9mm XDS?

I am just starting to reload 9mm with the 700-X,

The bullet I am using is a 115 GR LRN Coated - http://ibejiheads.com/product_info.php?products_id=3

For my load set I am using Winchester Small Pistol Primers, Armscor 1 used range brass I police when shooting, the Ibejiheads and 700-X

I pulled the load Data from Hodgdon website showing,
IMR 70-X
Bul. Dia .356"
C.O.L. 1.100"
Start 3.3 grs. to max load 3.7 grs.

So I just loaded (15) @ 3.2 to 3.3, (15) @ 3.4 and (10) @ 3.6

From reading your post, I was wondering what LRN bullets you are loading along with primers and how your results are doing 5 months later?

Also on a second note I was looking to see if anyone has a direction on LRN 115gr load data for Alliant Power Pistol, I called them and they had no direction for me for LRN coated.

So is anyone else loading 115gr 9mm LRN coated with power pistol and if so were did you find your load data.

thanks in advance for your help, I will post my 40S&W in a new thread