PDA

View Full Version : New Digital Lyman 25 pound bottom pour

Old Caster
04-13-2014, 12:10 AM
I noticed that the new Lyman pot is now on the market so if any of you are wanting to get a new pot, at least check it out to see if it is a good deal. I think it was a bit less than $250 but didn't read much about it. I can't remember if it was at Natchez or Midsouth but expect you can find it if you look a bit.

SciFiJim
04-13-2014, 09:27 PM
Lyman Mag 25 Digital Melting Furnace 110 Volt The Lyman Mag 25 Digital Melting Furnace was designed for the high volume bullet caster in mind. With 850 watts of power, the furnace is quick to heat up, even with the increased 25 pound pot capacity. The digital display on the front panel shows both the actual lead temperature as well as the desired temperature setting. Precise furnace operation is enhanced by the simple key pad controls. Loaded with features high volume casters need like a universal mould guide, warming shelf for moulds and a storage compartment. Features: - Advanced digital thermostat control with simple to use key pad - Separate digital displays for temp. setting and actual lead temp. - 25 pound capacity - Universal mould guide accepts most Lyman, RCBS, Redding/Saeco & Lee moulds - Built-in storage compartment - Powerful 850 watt heating system - Warming shelf for pre-heating mould blocks - Reliable bottom pour valve system -

Built in PID and a hot plate for reheating molds! Considering the price of PIDs, this is a great deal. It is listed at Midway for $250.

Djones
04-13-2014, 09:29 PM
I think it is made in pollution rich China.

ratitude
04-13-2014, 09:31 PM
It's not made at all. Status has been "coming soon" for a year and a half.

gtgeorge
04-13-2014, 09:47 PM
It's not made at all. Status has been "coming soon" for a year and a half.
Exactly as I saw the ready date has kept changing for well over a year.

I was tired of waiting for my Master Pot and wanting to get away from the Lee pots. So I ordered an RCBS and put it on my own PID 2 days later. It will serve nicely until the Master Pot is ready and delivered later this year.

ratitude
04-13-2014, 10:30 PM
Yep, I gave up on waiting too. I haven't built a PID yet as many other projects are much more urgent. I'll probably get around to building one before this thing is actually in stock. I hate to be so pessimistic but this has drug out week by week and month by month for a very long time.

uscra112
04-14-2014, 12:39 AM
How hard can it be to get a product like that to market? I did far more complex systems than that in 90 days when I was working ! That and many other things make me wonder about Lyman's management. "Course having GM holding a gun to your head is a terrific motivator.

gpb
04-14-2014, 06:46 PM
I suspect that the engineers had the design and specifications worked out in three to four months. The delay is probably due to the lawyers having to work out all the warnings and other legal language needed to slow down the morons that will sue Lyman when they burn themselves.

dragon813gt
04-14-2014, 07:27 PM
I suspect that the engineers had the design and specifications worked out in three to four months. The delay is probably due to the lawyers having to work out all the warnings and other legal language needed to slow down the morons that will sue Lyman when they burn themselves.

I suspect that the PID controls aren't surviving due to the heat. Having it mounted to the pot is not a good location if you want the control to last a long time. This pot is a "unicorn" at this point since it was supposed to be on the shelves two years ago.

cbrick
04-14-2014, 07:41 PM
I suspect that the PID controls aren't surviving due to the heat. Having it mounted to the pot is not a good location if you want the control to last a long time. This pot is a "unicorn" at this point since it was supposed to be on the shelves two years ago.

I think it was the 2012 SHOT Show where Lyman introduced it. Or was it the 2011 Show? It been pushed back 3-6 months at a crack ever since. Yep, heat is the very worst thing for electronics and an 800 degree lead melting pot just can't be a good thing to clamp it to. At this point I'm wondering if it will ever be produced.

Rick

leftiye
04-16-2014, 05:03 AM
How hard can it be to get a product like that to market? I did far more complex systems than that in 90 days when I was working ! That and many other things make me wonder about Lyman's management. "Course having GM holding a gun to your head is a terrific motivator.

They're like the NRA, and H&R firearms. Inexplicable choices madly clung to. I just bought another Lyman model 61 pot.

birddog
04-21-2014, 09:11 PM
Looked at the Lyman for about 3 days and then jumped ship and went to magma for their masterpot with pid controller.
Said I would have it within 2 months.
Charlie