PDA

View Full Version : Range after action question

Someflyers
04-12-2014, 03:20 PM
Wish I could get a decent pic of what I saw but here goes...put the first 21 rounds of home made cast boolits (COWW +2% SN) lubed with TAC-1, through my 1911 and they went bang just fine with 5gr of 700X. However, when I cleaned the barrel, I noticed one groove that had a smear of something all the way from 1/4" in all the way to the end of the barrel. I compared what I saw with the pics of various levels of leading that someone linked to on this forum but nothing looked similar. What I could tell was there was little to no leading except this one groove.

It only took me about 200 brush strokes from a rather loose fitting brass brush to remove the stuff (whatever it was) so I'm leaning towards it not being lead but something along the lines of melted lube.

The rounds were accurate and no failures of any kind.

Any thoughts??

Dusty Bannister
04-12-2014, 03:32 PM
I think you might consider detailing the bullet and sized diameter. For a 225 grain bullet you are right at the max according to the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 3rd edition. For a 200 gr bullet, you are about .2 gr below max.

Is this a new gun and a new load?

Without details, it might be suspected that you have a rough spot in that groove, and perhaps marginal bullet fit so once the leading started, it continued to build. Other grooves were not affected so check the barrel closely to see what you issue is.
Best guess without adequate information. Good luck.

Someflyers
04-12-2014, 03:55 PM
Sorry about that:

200gr SWC sized to .452.

I had a couple of manuals that contradicted each other and had to interpolate between max loads and came up with 5.3. So figured I was right I'm the middle.

Someflyers
04-12-2014, 06:11 PM
Oops. Just re read my OP. Not 700x. 5gr Unique.

Loaded 700x in my 9mm last night. Must have had that on my brain.

Dusty Bannister
04-12-2014, 06:15 PM
"Sigh"