PDA

View Full Version : Had a blast at the knob...knob creek that is

gew98
04-12-2014, 09:53 AM
Was a good day at the knobber yesterday. Managed several thousand ball and tracer projos. Got a couple 8 lb bottles of surplus powder. A bunch of M1 carbine parts I needed , an M1 carbine bayonet. Traded my Rockola high wood I cut early stock for a grogeous late Inland stock and got some $boot$ as well. Did'nt find an early type 30 rd magazines so had to settle for some M2 marked type mags...I don't like them as much as the early pattern 30 rd mags. Anyhow gonna head back to the knob in a few minutes to take mini me and the wife as they insist on going.

missionary5155
04-12-2014, 10:50 AM
Good morning
That is on my list ! I would so like to hold the handles of a "Ma Duc" again.
Mike in Peru

Pb2au
04-12-2014, 02:29 PM
Missing it this year.
Unfortunately, I have a grandmother that is finishing her journey on this mortal coil, and a dog just out of surgery. So, sticking close to my mom and dad and helping them with my grandmother and the wife is nursing the dog.
Knob Creek is a hoot, and the vendors section is almost too big to comprehend! Looking at the hardware there is like a history lesson. Love it.
Glad you are having fun!

psychicrhino
04-12-2014, 02:31 PM
Is this a swap meet ? Just never heard of it. Sounds fun though.

square butte
04-12-2014, 02:38 PM
Machine gun shoot with all the trimmings... At Knob Creek, KY

Smoke4320
04-12-2014, 02:42 PM
If you are a shooter and have never been to knob creek .. Put it on your list
its probably the most fun you will have .. especially the night shoot..
get a seat on top of the cafeteria about 1.5 hours BEFORE it starts and wait for the fun to begin...
you will also see nearly every gun you can think of either under the sales building or on the firing lines ...

KYShooter73
04-12-2014, 03:16 PM
It a lot of fun. I've gone 4 or 5 times, but it has been a while. Oh well, didn't have the money to go this year anyway.

gew98
04-12-2014, 09:47 PM
It a lot of fun. I've gone 4 or 5 times, but it has been a while. Oh well, didn't have the money to go this year anyway.

What irked me is that they went from $10 to $15 to get in. With their TV money and merchandising there was no need for that increase !.

crowbuster
04-12-2014, 10:56 PM
Always been in october, never made it in the spring. Sure is a good time.

DIRT Farmer
04-12-2014, 11:01 PM
I'm afraid it would be to addictive.

Sgtonory
04-12-2014, 11:07 PM
I was there Friday as well. Picked up 25k primers and 40LBS of WC875 going to try it for 308 and 7.62x54r. Always a great time.

JeffinNZ
04-13-2014, 06:28 PM
Must be a great venue for 'once fired' brass.

KYCaster
04-13-2014, 09:24 PM
I just got home from a lllloooooooonnnnnggggg weekend there. 1PM to 5PM Thur., 7:30AM to 8:30PM Fri., 8AM to 10PM Sat. and 8AM to 6PM today. I'm gettin' way too old for that kind of work. It's been 10+ yrs. since I worked gun shows, now I remember why I gave it up.

Over all, a very enjoyable time though. I spoke briefly with Sgtonory Fri. He's one of the few Cast Boolit members I know by sight. If I do this again I'll get a CB hat or t-shirt so we can meet. If your kid got a free 50BMG case, that was from Tim and me at TNW Firearms.

Powder was in VERY SHORT supply. Some primers were available at prices that weren't completely outrageous and they disappeared quickly, but there were bullets and brass in military and LE cals. in abundance. I say "in abundance", but.....there was lots of it available but it didn't last long due to some pretty decent prices. I snagged a 30 cal. ammo can full of 55 gr. .223 for $70/K from Jeff Bartlett at GIBrass, which is the best price I've seen in a few years. I was lucky to get that at 9AM Sat.....he sold out a few minutes later. He had sold the first truck load by noon Fri. He still had some surplus powder late Sat., I guess that's a good sign. I don't think he even set up Sun.

Tim brought about 100K 50 cal. AP and tracers and 50K or so 50BMG brass and sold all of it at the best prices I've heard of recently. Some of it was in pretty sorry condition, but everybody seemed happy to see it available again.

Now, this isn't your run-of-the-mill gun show, but one thing I noticed was the AR15 scene......or rather the change in it. I didn't see as many guys carrying AR's as I normally see at local shows. I expect to see lots of AK's in this crowd, but this time it seemed to tip more toward the AK vs. the AR. Lots of people said they didn't see racks full of AR's like they expected. Now that everybody and his brother is an AR manufacturer, maybe the market is finally getting saturated. Recent prices seem to be getting back to '06 levels.

But............a good friend sold out all the 80% AR lower receivers he had (a number that would probably amaze you), all his in-the-white lowers and uppers and most of his raw forgings in .223 and .308. I'm not sure what's going on but, at the very least, I think there's a statement about the current political climate in there somewhere.

Anyhoooooo...........a pretty good weekend overall...........

Jerry

Edit to add..............

BTW..........Check this out.........

http://tnwfirearms.com/asr-aero-survival-rifle.html

Tim's original design...........I been to three county fairs and a rat killin and I never seen anything I like more than this.

Komodoj
04-13-2014, 09:28 PM
That's my dream!!! Always wanted to go!!!!

Sgtonory
04-13-2014, 09:31 PM
Was good seeing you again Jerry. Thanks for the heads up on the use of WC860 as i walked away with 40lbs of it. I would love to be there all 3 days but i was worn out after the first day.

KYCaster
04-13-2014, 09:37 PM
Was good seeing you again Jerry. Thanks for the heads up on the use of WC860 as i walked away with 40lbs of it. I would love to be there all 3 days but i was worn out after the first day.

I was worn out after the first day too!